Prediction Tom Hickey: 2019 Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

After sucking it big time vs. Brisbane he did much better vs. GWS. Maybe just needed a game to settle in.

I think he can be ok. Looks pretty mobile, can take a grab and kicks alright. We could have done worse.

I think we'll get more out of him than he showed at St Kilda. And right now is doing better than Vardy.

I noticed Nic Nat has flown over, so i do wonder if he is there to give Hickey some pointers.

Nic’s been something of a defacto ruck coach and given Grundy is a major factor in this game any advice he could give at the ground would be invaluable

He was ok. Not spectacular but nowhere near terrible. Moves like a freight train though. Still happy for the bloke.

He is fairly clean for someone who appears clumsy and wins some clearances himself and distributes well. He halves more contests than Vardy and positions himself around the ground more naturally as a ruckman.

Awesome clearance work but tap work and aerial work was off.

I like the two rucks though, gives them more energy individually to impact. His ball use is good by foot as well when he has it. Not a liability or a "kick it long down the line" ruckman who can't short pass.

If we bring in a bloke to a team who are the reigning premiers from a bottom four team where he wasn't permanent best 22 and he performs well, what does that say about St Kilda's plan and player management?
Jamie Cripps anyone?

See your point. Time and time again, for decade after decade, some teams just come across as amateurish. Players leave them and all say the same sort of thing. 'the level of fitness at new club xxx is so much higher', 'we train that much harder', 'as a club that much more professional', 'never had recovery sessions like we have now' and so on.

Thought Hickey >>>>> Vardy last night.

Hickey's been doing some awesome little things - Really impressive. Still learning the game plan and settling in - Expecting him to improve as the year goes on.

Might overtake Vardy to be Naitanui's partner when he gets back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jamie Cripps anyone?

See your point. Time and time again, for decade after decade, some teams just come across as amateurish. Players leave them and all say the same sort of thing. 'the level of fitness at new club xxx is so much higher', 'we train that much harder', 'as a club that much more professional', 'never had recovery sessions like we have now' and so on.
Cripps played 15 games over two seasons at the Saints, as a youngster. Hickey has 70-odd games over 7 seasons.

Jamie Cripps anyone?

Can't agree with Cripps.
He was a kid when he left and it also took him a couple years at West Coast to truly get going.

Got Yeos approval.

He’s doing far better than I thought he would.

Good stuff Hickey 👍🏽

Has done a reasonable job the last fortnight. He moves well and can win it at ground level, which I probably underestimated. He's still limited as a tap ruckman, though. One thing in our favour is that we may not come up against a top-line tap ruckman in the finals. Grundy is really the only one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back