Traded Tom Hickey

Sippa

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
What I think hurts Tom is longer has little ability to play forward so hickeys game is nearly getting sacrificed to try and find a way to fit them both.. I actually prefer Tom because I think he has more to his game

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very happy to see the big fella get signed up as he really is our best bet as No.1 ruck, as I still see Longer as VFL/ country football standard at best, and if more work goes into Holmes, then he may well get a gig over Billy.

TassieSaint

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tassie Tigers
I was one who floated hickey as trade bait, happy to be in the wrong, sounds like he's certainly coming along as a tall forward / second ruck.

I trust the club 100% so all good whatever they do.
I think as a proven AFL level ruckmen, relatively young, doing well in the twos, his value will be relatively constant (barring injury or dramatic form drop off) for the next few years. By 2017 we should have a clear picture of who is our number one ruckman and how Hickey, Longer, Holmes etc. can fit together if at all and then reassess potential trades then.

Geebarism

Senior List
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
This seems a little strange to me - Richo being asked in the North post match presser if Hickey will be at the club in 2016, gets a little lost for words, then BANG! Monday it's announced that we've re-signed him....according to the Herald Sun 'around a month ago'. All seems a little weird.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
This seems a little strange to me - Richo being asked in the North post match presser if Hickey will be at the club in 2016, gets a little lost for words, then BANG! Monday it's announced that we've re-signed him....according to the Herald Sun 'around a month ago'. All seems a little weird.
Not really. This kind of stuff doesnt happen overnight. Makes sense the pause he had as he was probably wondering "what do I say that wont give away the re-signing"

So you're saying you think we'd be influenced by a random journo at a press conference?

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very happy to see the big fella get signed up as he really is our best bet as No.1 ruck, as I still see Longer as VFL/ country football standard at best, and if more work goes into Holmes, then he may well get a gig over Billy.
Longer has not long turned 22, we are still 5 years off seeing his best. He will be one of the best ruckmen in the comp.

How many 22 year olds are holding down the number 1 ruck position in the comp?

Good to see how the club is challenging players to improve, and they are. Which then makes us want to sign them on. I think Hickey played is best game for a long time on the weekend and am glad to see him signed up (though not based on just that one game alone, which he wouldn't have been).

Longer was challenged in the pre season, stepped up (though doesn't appear to be having as big an impact to me as he was at the start of the season).
Hickey challenged throughout this season, has stepped up.
Holmes challenged throughout this season, by reports looks to be well on the way to stepping up.

I think it was more in regards to being able to keep all three that Hickey (and indeed, Longer) was ever mentioned as trade material, citing that all three wouldn't be on the list in two years. Good problem to have though as they are all stepping up when challenged, and now Holmes "some chance" to debut this weekend. Not sure they'd all fit into the same side however.

Geebarism

Senior List
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you're saying you think we'd be influenced by a random journo at a press conference?

I honestly don't know....just seems strange, why would we announce it a day after Richo got questioned, when according to the Herald Sun article he re-signed in July? Maybe, if it was indeed done in July, the club were holding out on announcing it but their hand was forced to douse the flames.....I'm confused by the timeline.....can't add much more than that.

My name is Tom Hickey, wid Murph I got tricky, tackled him hard made him need to take a sickie,
My main man is Perce, he don't get terse, I carry him around like he's my man purse.

(I MAY have spent too much time over the last couple of days reading #popebars on twitter...)

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/coast-is-a-winner-to-saints/2863554/

Sunshine Coast pre-season is a winner for St Kilda Saints
9-3072906-scn041215saints003_fct912x684_t620.jpg

AFL: St Kilda forward Tom Hickey believes his side's sweltering Sunshine Coast pre-season has the Saints primed for 2016 and beyond...
9-3072905-scn041215saints002e_t460.jpg

St Kilda finished 14th last season but has recruited strongly and did well in the draft.

Hickey reckons the 2010 grand finalists are building towards becoming a premiership force.

"It (a premiership) would be a massive jump this year and we are all about the journey we are on," he said.

"We have a really good group of young players who we believe that in the next two or three years can start pushing for flags.

"It is all about setting the foundations and building towards that ultimate success."

The Saints aren't the only southern footy team eyeing the Coast.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ovUD2oo.jpg

Hickey bottom right wearing the colours. Last time St Kilda made a grand final was in 2010, the same year Hickey played in the QAFL senior grand final for Morningside. Hickey matched up on none other than Peter "Spida" Everitt from Labrador that day. Labrador led by 20 points at the 10 minute mark in the final quarter and appeared to have the game won but it was a determined Morningside outfit that booted 8 goals in the final quarter to snatch the premiership. The rest is history:

So, what a game by the Big Hick.

20 disposals, 13 contested possessions, 56 hit outs (!), 6 clearances himself, 3 tackles, 5 1%ers (!), and 120 Fantasy points in 88% time on ground.

Our own board's response in the Review thread:

Hickey: 20 touches, 2 marks, 3 tackles and 56 hitouts.

Huge.
(That's the OP!)

Positives ;
Hickey. Just fantastic. Taps to ad and work around the ground tops.

