Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh for crying out loud. :drunk:

His exceptional performance last Friday has no relevance whatsoever to whether or not my appraisal of his performances in finals 2012-2018 is accurate or not. Even if I were to grant you that every single thing I said I his performances in finals 2012-2018 was wrong, I wouldn't be wrong *because of* his performance against Collingwood. A good game in the 2019 Semi Final does not change how good or bad his finals in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018 were.

This isn't complicated.

Why are you excluding 2011? Thought you said you can’t exclude stats you don’t like? Hmm... 🤔

Edit: and also, I thought this was about being “clutch” not finals form. Moving the goal posts now too!

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The thing about this weeks game is ,,it gives us a glimpse of a future when Tom is no longer at the club.. Really has been incredibly durable... Imagine if we had a player like Tom and he was as fragile of Rohan..

Must be a little reminder for the drafting group that they must keep on top of our future demand cause when he is no longer there ..our current options look all very limp

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The thing about this weeks game is ,,it gives us a glimpse of a future when Tom is no longer at the club.. Really has been incredibly durable... Imagine if we had a player like Tom and he was as fragile of Rohan..

Must be a little reminder for the drafting group that they must keep on top of our future demand cause when he is no longer there ..our current options look all very limp
It's a useful point. But then who would've thought during the Walker/Kersten years that we would have our Pods replacement with young Esava in the not too distant future?

Hopefully the kid Krueger breaks out and the highest pick we have this year is used on a potential Hawk replacement. And that Hawk can last a couple more years while we hunt players and develop them.

I hope the future doesn’t look like plugging a big hole with a makeshift solution.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a useful point. But then who would've thought during the Walker/Kersten years that we would have our Pods replacement with young Esava in the not too distant future?

Hopefully the kid Krueger breaks out and the highest pick we have this year is used on a potential Hawk replacement. And that Hawk can last a couple more years while we hunt players and develop them.

Sav in his third year now..is probably 2 or 3 away from being mature enough to be the #1.. so perhaps on track to replace Hawk..but there is no certainty in it ... all I'm saying is that we should be aware that the end is coming for our Premiership heros... and players like ruck and KPF are much harder to find replacements for. Hawkins clearly not significant... the thread op must have a very poor idea on what is significant.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope the future doesn’t look like plugging a big hole with a makeshift solution.
I hope that our future is not plugging holes either CE... I look at our rucks ...and I hope we aren't going to follow down that path .. our development of KPF has not been as good as id hope for. Sav looks promising .. Kruger could be too..we will see .

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope that our future is not plugging holes either CE... I look at our rucks ...and I hope we aren't going to follow down that path .. our development of KPF has not been as good as id hope for. Sav looks promising .. Kruger could be too..we will see .

To be fair, Sav looks one of the more promising young KPF's in the game right now. He has all the athletic attributes to make it. Just needs more time and better game knowledge which is slowly coming. I have little doubt he is part of our future. Just need to find one more for year 2 anno Hawkins

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
To be fair, Sav looks one of the more promising young KPF's in the game right now. He has all the athletic attributes to make it. Just needs more time and better game knowledge which is slowly coming. I have little doubt he is part of our future. Just need to find one more for year 2 anno Hawkins

All true... he is yet be the #1 guy some I say promising... let say if he comes out tonight and kicks 6 ..he will take a step or two up on promising. At the next leel down is Krueger.. who one can see he has KPP potential.. we will know more next year when he gets a game

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
All true... he is yet be the #1 guy some I say promising... let say if he comes out tonight and kicks 6 ..he will take a step or two up on promising. At the next leel down is Krueger.. who one can see he has KPP potential.. we will know more next year when he gets a game

Even if he kicks another 3 he will have performed well in two finals back to back. Last week, having more than matched it against a very handy group of WC talls was an excellent sign that he's progressing well.

Krueger also looks to have some good tools. I was hoping to see him play and game or two this year. You'd hope that he may even be given half a dozen next year.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Even if he kicks another 3 he will have performed well in two finals back to back. Last week, having more than matched it against a very handy group of WC talls was an excellent sign that he's progressing well.

Krueger also looks to have some good tools. I was hoping to see him play and game or two this year. You'd hope that he may even be given half a dozen next year.
I agree im being a hard marker.. i dont like the idea of pumping up the tyres too early... ..but being the #1 guy is a different situation. Lets see what he does... he has a high degree of dependancy on being vertical atm ... which is a fine talent ...but id like to see a bit more of what he showed in the geelong game where he turned and nailed one on the run.
Kruger at this stage is nothing more than worthy of his spot on the list..

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree im being a hard marker.. i dont like the idea of pumping up the tyres too early... ..but being the #1 guy is a different situation. Lets see what he does... he has a high degree of dependancy on being vertical atm ... which is a fine talent ...but id like to see a bit more of what he showed in the geelong game where he turned and nailed one on the run.
Kruger at this stage is nothing more than worthy of his spot on the list..

That x-factor would be great to see tonight. Lot resting on his shoulders.

According to 7 News tonight - Hawkins is in talks to sign a 1-year extension which would take him through to the end of next season

The deal is expected to be done without much fuss

Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
After 5 Goals tonight vs St.Kilda

Tom Hawkins has now moved to 578 Goals and equal leader of the Coleman Medal.

His 5 goals tonight saw him equal with Jarryd Roughead in 38th position overall while he went past some quality names

39. 575 - Simon Beasley WB
40. 575 - Simon Madden ES
41. 574 - Stephen Milne SK
42. 574 - Richard Osborne WB/Syd/Fitz

22 Goals to 600..question is will he make it in 2020?

Not bad for a bloke some have called insignificant.

His 5 goals tonight saw him equal with Jarryd Roughead in 38th position overall while he went past some quality names

Needs 3 goals a game, no management, no suspensions; just more than his current average. Great question, and great achievement if it was to be the winning GF goal....

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

Far better than three of those players, he just happens to be in an era where kicking huge bags is impossible.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
From todays Age, Eddie clearly was unhappy. Has he never forgiven us for 2011
"Collingwood president Eddie McGuire - commentating on Fox Footy - suggested that Hawkins had taken a dive, and while the Cats forward perhaps put a bit of mayo on his fall, there was little doubt he had been taken high by Carlisle."

"Collingwood president Eddie McGuire - commentating on Fox Footy - suggested that Hawkins had taken a dive, and while the Cats forward perhaps put a bit of mayo on his fall, there was little doubt he had been taken high by Carlisle."
Nor has Christian it seems. Hawkins won us that GF and should have been awarded the Norm Smith.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams

Eddie is a racist pig that let racism run rampant at his club without doing anything about and is too ******* gutless to comment on it now.

* that piece of s**t he doesn't deserve to be mentioned here or anywhere.

Back