Tom Hawkins dangerous tackle, Darragh Joyce concussed

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
‘He realised straight away’: Hawkins risks missing qualifying final after dangerous tackle

Hawkins will be sweating on the Match Review after a driving tackle appeared to concuss St Kilda’s Darragh Joyce on Saturday evening.
Joyce was subbed out of the game with head injury concerns after being caught from behind by Hawkins in the final term of the match at GMHBA Stadium.
The Match Review Officer Michael Christian will consider whether the tackle was slinging, rotating or driving and whether the opposition player was vulnerable.

Worpel received a 1 match ban for this tackle in Round 10

The Fox Footy experts seemed to be in agreement that Worpel deserved a suspension. Not sure what he was supposed to do in that situation. He was lower than Harry Cunningham and kind of pulled him back towards the ground. Seemed a bit freakish the way Cunningham's own momentum caused him to whiplash around in the tackle and his head hit the ground.

Joyce, by contrast, was virtually stationary when Hawkins hunted him down and drove him face forward into the turf.

It will be interesting to see if the AFL remain consistent with their policy of suspending players who concuss their opponent with a dangerous tackle.

Tom has the "good bloke" reputation working in his favour. He has plenty of friends in the media who always try to minimise his reportable offences.
But he doesn't exactly have a good record, does he? He's probably been cited by the MRO & suspended more times than any other current day player.

Last edited:
Has too be a week. Not worth two but definitely 1 based on past outcomes.

Interesting test the week after Redman was given a week straight up (this is obviously much more forceful then that rubbish decision).
Redman appealed his suspension. He went to the tribunal and had his charge downgraded from 'medium' to 'low'
So he only copped a fine.

Bontempelli wasn't hurt by that tackle. He played the game out with no ill effects .

Worpel's tackle was graded as 'medium impact', hence the 1 match ban
Cunningham was slightly hurt. he stayed down for a few seconds, but got to his feet and was okay

According to the AFL's tribunal guidelines, the Hawkins tackle should be worth 2 weeks.

Careless.... severe impact..... head high..... 3+ matches/tribunal
Careless.. high impact....... head high... 2 matches
Careless.... medium impact... head high..... 1 match
Careless.... low impact.......... head high.... Fine$$

Hawkins can't argue it was medium impact . Joyce stayed down hurt and was then helped from the ground and subbed out with concussion.

It will be an interesting test of the AFL rules. I mean, it's written there in black and white.
But we all know how the AFL loves to change the rules as they go and make exceptions for the superstars

Last edited:

Redman was a slinging action as was Worpel, this is nothing like that. This just seems like pure accident that he was concussed than anything else. There is nothing wrong with Hawkins tackle other than he fell onto Joyce's back. This one is just part of the game.
Nah... it's not just "sling tackles". That's a misconception which some people have. The AFL has made it a free kick for all "dangerous tackles" (where the tackled player is driven head first into the ground, or slung). It's been a reportable offence for a few years now when the force of the tackle hurts the player and they don't get to their feet immediately.

You said Worpel "slung" Cunningham, but I think he was way less culpable for that incident than Hawkins v Joyce
Worpel was stationary when he grabbed Cunningham and pulled him back towards the ground.
Cunningham's own forward momentum caused him to whip around.

Joyce had virtually stopped to a walk when Hawkins buried him with a late tackle.
That was all Tommy's mass, forward momentum and strength which caused Joyce's head to smash into the ground.

Joyce had disposed of the ball. He dished the handball off to teammate, so it was unnecessary for Hawkins to take him to ground so forcefully.

Last edited:
IMHO this is just a tackle and a risk that every player takes when they step in the field. But who knows with the MRO… similar to Nic Nat on Karl Amon a few years back for which NN got suspended. Also has similarities to the tackle on Duncan earlier this year, for which the player charged was eventually cleared. And in the Toby Greene case last round it was successfully argued that results of his actions were foreseeable, and I think you could say the same about Hawkins tackle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...=8ysEeMnhF9A&usg=AOvVaw179uBrcidIOhm9DRdVNQ1w

IMHO this is just a tackle and a risk that every player takes when they step in the field.

