Traded Tom Hickey

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of these injuries we have put them into cotton wool so that we get a full pre-season into them, just not used to this situation because normally at this stage of the year we have been gunning for finals and players have played with nicks

Concerned about Hickey. Has absolute gun potential if he can get himself right. Was ripping it up at the start of the year.

I'm a bit worried that we've been too eager to rush players back from injury. Seeing as this is a rebuilding phase, what's the rush? We should be waiting until players are absolutely 100% before they play.

Tendonitis isnt uncommon, Buddy has it for example, and I guess they thought it was manageable but Hickey was pulling up with too much pain.

He will be right for next year.

Ripping it up?

Just like his opponents... Most overrated stk player I have known.

Guy kicked 3 against GWS (one from a 50) he became Simon Madden. Whilst his opponent had 20 possessions, a goal, 46 hit outs. So whilst Hickey played his best ever game, His opponent was near BOG.

Hopefully he becomes a player, but ATM his numbers are average and he is as skinny as a rake. With a frame more like Josh Fraser than Darren Jolly.

I see no feature of his game that says he's going to become a gun
Not aggressive
Not strong
Not agile
Not fast
Loses most ruck contests
Not skilful
Takes few contested marks

He may well improve, in fact he needs to.... Because whilst Longer looks a plodder... He is big, aggressive and competes physically in the contest... Reminds me of Grundy, Maric, Jolley, Lobbe.... Whereas Hickey lacks physicality.

Hope he proves me wrong but?....

Big Mart You misrepresented Hickey's trade pick to push your point when it, and you know it, to be wrong. You question why we got him when we already had McEvoy when you know full well that teams do NOT go around with only one dedicated ruckmen on their list. Stanley is a rucking forward and does not count.

You ignore the fact that he is a 22yo ruckman who has shown in several games to be very good around ground against teams who are better then us at the moment. You ignore that ruckmen dont come into their own until 25yo+ and instead cry foul of his current position. Had to laugh at your comment about no contested marking as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
it wasn't that long ago we changed Moorabbin from soft (wintergrass) to hard (couch) because of an injury epidemic.

and because it better replicated the Docklands
519_620x290.jpg

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost all the stats point to those points.

What point did I push about Hickeys trade?

Did we not down grade pick 13 to pick 24 for Tom Hickey?

Did we not have Ben McEvoy (pick 9) at the time of his trading?

Tom has played 30 games for 34 contested marks .... Not exactly Stewie Loewe really? Around 1 per game
13 hit outs, 10 possessions, 4 kicks, 0.3 goals... Not impressive numbers
And has been clearly beaten by his opponent head to head in the majority of his games.

I think what we hope Tom to be, and what he is.... Are not quite the same.

He's developing, but I haven't seen AFL standard ruckman potential as yet.

He is a small Ruckmen... To be that you need elite mobility or skill.... He lumbers and has average skills.....He is 18 months more advanced than Longer.... And in pure rucking terms is less effective.

Longer IMO has competed, but also been disappointing... But is very raw and will/must improve. At least he is physical

Tom has played 30 games for 34 contested marks .... Not exactly Stewie Loewe really? Around 1 per game
And has been clearly beaten by his opponent head to head in the majority of his games.

He is a small Ruckmen... To be that you need elite mobility or skill.... He lumbers and has average skills.....He is 18 months more advanced than Longer.... And in pure rucking terms is less effective.

Longer IMO has competed, but also been disappointing... But is very raw and will/must improve. At least he is physical
Its just spewing out here.

Hickey is 201 cm, that's taller than McEvoy and Mumford. Most of the rucks are within a couple of cm of him.
IN 2014 he gets a similar number of contested marks to Riewoldt. He gets more contested disposals than Jones, Ross or Weller.
He averages 24 hitouts. He averages a couple of clearances per game. ( more than Jones ).
He has 80% disposal efficiency. He is showing improvement, having personal highs for disposals per game and hitouts per game and goals per game this year ( despite being a horror year for injury )
He's 23.

Harsh criticism there Big Mart
IMO Hickey has shown a fair bit for someone who has played so few games.
Rather have him than McEvoy for starters and is ahead of Longer for sure.
Maybe when he's played 50 or 60 we'll see what he's really got.
Happy with both of them with what they have shown so far.

Last edited:
Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Hickey:

His best game was against GWS. 19 disp 8 marks, 20 hitouts and 3 goals.

Averaged 24 hitouts per game but only won a hitout 35% of the time he was involved in a contest - rated poor.

The Saints won a clearance 21% more often when he was absent - the 4th worst % of the top 150 players for centre bounces attended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back