Opinion Tom Hawkins watch 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I do judge him harshly because he is our go to guy.
The reality is he has not been in form for years.
Gives away heaps of frees, likes to wrestle and will pass it off instead of tacking a shot more often than not.
His body language is terrible and he lacks confidence.

If w had another proved CHF he would be much better

people have to recognize that his back injury from 2013 has never fully recovered. He will never be the star he looked like being because of it. Not lack of effort or mental issues. His body simply does not allow him to leap or run like he did pre injury.

He has however remained a very good player despute his setbacks who is absolutely critical to our team.

people have to recognize that his back injury from 2013 has never fully recovered. He will never be the star he looked like being because of it. Not lack of effort or mental issues. His body simply does not allow him to leap or run like he did pre injury.

He has however remained a very good player despute his setbacks who is absolutely critical to our team.

Yep. Broke out in the second half of 2011 (particularly the finals series), then was AA, B&F and a goal or two from the Coleman in 2012 and looked like becoming the player we'd all hoped he would. Then his back started playing up in 2013 and he's never reached the same level since. Still by far our best tall forward option though, and instrumental to our side.

Last edited:

I thought he was incredibly poor early against the Swans, but then came good and overall ended up not too bad.

He sure doesn't get much from the umpires.

Let’s call a spade a spade, he gets NOTHING from the umpires. My old Dad who is neutral just spend all game just shaking his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I watched him closely on the weekend, some of the kicks to him were shocking, he was pointing out to the left for the kick and they would kick it to the right of him, and grundy would block him and rampe would and co would take a easy mark, or vice versa.

If there is one Swan apart from Papley who I’d like to see fall over, its Rampe.

It is clear that he is playing under duress. But some of his leads on the weekend were phenomenal. I just want him out of the ruck, it can't be helping. I wish we could give him and Menzel all of the management they play as close to 100% as they can but we can't afford to be with out them. Probably could say the same thing about our midfield, beyond our outs we're the walking wounded.

So why does the club not complain.
We play on the field like we do off it

How do you know they don’t?

We took on the AFL just recently over Selwood which incidentally was a ridiculous report, and won.

Interestingly sunday i think it was I noticed a Rich player intentionally hit a guy on the ground, and nary a comment from anyone. Yet we are sniped continuously but I suspect if you whinge about it you are wasting energy on the wrong things.

I reckon he was BOG tonight. And I could see the form mounting these last two weeks. I seriously do not get this thread.

Here's another thing to chew on: Rat got to play a lot of normal Hawkins role tonight. Did you see how difficult it was for him? The passes that flew over his head? The ones that fell way short. The double teaming, no frees etc. Hawkins job is the toughest in the team. By a long shot.

3rd in comp for goal assists.
3rd in comp for contested marks.
3rd in comp for marks I50.
Also a respectable 20th in the comp for tackles I50.

Those are impressive numbers. Hawk's been a lot better the last two weeks. We're going to really miss him if he's suspended for the Pies game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get the commentary on Hawkins sometimes. He is a dead set star, proven in finals and across whole seasons consistently. Carrying a forward line without a genuine CHF for the last six years too. I reckon there wouldn't be many teams who would knock him back.

If there is one Swan apart from Papley who I’d like to see fall over, its Rampe.

Your wishes were granted last night I see. A beautiful minute or two of football!

Had more impact because we played a 3rd tall in Crameri so he could get 1 out more often.
There could be something in that.

Had more impact because we played a 3rd tall in Crameri so he could get 1 out more often.
I think we'll see that when Taylor comes back, Blicavs will push into the ruck more frequently, and our main ruck will rest forward, giving Tomahawk a bit more space to work in.

Hope to see T-Hawk smash the Bombers this week, and thanks to our little Hawthorn mate, Allistair and his chummy coffee partner Gill, together they have hopefully given our Tom a big helping hand by cracking down on blocking in forward 50. My only concern is with his latest MRP treatment there will be a huge crackdown in all games including ours except in our forward 50!

Hope to see T-Hawk smash the Bombers this week, and thanks to our little Hawthorn mate, Allistair and his chummy coffee partner Gill, together they have hopefully given our Tom a big helping hand by cracking down on blocking in forward 50. My only concern is with his latest MRP treatment there will be a huge crackdown in all games including ours except in our forward 50!
if they are fair dinkum Hawkins will easily be the biggest beneficiary of this crackdown.

if they are fair dinkum Hawkins will easily be the biggest beneficiary of this crackdown.

Not sure why but I feel as if we're about to be screwed over yet again. Nothing for Hawkins, plenty against our guys blocking for the third tall. Clarkson is playing 4D chess

Not sure why but I feel as if we're about to be screwed over yet again. Nothing for Hawkins, plenty against our guys blocking for the third tall. Clarkson is playing 4D chess
I did say 'if'. Of course they are anything but fair dinkum. Just look at tonight's tribunal.

I did say 'if'. Of course they are anything but fair dinkum. Just look at tonight's tribunal.

The only solution to such shenanigans would be to create a precedent before every season and get lawyers and judges from another country who know nothing of the players, clubs and sports to argue about it and make the decision. I have no confidence in anyone affiliated with the AFL.

You can bet when Clarko was having a good old bitch about Sydney to Gill, he'd have said and look at Geelongs back 6 they started it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back