Remove this Banner Ad

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are you joking?
Carey's disposal averages never dropped in finals. He was just as consistent as he was in round 22.
He averaged 17 disposals, 7 marks, 2.5 goals in September.
He kicked 5+ goals in a final on five separate occasions.

Hawkins has only done it once and he has only kicked 3 goals or more once!
I cannot think of another dominant forward who has managed 500 career goals but stunk it up so consistently as what he has. And it's not like he hasn't had enough opportunities. He's played in 20 finals.
I did say 'in particular his Grand Finals'.

4 goals across 3 Grand Finals is hardly dominant.

It's also a lot harder for a big forward to be as dominant the way today's finals are played.

Snooza 100

Club Legend
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang Thirds. NewYork Knicks.
You make Tom Lynch out to be Levi Casboult or similar.
That's the price of talented key forwards in today's market. They are worth over a million per season. I don't see any gamble at all unless he has underlying health concerns because as a footballer, he is one of the best forwards in the country.

And as good as Hawkins was last year, Lynch has already matched that kind of output as recently as 2016

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=3457&pid2=1759&fid1=P&fopt1=2016&fid2=S

I'm not sure where this bashing of Lynch is coming from. and I can't believe I am one of a few who would take him over Hawkins if I had to pick today.
I guess we will wait and see what happens but I feel pretty good about Lynch's chances of having a superior season to Hawkins.
Too true..

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Denis Pagan once said you need a gorilla to play on a gorilla.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Are you joking?
Carey's disposal averages never dropped in finals. He was just as consistent as he was in round 22.
He averaged 17 disposals, 7 marks, 2.5 goals in September.
He kicked 5+ goals in a final on five separate occasions.

Hawkins has only done it once and he has only kicked 3 goals or more once!
I cannot think of another dominant forward who has managed 500 career goals but stunk it up so consistently as what he has. And it's not like he hasn't had enough opportunities. He's played in 20 finals.

In fairness to Hawkins, he's been largely the only genuine quality target Geelong have had in their forwardline for a long time. He's the one they put work in to stopping, and has little to no support. In finals who else are you going to put time in to stopping in that forward line?

He's a good forward, not a generational talent the way a Carey was, or Franklin is. He's also played his entire career in a good side, and isn't a player you'd build an entire team around the way Franklin or Carey were.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Hawkins was a gun last year, his best year, no reason to suggest he will tail off.
Lynch has come of a few seasons of injury and is yet to hit the track much less be compared to one of the best forwards in the league.
Once/if Lynch hits his straps he will be a great combination with Riewoldt, who does a lot of work outside 50 these days, and he is potentially a great pick up, but to expect him to outshine Hawkins this season is extremely optimistic.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Not to mention being played out of position for at least one season (ie. 2nd ruck in 2010.)
Tigers fans proving more and more everyday that they have no real understanding of the game beyond their very small fishbowl

I don’t even understand why they are being compared to each other in the first place

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Lynch is a big unknown, but he is a high reward unknown.
He could be anything from injury plagued handful of games a season to AA level dominant potentially Coleman medal level forward.
Most likely he will fall somewhere in the middle of those extremes, my realistic prediction is 16-20 games a year between 45-60 goals with a bit of back up ruck time too.

Hawkins has been great, but is reaching the twilight of his career. That doesn't mean he is cooked in 2019, but it does probably mean he is unlikely to get any better from here, and possibly will start the slow decline that happens to every player eventually. I'd still be confident of 50+ goals in 2019 if he is fit.

You'd probably take Lynch for the future though due to age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And why was Hawkins playing as second ruck? because he couldn't cut it up forward

Because Cam Mooney and James Podsiadly were ahead of him in the key forward pecking order at that time.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
What exactly has Lynch achieved to warrant the hype that surrounds him?

This.

I have heard too many quotes about him being the best forward in the comp that it hurts my ears.

For comparison purposes, Darling was taken the same year and has had kicked more goals and averaged as many goals and Darling isn't even in the conversation of being the best.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
And Lynch didn't have injuries?
I am aware of Lynch’s injuries

As far I can recall Lynch wasn’t on the verge of retiring from his injuries and had to change the way he walks, run and kick the football to avoid further injuries

Hawkins has also been hampered by back injuries for the last few years

But please continue to melt, I am just baffled as to what this thread is trying to prove?

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
This.

I have heard too many quotes about him being the best forward in the comp that it hurts my ears.

For comparison purposes, Darling was taken the same year and has had kicked more goals and averaged as many goals and Darling isn't even in the conversation of being the best

I agree Hawkins is hardly anywhere near the best forward in the game, so again I am unsure of what the comparison and Hawkins pot shots are trying to achieve here?

Lynch has hardly set the AFL world on fire and if you were going to do a like for like comparison wouldn’t you do a comparison with a more mobile forward ala Franklin than Hawkins who spends a lot of time up the ground?

This thread seems to be all about reverse psychology - ask posters to compare an apple with an orange, or a forward nearing the end of his career with one supposedly in his prime, just to flatter the one nearing his prime. I am amazed this thread is on its third page. I said it earlier and Coaster2012 touched on this a few posts earlier. Lynch should be compared to someone of his vintage, e.g. Jack Darling

Wouldn't it be better to compare a Jeromy Cameron with Lynch? Tom Hawkins (who was arguably Geelong's most important player in 2018) turns 31 in 2019 while Lynch will be 27

Holy moly, I had no idea Lynch was 27. He's not that good for 27. Am I alone on that?

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Holy moly, I had no idea Lynch was 27. He's not that good for 27. Am I alone on that?

A lot of average years for a supposed Elite player. He's really only had 1 good year and that was the year Kennedy and Franklin steam rolled the comp. I know the argument will be, but he had injuriesssss. Oh great, so he's injury prone too. Another big tick for him.

A lot of average years for a supposed Elite player. He's really only had 1 good year and that was the year Kennedy and Franklin steam rolled the comp.

I thought he was around 24. Not to make it a pissing contest, but there's not much he's done that Ben Brown hasn't, and I know who's taking home the much bigger paycheck. Hell, Jack Riewoldt, a player from his own team, had done a shitload more by Lynch's age.

Maybe I'm missing something, I'll try to keep a closer eye on him this year.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I thought he was around 24. Not to make it a pissing contest, but there's not much he's done that Ben Brown hasn't, and I know who's taking home the much bigger paycheck. Hell, Jack Riewoldt, a player from his own team, had done a shitload more by Lynch's age.

Maybe I'm missing something, I'll try to keep a closer eye on him this year.

The argument can be made that Brown & Daniher would both be better accusations than Lynch. They don't have the same hype, but actually kick goals, which is ahh...kinda what forwards are paid to do.

Back