I knew Hickey could do this sort of performance, just I don't think he had the confidence to do that considering he was playing 2nd fiddle to Longer.

The players we wanted to take a step forward this year delivered, namely big Hickey and Ross. Huge game by both with Weller, Lonie and Acres (in patches) progressing very nicely.

We have 2 very good young ruckman on our list. Hickey is a ruckman and not a forward, it is so clear when Hickey is given the number one ruck role. Do we go with Hickey or Longer? It's going to be a big debate for the year as its really not fair to force Hickey into becoming a forward when he could be Goldtsein esque with more games under his belt.

Hickey was best for mine today

I feel very proud for hickey. Been backing him in for years.
That was absolute domination.
Hickey was awesome but he tired in the last quarter being the lone ruckman and that's where we lost it.

We should bring Longer in to do the bulk of the ruckwork with Hickey playing the swingman ruck role between half forward and half back.

That was one of the keys to our success in 97 with Lazar Vidovic and Spida Everitt, we would have won a flag if they didn't get injured.

Hickey just took a huge step. With Billy to come back, jeez that means we might just have the best young ruck duo in the comp.

Hickey with his best game for the club, now he needs to keep it up. This should light a fire under Longer's ass, there's gonna be a big fight for the No.1 ruck spot between those two going forward. In house competition is a very good thing :thumbsu:

Lol that people wanted Hickey traded.

Im worried we have 2 #1 ruckmen who can't work in the same team together.. Interesting dual to come.
To be honest I was getting really frustrated with Hickey last year, but from what he produced today (and his previous best) - would be hard to not go with him as #1.

Hickey was at Goldstein level today
Hickey was amazing

Hickey- tap work fantastic.

Hickey was really something

Hickey was excellent, good on him.

Hickey was amazing.. Glad he had an opportunity to show what he can do as no 1

Hickey was so dominant - its been a while since we've had such a ruck! BOG for mine...

Hickey was a beast today. Wonderful game..but now the challenge is to back it up for a few weeks. Have seen the isolated game like this before. Dont want him to be another Stanley and never string 2 or more good games together

Hickey Immense everywhere, impressive. He's going to go to another level this year.

Not sure its been mentioned but the elephant in the room. What happens to Longer if he is fit?Hickey and Steven clearly best.

I have said for ages Hickey is the clubs best ruckman.
Longer can develop in the twos while Tom plays like that

Hickey played the four best individual quarters of his career (with a fair gap to his fifth best) today, absolutely amazing.

I have been a big doubter of Hickey and have had Longer well ahead the entire time we've had Billy at the club. But the way the Hickey played today was a level higher than I thought either of them would ever be capable of. If Hickey plays like that it doesn't matter what Billy does because we'll have an All-Australian ruckman.

Having said all this, i would need to see him put together a few good games to convince me this wasn't a once off against a week opponent. Would still love it if we would find away to get both of them up and flying in the same side.

Ruck combo of hickey and longer will be dardy

I think the Hickey/Longer situation isnt that hard to solve. It will come down to form. If they are both playing well play them both.
If not - dont.

He beat Mumford to be the difference against GWS a couple of years ago. Was nearly bog in that one too.

But bugger me if hickey learns how to play forward we'll have max gawn AND todd goldstein in the same side.

Some people forget how good Hickey was looking until he got injured a couple of seasons back. He hasn't looked at that level since, until today. Let's hope he's back. If so he's clearly a better choice than Longer although Hickey can be outbodied by the bigger, stronger rucks. Maybe that's when Billy or Holmes get their chance.

Hickey - performances like that make him a better option than Longer - so many marks and possessions. I'm a fan of Longer, but that was as good a ruck performance by a Saint as I can recall.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-27/fast-finishing-power-stop-saints-on-easter-sunday

After being handed the No. 1 ruck role, Tom Hickey emphatically grasped the opportunity with both hands, producing the best performance of his 42 game career to make his intentions clear in 2016.

The former Gold Coast Sun was clinical with his ruckwork, sending many of his 56 hit outs down the throats of the Saints midfield, to lead his side to a comprehensive win in the clearance count (66-40), as well as being clean with his 20 disposals.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-28/tom-hickey-aims-to-stay-no1-at-saints-after-careerbest-game

Review of Lobbe by Chris McDermott in the Adelaide Advertiser says:
Lobbe: Had his colours well and truly lowered by Hickey in the centre square. Battled hard and never dropped his head but struggled to jump off the ground and found the Saints ruckman too tall. 5/10

From the Age:
The performance in ruck by Tom Hickey was amazing – 57 hit-outs and 20 disposals, an effort almost matched by Port's Sam Gray, who had 37 disposals.

From the Roar:
Their feats helped Port overwhelm a Saints side inspired by Tom Hickey, who ruled the rucks with 56 hitouts and 20 disposals in an eye-catching performance.

Hickey fed a hungry St Kilda midfield led by Jack Steven (36 possessions), David Armitage (28 touches) and 250-gamer Leigh Montagna (29 disposals).

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Been a big fan of his since he came to the saints. Really mobile, clever player who can influence more than just ruck taps. Glad to see him put in the performance that many on here have been saying he is capable of.

Back