With all due respect, your opinion matters little. The rules are clear cut, rgeardless of what peoole think about it.
But who knows with the MRO…

The MRO has very clear guidelines in regards to this though.

Nothing to see here. Two players playing football, it was a perfect tackle (it should be on a highlight reel of how to tackle videos) Nick Holman copped two weeks this year after concussing Mitch Duncan and it was thrown out at the Tribunal. It will be a complete waste of time pursuing this great tackle any further. Hawkins did nothing wrong, he was in motion to tackle when the ball was knocked free, he should be applauded for his efforts, if he gets rubbed out then the tackle must be eradicated from the game altogether. The only supporters of any MRO involvement are simply Geelong haters. It was an unfortunate accident and if a 105kg man falls on you there is every chance you will get hurt along the way. What game are they playing out there? Any Tribunal action will result in Hawkins being totally exonerated within a few minutes.

Last edited:
Redman was a slinging action as was Worpel, this is nothing like that. This just seems like pure accident that he was concussed than anything else. There is nothing wrong with Hawkins tackle other than he fell onto Joyce's back. This one is just part of the game.

He pinned both arms and drove him head first in to the ground after he had disposed of the ball. Its been a dangerous tackle for years.

The only question is whether its High or Severe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won’t get any time for that. Christian may give it a week but will get cleared by the more sensible tribunal. Just a footy incident.

He pinned both arms and drove him head first in to the ground after he had disposed of the ball. Its been a dangerous tackle for years.

You cannot be serious? It was one of the best tackles i've seen this year, if anything Holman's was a double-action earlier this year and he got off. Hawkins tackle should be used in a coach's manual... on how to tackle properly. It was the hard playing surface that did the damage as it did with Mitch Duncan. Nothing to do with the player at all. If Hawkins misses any games for that then this game is in worse shape than i thought. He should be applauded for the effort not vilified for doing what all players are taught to do and he did it perfectly...

You cannot be serious? It was one of the best tackles i've seen this year, if anything Holman's was a double-action earlier this year and he got off. Hawkins tackle should be used in a coach's manual... on how to tackle properly. It was the hard playing surface that did the damage as it did with Mitch Duncan. Nothing to do with the player at all. If Hawkins misses any games for that then this game is in worse shape than i thought. He should be applauded for the effort not vilified for doing what all players are taught to do and he did it perfectly...

He crashed in to a guy who didnt even have the ball. How is that a great tackle ???

He crashed in to a guy who didnt even have the ball. How is that a great tackle ???
Joyce had the ball when Hawkins made the desperate lunge to tackle, It was one of the best tackles you will ever see. What was he supposed to do, stop mid-air? He forced the ball loose, the injury occurred by contact with the hard surface of the ground, not the footballing accident that happened. People who support any MRO citing of this tackle are insane, it's not even close to the two-action tackle by Nick Holman of the Suns on Mitch Duncan earlier this year. He rightly was exonerated at the Tribunal. This is just a media beat-up because it's finals time and footy fans being thje biased dumbos they are, lap it all up! The tackle was made when Joyce had the ball, unless Hawkins had X Ray vision how was he ever going to know the ball was knocked loose? I suspect the MRO will cite him, then it will go to Tribunal where the precedence has already been set and inside of a few minutes he will get OFF.

And the tribunal cleared him.

Which gets back to the point I’m making. It’s a bit Holman on Duncan but it’s also a bit Nic Nat on Amon.

I think the main difference for me is Holman got Duncan while he was trying to kick the ball. Unreasonable for him to not attempt a tackle at that point.

Hawkins drives Joyce into the turf with both arms pinned *after* the ball has been handballed away. It's close, but it's late.

I must of watched different footage because I certainly did not see what you have described here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back