Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Had 6 disposals in the first quarter when we moved the ball with a little purpose. Then he enjoyed the fruits of our stagnant ball movement. I was at the game and sat there watching us wait until they'd pushed back and then we'd bomb the ball.

He wasn't flash but he was impacted by our gameplan etc.

Bit like people questioning Selwood's form tonight when he was one of a few who kept putting his head over the ball.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
Had 6 disposals in the first quarter when we moved the ball with a little purpose. Then he enjoyed the fruits of our stagnant ball movement. I was at the game and sat there watching us wait until they'd pushed back and then we'd bomb the ball.

He wasn't flash but he was impacted by our gameplan etc.

Bit like people questioning Selwood's form tonight when he was one of a few who kept putting his head over the ball.
He shat the bed when presented with a gimme goal, weak as piss again from a senior player in a big finals moment

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
He shat the bed when presented with a gimme goal, weak as piss again from a senior player in a big finals moment

He may very well have shat the bed. However, watching the way we kicked the ball into the 50m tonight was very frustrating as well. Gave him very little chance and made Howe and Moore look like Team of the Century defenders.

Gogeelong

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Our key forwards are non existent.

Hawkins thanks for the service but you look cooked.
LEAD if the game is not going your way.
Become another back-man if need be.
The coaches must try something! Plan B....Plan C.... something!

Sav is years away, if he gets there.

I think that Henry could be trained up as a forward.
I also think Menegola can have an impact.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
He's a bit stiff that we weren't able to get over the line in that final against North where he kicked 5 or 6; it's been largely forgotten because we lost the match, but that was one of the most dominant finals performances I've seen from a key forward, particularly in the modern era. Simply and utterly unstoppable in the last quarter.

But outside of that and the 2011 GF, there's no escaping the fact that his finals record is poor. A few more decent performances in there, but a fair few horrible ones.

I do have a lot of sympathy for him though - our game plan and a lack of support in the forward line, both of which are exacerbated come finals, have most certainly played a role. Still, there's no one else to blame for missing sitters.

Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Its like a what came first, the chicken or the egg scenario for me.
I dont know if Hawkins wont lead because they keep kicking the ball sideways or if we keep kicking the ball sideways because Tom wont lead. Either way, Hawkins has to give more than hes giving or give it away. When you look at the second efforts from the likes of Kennedy, Reiwoldt, Cameron it spretty damning on Hawkins.
He sets the tone in the forward line, hes not having a dip, and thats filtering down to others. Its bad enough we are carrying Rohan who couldnt get a kick out of cocaine, weve now got Dahlaus and Ablett just jogging around and going through the motions in a final

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
He may very well have shat the bed. However, watching the way we kicked the ball into the 50m tonight was very frustrating as well. Gave him very little chance and made Howe and Moore look like Team of the Century defenders.

Roughead, Moore both over 200cms and 3rd man up Howe and you people wonder why he can't do it on his own? Lol!

Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Roughead, Moore both over 200cms and 3rd man up Howe and you people wonder why he can't do it on his own? Lol!
Fair point
So that leaves at least 2 free forwards. Where are they. I cant remmeber seeing our small forwards near the drop of the ball all night.
Dahlaus is taking the piss out of the club, just doing the very bare minimum, Rohan cant get a kick, let alone even lay a tackle, Atkins has zero idea, and Ablett just could not be arsed on Friday night
Dont get me started on Sav always playing from behind

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair point
So that leaves at least 2 free forwards. Where are they. I cant remmeber seeing our small forwards near the drop of the ball all night.
Dahlaus is taking the piss out of the club, just doing the very bare minimum, Rohan cant get a kick, let alone even lay a tackle, Atkins has zero idea, and Ablett just could not be arsed on Friday night
Dont get me started on Sav always playing from behind

Doesn't matter they control the air and the drop, our little forwards lol!
Dalhaus Miers Atkins Ablett not able to win enough own ball just dominated.
Hawkins rendered ineffective game over.

Gogeelong

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
They should put a rocket under Hawkins. He must lead and not be stagnate wrestling in the goal square.
Play Henry there and Hawkins up the ground.
We must try something different even at this late stage.

Blics to his normal position, therefore Henry forward. Menegola to spend more time there also.
Stanley in is a given
Constable must come in as he can extract the ball
Guthrie on the wing
Maybe a wildcard like Buzza?

Drop Dahl he can not kick the ball from 35m even if he gets it
Rowan and Duncan out injured

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
If we want Tom to contribute..lets not wait till he has to be beat multiple opponents. He is at his best when there are other forward who seperate the defenders ..and he can go 1o1 ... but as we will still probably go for the thin control game again... I dont see i getting any easier for him.. he has to hit every chance

Last edited:

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont see i getting any easier for him.. he has to hit every chance

Problem is he *doesn't* tend to make the most of his chances in finals. This is what I mean when I say he isn't clutch. Even if one were to grant the premise that his low shots-on-goal rate in finals is all the midfield's fault, there's still the issue that when he *does* get chances, he converts at a considerably lower rate than he does during the home and away season.

Non-finals games: 234
Non-finals goals: 521 (2.23 per game)
Non-finals behinds: 274 (1.17 per game)

Finals games: 21
Finals goals: 29 (1.38 per game)
Finals behinds: 23 (1.10 per game)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Problem is he *doesn't* tend to make the most of his chances in finals. This is what I mean when I say he isn't clutch. Even if one were to grant the premise that his low shots-on-goal rate in finals is all the midfield's fault, there's still the issue that when he *does* get chances, he converts at a considerably lower rate than he does during the home and away season.

Non-finals games: 234
Non-finals goals: 521 (2.23 per game)
Non-finals behinds: 274 (1.17 per game)

Finals games: 21
Finals goals: 29 (1.38 per game)
Finals behinds: 23 (1.10 per game)

I cant argue with the premiss ... be interesting to have his vision for all those games.
I have this feeling if he was at Rich instead of Lynch ..he would be getting 4-5 goals..just cause of the speed of the ball coming in and the one on one chance that would happen due to the multi prone forwardline. The way we play has a drying affect on his form.. yes his kicking at times goes off ..he seems to get afected when his back is ordianry( so not sure how fit he is atm) .. but dropping marks and missing kicks , not going around the corner ..all this indicate to me he is a little muddled atm thru his lack of perfromance. He needs some easy goals to get his confidence going.. and I cant see that happening..

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Said if he don't play well last week we would be in trouble same again this week....if things don't go his way he goes in a shell

We dont try to get the best out of him .. we play the skinny possesion game .. it sets up to just clog the ball in the forwardline. Will that change this week ..unlikely. Scott has never been wrong.

Back