Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Love that he's now a multiple AA player. A much better reflection of his overall career than if he'd finished with only one.

That said, IMO he didn't actually deserve to make the team this year. I'm sure others will disagree and point to statistics (especially goal assists) that support his cause, but I don't think stats tell the full story of how front-ended his good form was this year. Second half of the season his form trailed off with the team and he was, despite a few exceptions, mostly poor.

But whatever. I'm still psyched he made it. It's recognition for a brilliant career and helps to make up for the ridiculous decision not to select him last year.

Last edited:

BIGANT

Premiership Player
Jan 19, 2006
Glenelg
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a weird one, happy for him but didn't deserve a guernsey based on his form since the bye. Hope he leaves his sulkiness to the minor round because we need him up and about wk1.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
He was stiff to miss last year tbh.

Agreed, had a huge year in '18- like the rest of the team he was flying up until the bye this year and then died in Khyber as the H&A season wound down - Nonetheless this year's AA guernsey seems about fair for his largely consistent and highly influential output over the past few seasons.

Last edited:

bph25

All Australian
Nov 13, 2007
G town
AFL Club
Geelong
He definitely deserved AA. Was the most rounded tall of the year.
Had better season then Darling who is also starting on the ground. Ben brown has a huge flaw in his game and if he. Didn’t get fed that 10 goals also only kicked what Hawkins did. One trick pony Ben and his flopping antics are not AA worthy. 44 frees for 64 goals.

Tailed off. Thought he was better last year

Who would you in the team in his place?

I know Hawkins didn't kick a goal in the last 2 games & was also goalless against Port

And yes Brown kicked more goals on the back of that massive 10 goal haul, but he also had 3 goalless games.

The difference between the 2 is that when Brown went goalless he had just 1 goal assist, while when Hawkins was goalless he had 4 goal assists - so when Hawkins is held goalless he finds other ways of being involved, but when Brown is goalless he is virtually invisible

I'm happy with Hawkins ahead of Brown

Also currently the best key forward in the game according to the AFL player ratings....

Hawk.png

Clearly insignificant....

Love that he's now a multiple AA player. A much better reflection of his overall career than if he'd finished with only one.

That said, IMO he didn't actually deserve to make the team this year. I'm sure others will disagree and point to statistics (especially goal assists) that support his cause, but I don't think stats tell the full story of how front-ended his good form was this year. Second half of the season his form trailed off with the team and he was, despite a few exceptions, mostly poor.

But whatever. I'm still psyched he made it. It's recognition for a brilliant career and helps to make up for the ridiculous decision not to select him last year.

And given they are 7 years apart... thats pretty remarkable to be at that level for that duration.

GO Catters

I do feel a bit for THE CAT WRANGLER as everytime this comes up it there's a bit of irony that goes with it. We all have had our certain statements go south on us.

But to be fair, Tomma had his injury and down period... but damn has he shed that and made it count since.

GO Catters

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Another insipid finals display from Tomahawk.

What he did in the 2011 GF will always be legendary, but ultimately that game has proved to be an outlier as far as September performances go for him. He just isn't clutch in finals. That miss tonight was a momentum-killing choke, there's no way around that.

Back