Tom Hickey 'managed'

Remove this Banner Ad

So I see people posting how great Longer was for us.
Noticed also his 9 possessions and no marks were not mentioned.
Wonder if Tom would have been run off his feet by the opposition coach considering he can actually play around the ground?
Longer better have a huge game today.
9 possessions in a game, 1 possession and no impact either in the ruck or on the ground in half a game is not AFL standard no matter what spin is put on his performance.
And if he was 'lame' why is he playing today?
I do agree he was lame though but not in the way Richardson spun it.

I think the coaching staff may have asked hickey to improve on his ruckwork and other areas around the ground after 4 weeks? Instead of saying omitted they have used a better word managed (to improve on some other areas). But you can argue why it is not the same case with savage and dunstan.

Basically call this the ruck thread.

Interesting to see what some predicted in Gilbert have a crack, 2 hitouts probably doesn't surprise but it wasn't a major concern. Gave Bruce more time to play fwd.

Longer won the hitouts well but definitely lost it around the ground.
That's his game though.

Did Hickey play for Sandy today ?
If not , whats his injury .
Something must be going on .

Basically call this the ruck thread.

Interesting to see what some predicted in Gilbert have a crack, 2 hitouts probably doesn't surprise but it wasn't a major concern. Gave Bruce more time to play fwd.

Longer won the hitouts well but definitely lost it around the ground.
That's his game though.

I guess it's a matter of what you value you more: an ascendency in hitouts to advantage, but little contribution afterwards, or less taps & taps to advantage of our mids, but basically another midfielder after contests (Hickey). Honestly, I feel it's a matter of which one of these blokes can make their deficiencies less obvious.

If Hick can control a few more of his taps rather than just trying to nullify the opposition rucks use of tap work then he becomes a weapon to our pressure-at-all-costs/manic game style and winning a few taps to our mids advantage.

If Longer can learn to run to the right spots a bit more and apply some greater pressure after contests he's in with a great chance as his tapwork is pretty good, he's not Sandilands but he won't get ragdolled by monster rucks like Hick has been known to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon he's a chance

Hard to change a winning team when Longer won hitouts well

I like billy and think he has plenty to offer.

He had nothing to do with us winning today.
Winning hitouts against Ben McEvoy, as we know all too well, isn't exactly much to write home about.

His time on ground isn't enough unfortunately at this stage... nor is his run and spread to provide a target down the wings.

Which is a shame, he'd be the best ruck in the comp if it were 11 minute quarters and ruckmen weren't allowed to leave the centre square.

If Hickey played the game that Longer did today against McEvoy, people would've called for his head.

Longer has played against Zac Smith and Big Boy and it's arguable if he's even broken even.

Poor Tom might now get picked next week against Mumford after missing these two 'easy' rucking games :(

Looking like an absolute nightmare against the Giants.

Second rucks, Lobb vs Gilbert.
We may not aswell jump.

Not that we should change that greatly through fear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back