Prediction Tom Hickey: 2019 Expectations

AFL Club
West Coast
Hickey comes to us as the guy who SHOULD be a #1 ruck. He’s athletically strong, covers the ground well and a decent tap ruckman as well. Nice kick, can go forward and take a nice mark.

So that’s a lot of good things to work with- especially here where we do develop ruckman well. Having NN as an unofficial ruck coach is just an added bonus in his development.

I’m not expecting the world. But I reckon he will clearly be the 2nd best ruckman on the list by the end of the year. Which given NN is such an unknown right now- i think he’s an astute pickup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dzussy

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Having seen Hickey at St.Kilda, I am more keen to see how young Bailey Williams goes in the ruck. The only thing is he is still a teenager, ruckmen tend to take a while to get going. But from what Ive seen of him I get the feeling he will be a standout. Very agile ruckman with quick hands. Will be worth going to our WAFL games when I get the chance just to see him develop.

AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Ive got a sneaky feeling WC may be looking at him as a KPF. My memory is vague at best of times but i thought he was around 6'7" in the old parlay?Couldnt he be the new JK? I think any KPF these days needs to be 196 minimum.Who do we have on our list that we groom for Jks possie?

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't see Hickey getting serious minutes without rucking being his primary role.
Would rather see Oallen or Brander if we need kpf cover.

Hickey will be a solid pickup for ruck cover but I just don't see the temperament in him to be a good kpf. A bit like Fmac. Too gentle.

TOA.

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Per the Champion Data prospectus, Hickey was classed as "above average" for hit outs to advantage, disposals and centre clearances.

That is taken from Longer's profile who rated average, poor and poor for the same categories.

I think Hickey can be more than serviceable and would definitely prefer him to Vardy if the role is as a primary ruck.

Dark Sharks

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd prefer if Bailey hones his forward craft rather than focusing on ruck work personally. Despite his leap, he should only ever be giving a chop out IMO.

Big Hickey on the other hand is well and truly capable of holding his own or rucking solo. Excited to see how he goes about it. Will eclipse Slyces output.

AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Ive got a sneaky feeling WC may be looking at him as a KPF. My memory is vague at best of times but i thought he was around 6'7" in the old parlay?Couldnt he be the new JK? I think any KPF these days needs to be 196 minimum.Who do we have on our list that we groom for Jks possie?
I was talking about Williams not Hickey.

Cuzz09

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Hickey will be a MUCH better ruckman than Lycett but its whether he can come anywhere near the athleticism and agression that Lycett brought to the contest.
This. Lycett was a beast. A huge man.

Small mids would think twice with him around.

Need an enforcer in the middle i reckon.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balls In

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Could be right. The injuries to JK and Darling exposed us badly last year and very nearly derailed the fairy tale. Obviously OAllen, Brander, Hickey etc is a better scenario than McInnes

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel like Hickey is too "lumbering/unco below the knees/not agile enough" to be a key forward.

I think at very best he rests down there and provides a tall target.

Stick fat with Thiccy. He will prove to be a good pickup I think. St Kilda is a a basketcase and not reflective of the talents of a lot of unfortunate souls they have snared.

Cuzz09

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Stick fat with Thiccy. He will prove to be a good pickup I think. St Kilda is a a basketcase and not reflective of the talents of a lot of unfortunate souls they have snared.
Yeah Im happy we got him dont get me wrong. Just reckon he and Vardy almost split the ruck duties 50/50 for a while to keep each other fresh.

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah Im happy we got him dont get me wrong. Just reckon he and Vardy almost split the ruck duties 50/50 for a while to keep each other fresh.

If JJK went down for weeks again this year I reckon Vardy will be the one to play serious minutes forward. He took some clutch marks in the grannie and seems one of our steadier kicks at goal. Tom seems suited to that lead ruck role too - hopefully the club can get him playing with a bit more fire in his belly.

AFL Club
West Coast
I'll always love Lycett for making Up the Coasters a thing and as a Premiership player he'll always be an Eagle, but he wasn't that great. These are his highlights:

:$

Meanwhile:

Vardy is the man :thumbsu:

AFL Club
West Coast
We probably lose a bit around the ground with Hickey as compared to SLycett but gain in ruck work. Perhaps our midfield will get better opportunity to have first use. (While I am here could anyone please explain how we never managed to get SLycett to jump 1 second later at centre square bounces? It would have improved his ruck work quite a lot.)

Top Bottom