Tom Hawkins Vs Tom Lynch (Richmond)

Who would you rather have

• Tom Hawkins

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At the same point in their career Lynch is ahead, Hawkins was a spud for most of his early years playing for Geelong even when they were the best side in the league, while Lynch played for completely terrible sides

Hawkins was the back-up / 2nd ruckman for most of the first 5 years of his career. He was never settled as a stay at home forward until his 6th season.

imo, he's just had his best season by some margin.

Champion Data also said Zac Smith was the 10th best ruckman in the league, and he wasn't seen at AFL level after Round 9 last year, even after Rhys Stanley was injured.

LOL ... Champion Data ... and stats in general ;)
Can be used whichever way to suit any argument and make any player appear better than Player X.
When it comes down to it, the naked eye is the best judge of footy talent.

forget champion data, just go over the tv footages of hawkin and lynch in their role and their impact, in 2019, hawkins by a country mile. Where before 2019, he was a fair good power forward who was starting to fade as the speed of the game has gone past him. This year, his forward ruck combo is making him a very strong presence in the forward line and is an elite player, AA full forward. Lynch is all bluster and no substance, of course he didn't have a lot of support with Riewolt injured but he has done very little to justify his salary of 1 mil per year. Tarrant shut him down to 1 goal and even that was from a 50m penalty. Benny Brown scored 5 on the same night as a comparison........... Hawkin by a mile but then again, age will catch up to hawkin very quickly, he is 30 so he would fall away very quickly due to injury and the subsequent form loss, i.e. franklin.

forget champion data, just go over the tv footages of hawkin and lynch in their role and their impact, in 2019, hawkins by a country mile. Where before 2019, he was a fair good power forward who was starting to fade as the speed of the game has gone past him. This year, his forward ruck combo is making him a very strong presence in the forward line and is an elite player, AA full forward. Lynch is all bluster and no substance, of course he didn't have a lot of support with Riewolt injured but he has done very little to justify his salary of 1 mil per year. Tarrant shut him down to 1 goal and even that was from a 50m penalty. Benny Brown scored 5 on the same night as a comparison........... Hawkin by a mile but then again, age will catch up to hawkin very quickly, he is 30 so he would fall away very quickly due to injury and the subsequent form loss, i.e. franklin.

A few fact checks.

1. Hawkins hasnt had any 'support' for years. His only 'support' has been Ratugolea in recent times.
  2. Hawkins has 535 goals. Last year he averaged 3 a game.
  3. Hawkins is about to turn 31.
  4. Lance kicked 57 goals aged 31 at an average of 3 a game in 2018.
  5. Every chance Lynch will suffer more injuries.
  6. Lynch already on a downward trajectory.
  7. If Lynch makes it to 500 AFL goals I will go starkers down Swan St at midday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few fact checks.

1. Hawkins hasnt had any 'support' for years. His only 'support' has been Ratugolea in recent times.
  7. If Lynch makes it to 500 AFL goals I will go starkers down Swan St at midday.

And i will join in a mickey mouse suit.

He's already fulfilled his purpose at the Tigers for the ultimate prize, anything from here is a bonus. I think he will be one of those players who has a short career and a short period of great dominance, enormous body and already had injury problems, I can't see it going too well into his 30s, but I can see a really fruitful period in the next few years where he could win some more awards and kick a lot of goals, I am tipping him for the Coleman in 2020.

Hawkins has been a great longstanding player and will be better than Lynch over the long journey, but I reckon Lynch's absolute best is better.

He's already fulfilled his purpose at the Tigers for the ultimate prize, anything from here is a bonus. I think he will be one of those players who has a short career and a short period of great dominance, enormous body and already had injury problems, I can't see it going too well into his 30s, but I can see a really fruitful period in the next few years where he could win some more awards and kick a lot of goals, I am tipping him for the Coleman in 2020.

Hawkins has been a great longstanding player and will be better than Lynch over the long journey, but I reckon Lynch's absolute best is better.
Hawkins at his absolute best is a gorilla. Coaches have thrown multiple defenders on him to try and curb him, and he still threw them around like rag-dolls.

Hawkins is one of Geelong's all-time greatest goal-kickers and forwards. He's in pretty illustrious company.

Gary Ablett Sr: 1031 (1021 at Geelong)
Dough Wade: 1057 (834 at Geelong)
Tom Hawkins: 554
Billy Brownless: 441

He has more goals than Warren Tedrea and Peter Daicos.

In comparison, Tom Lynch still has yet to break into Richmond's Top 10 all-time goal-kickers. Jack Riewoldt would probably make a better and much fairer comparison to Hawkins, IMO (with Riewoldt winning).

What a prescient OP, these two decided the prelim which was effectively the season decider.

Hawkins sitting out due to indiscipline, Lynch clunking marks even with two defenders hanging off him + kicking a bag.

The look on Hawkin's face when Henderson fluffed up a certain Cats goal with minutes to go, sealing the game..he will be haunted by this.

Expect Hawkins to be on a personal redemption crusade in 2020, will have a massive one.

Hawkins at his absolute best is a gorilla. Coaches have thrown multiple defenders on him to try and curb him, and he still threw them around like rag-dolls.

Hawkins is one of Geelong's all-time greatest goal-kickers and forwards. He's in pretty illustrious company.

Gary Ablett Sr: 1031 (1021 at Geelong)
Dough Wade: 1057 (834 at Geelong)
Tom Hawkins: 554
Billy Brownless: 441

He has more goals than Warren Tedrea and Peter Daicos.

In comparison, Tom Lynch still has yet to break into Richmond's Top 10 all-time goal-kickers. Jack Riewoldt would probably make a better and much fairer comparison to Hawkins, IMO (with Riewoldt winning).
I don't disagree with that, I think Hawkins will have greater longevity and be better for longer, but I think Lynch is going to come into a fruitful peak period over the next few years that will be higher than Hawkins peak.

A few fact checks.

1. Hawkings has been in the most successful team of the last 10 years, that is fair support. Lynch has been in the worst.
2. Hawkings 56 goals from 24 matches (2.3 not 3 per game). Lynch 63 from 25 (2.52 coming off a very limited preseason whilst Hawkins is in the peak of his powers).
2. Lynch is younger, 27 all season. Hawkins turns 32 mid season.
4. Franklin is nowhere near the player he was 5 or more years ago.
5. Lynch is finally fit and played all 25 games coming off some very injury interrupted years. I'd say he is more due for a good run, like most footballers.
6. How is Lynch on a downward trajectory, especially now he is playing in a top side i.e. the ball will be headed his way more often and he doesn't have to contend with 2 defenders.
7. He only needs 183 goals over possibly 5 good years. (36.6 per year). If he does that he should be dropped anyway.
8. Keep your clothes on because it is not looking a solid bet.

Back