Recommitted Tom Hawkins [re-signed for two more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Now let me preface with I think it’s next to no chance he leaves despite being out of contract but it’s time to finally discuss the 0.01% possibility he does

Coleman medal winner in career best, what’s he worth salary wise? And how many years would you offer?

No-one would offer more than 2 years. But he would be worth good money next year.

Now let me preface with I think it’s next to no chance he leaves despite being out of contract but it’s time to finally discuss the 0.01% possibility he does

Coleman medal winner in career best, what’s he worth salary wise? And how many years would you offer?

Interesting hypothetical, somewhat similar to the Robbie Tarrant example. Would be wanted by almost every club but what would they pay for that one or two years?

If Geelong doesn’t give him what he wants the fans would riot.

it is an interesting thought though, how high a club would go money wise. I could easily see a club like Carlton who is on the cusp of finals giving him 900 to a mill. It is interesting because I feel Hawkins is in career best form.

Interesting hypothetical, somewhat similar to the Robbie Tarrant example. Would be wanted by almost every club but what would they pay for that one or two years?
Difference would be Tarrant is contracted but Hawkins is not so the club has final say regardless of offers given to taz

He's accepted way less than what he could've got for his whole career to stay at Geelong. He has a farm just out of Geelong with his family there and the club is doing everything in its power to be competitive for a flag while he and Selwood are still playing. The chance he leaves is absolutely zero.

it does make the fact the Cats are chasing Cameron interesting

I know for a fact Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor accepted less pay so Geelong could offer Dangerfield a fair contract because they knew it would make them a better team. There's been nothing to suggest he's driven more by money now so the same thing would likely happen with Cameron. It's quite possible he hasn't re-signed because the amount the club can offer him depends on whether or not Cameron comes to Geelong.

it does make the fact the Cats are chasing Cameron interesting
Hawkins will stay without a contract until they know who's coming or going is my guess.

Min contract I would think would be sorted. Somewhere in the vicinity of Selwood, and Danger.

If we get no-one in then I expect he'll get a bump in his contract however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know for a fact Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor accepted less pay so Geelong could offer Dangerfield a fair contract because they knew it would make them a better team. There's been nothing to suggest he's driven more by money now so the same thing would likely happen with Cameron. It's quite possible he hasn't re-signed because the amount the club can offer him depends on whether or not Cameron comes to Geelong.

For sure. I expect this to happen. However, there must be a little bit of a temptation to go to another club for big money for a couple of years in the twilight of his career. He has done well at Geelong, and I could totally see another club who is knocking on the door of the finals offering him big money.

Having said that, I would be completely shocked if he doesn't stay.

No it doesn't. Hawkins is playing amazingly well but he won't be playing for much longer.
And Tigers have shown you can play 2 key forwards in the same team

However, there must be a little bit of a temptation to go to another club for big money for a couple of years in the twilight of his career. He has done well at Geelong, and I could totally see another club who is knocking on the door of the finals offering him big money.
He's a club legend, so is his father, he seems really happy and settled at Geelong, and just had his best season since 2012. No way he is walking away from that.

Begs the question why hasn’t he signed then?

has he or the cats put off talks till end of the year?
If he gets a flag this year does that factor into whether he decides to chase money and contract length
I think there are questions over how much money might be left depending on whether Jeremy Cameron, Shaun Higgins and Brad Crouch come along.

I really don't see the temptation of going for extra money for a guy like him. At best he'd get an extra $500k after tax by moving clubs. But over his career he'll probably make $5m or so after tax anyway in today's money. So an extra $500k isn't exactly life changing.

And what does he give up for that $500k? He and his family would either have to move to Melbourne or interstate or he'd have to spend 3 hours a day going up to Melbourne and back. Is that really what he'd want to do with young kids? I'd also back Geelong to be more successful over the next 2 years with him than any club who could offer him big bucks. Doesn't seem very tempting when you think about it.

Begs the question why hasn’t he signed then?

has he or the cats put off talks till end of the year?
If he gets a flag this year does that factor into whether he decides to chase money and contract length

Because at 32 years of age you never know when you're time is up.

If Geelong wins the Premiership-- it would make natural sense of Hawkins to walk away at the top of his game.

If Geelong lose a premiership he waits until he knows who Geelong can get in the door in '21 to assist him win another premiership. If it's no one then Hawkins resigns for 400-500k a year. If Geelong gets Jeremy Cameron or Higgins or another target Hawkins might accept 200k-300k next season to allow for a better chance on winning next year.

Because at 32 years of age you never know when you're time is up.

If Geelong wins the Premiership-- it would make natural sense of Hawkins to walk away at the top of his game.

If Geelong lose a premiership he waits until he knows who Geelong can get in the door in '21 to assist him win another premiership. If it's no one then Hawkins resigns for 400-500k a year. If Geelong gets Jeremy Cameron or Higgins or another target Hawkins might accept 200k-300k next season to allow for a better chance on winning next year.

Spot on.

He's accepted way less than what he could've got for his whole career to stay at Geelong. He has a farm just out of Geelong with his family there and the club is doing everything in its power to be competitive for a flag while he and Selwood are still playing. The chance he leaves is absolutely zero.

Surely that's more reason to take the last big pay check ?

Hawkins is honestly having the best season of any key forward since 2014 Buddy. He does a lot of around the ground work and is very unselfish. Even if Geelong do win, I think it is a very very low chance he doesn't play on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back