Traded Tom Hickey

Remove this Banner Ad

“I was carrying the injury for two or three years and it really hindered my ability to do leg weights, jump and run out games,” Hickey told SAINTS.com.au.

“For a lot of the time my main setback was jumping and changing direction, so I have been doing plenty of straight line running lately.”

What matters now for Hickey is balancing the need to bulk up, against the understandable requirement to run out games as the team’s primary ruckman.

“I’ve been put through a good mini pre-season for the last month where they’ve really tried to get volume of running into me.”

“I ended up putting on about six kilograms in the off-season and got up to 101kgs. Obviously when I started running I began to lose a bit of that. I am sitting at the 99kg or 100kg mark at the moment, which is heavier than the weight I played at last year.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-09/the-weight-is-almost-over

Good to see the big Hick fit, back in full training and available for selection this week!

19 disposals (12 contested), 4 marks (3 contested), 2 tackles, 6 score involvements (2 direct score assists), 6 hitouts, 3 inside 50s and 1 behind in his return to the senior side on Sunday against Essendon.

Solid performance in his first game for the year playing a forward role. Great to see and couldn't have done much more to retain his spot in the side.

Contested grabs and work around the ground were great and he had a good game overall, but he gave us nothing as a forward. Interesting to see what will happen when Roo comes back.

Second match for the year:

12 disposals, 6 marks (2 contested), 2 tackles, 5 hitouts (3 to adv), 2 inside 50s, 10 score involvements, and a team-high 5 1%ers.

The big Hick is in some very good form and performing well playing a more forward role.

That tackle against Bob Murphy is brilliant.

so whats the go with Tom, has he been carrying an injury+-, big change from killing it last year to unable to get a run this year. Is he still viable going fwd, in so much as Longer seems to have superseded him plus we still have Holmes doing well in the VFL?

chance for a trade out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love these bits:

"Hickey knew he would have to change something to earn a position back in the Saints' side. "I had a sit down with the coach and said 'how can I get into the team.' He said 'well, we need you as a forward," Hickey said on Monday.

"I was a realist, I knew I wasn't just going to get a game if I was playing well in the twos and Billy was playing well in the ones."

"I think ideally we both still need to work on our forward craft. If we can both sort of become both ruckmen both forwards ... we can play 50-50, and can be like [Ben] McEvoy and [David] Hale, or [Jonathon] Ceglar and [David] Hale."

so whats the go with Tom, has he been carrying an injury+-, big change from killing it last year to unable to get a run this year. Is he still viable going fwd, in so much as Longer seems to have superseded him plus we still have Holmes doing well in the VFL?

chance for a trade out?
I'd think not. ;)

“I never considered anything other than staying on at St Kilda. It is a good young group and there some exciting things happening at the club.

“St Kilda is my football home and I am keen to forge a long and successful career with the club.”

Love him calling us home

I really rate Tom but I'm still not convinced that he and Longer can play in the same team long-term. Abolishing the sub rule will help; I suppose the long-term play is McCartin FF, Bruce CHF, Membrey HFF and Hickey FP/ruck. Seems too slow and immobile to me to be honest. It's quite close to the Gehrig/Riewoldt/Hamill/Koschitzke model but I don't think that would work in modern footy.

Wonder if his deal was done before Saturday and what we saw was him playing with the wright off his shoulders? Hope so!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back