Traded Tom Hickey

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Player Advocate 2016: Persevering Saint
Player Advocate 2017: chris_h_11

Welcome to the Mighty St Kilda Football Club!

HICKEY%20Tom.png

Emma Quayle@emmasq
Gold Coast ruckman Tom Hickey is on his way to St Kilda. For pick 13 and a swap of second and third round picks.

In his own words
What type of player are you?
I'm a hard worker, unselfish, a team player, and a tap ruckman.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Matt Leuenberger - strong in rucks, can push back and take a mark and competitive on the ground.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Rucking, work rate, enthusiasm, tackling, coachability.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Reading the play and kicking on my non-preferred side.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
The Brisbane Lions. I live in Brisbane, trained on the same field, and got to recognise the players.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?

My dad - he is always pushing me to strive for my best, keeps me level-headed and always keen to help me do extra training. He's just an all-round good bloke.

Hickey started playing football late after being a Queensland junior volleyball representative.
Hickey is a project ruckman who spent most of the season in the reserves before suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for eight weeks.
He made a promising debut in round 22 against Adelaide, collecting 14 touches and kicking a goal.
The son of a former top-level Brisbane rugby league player, Hickey joined the GC SUNS as a Queensland Zone priority selection at the end of the 2010 VFL season.
Despite his relatively late arrival to the sport, Hickey was a standout at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine at the AIS in Canberra. He was the best-performed ruckman in the agility test and equal second best among ruckmen in the beep test. He also ranked second overall in the new 'clean hands' test.

Hickey started playing football late after being a Queensland junior volleyball representative.
Hickey is a project ruckman who spent most of the season in the reserves before suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for eight weeks.
He made a promising debut in round 22 against Adelaide, collecting 14 touches and kicking a goal.
The son of a former top-level Brisbane rugby league player, Hickey joined the GC SUNS as a Queensland Zone priority selection at the end of the 2010 VFL season.
Despite his relatively late arrival to the sport, Hickey was a standout at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine at the AIS in Canberra. He was the best-performed ruckman in the agility test and equal second best among ruckmen in the beep test. He also ranked second overall in the new 'clean hands' test.
Hickey was traded to the St Kilda Football Club during the 2012 AFL Trade Period.

Pick 13 is a Massive Price
Got anything else for us captain obvious?

Not crazy about the deal, but hopefully in a few years I will be. Lets hope he can turn into a great tap ruckmen that we so desperately need.

Pick 13 stings a bit, but we had to get this kid. We have secured 2 'first round' quality (and ready made) players over this trade period so the bottom doesn't have to fall out at all. Future looking bright. Not sure the picks leave us with much to go after a decent backman - if any are still available....

Seems a genuinely good bloke as well watching that video. Admits he's not the most talented and is still new to the game.

Had some time under Gary Ablett and Josh Fraser who would have provided some decent experience and leadership. Now he can come learn from Lenny & Roo :D

Seems a genuinely good bloke as well watching that video. Admits he's not the most talented and is still new to the game.

Had some time under Gary Ablett and Josh Fraser who would have provided some decent experience and leadership. Now he can come learn from Lenny & Roo :D

I agreed with this all until you mentioned Josh Fraser ... hopefully he didnt take note of how quickly Josh used to go back out of a contest .... !!
:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has already updated the draft order.

ROUND TWO
25. St Kilda
26. St Kilda
27. Melbourne (father-son selection committed to Jack Viney)
28. Hawthorn
29. Greater Western Sydney
30. Port Adelaide (FA compensation - Danyle Pearce)
31. Port Adelaide (FA compensation - Troy Chaplin)
32. Richmond (GC compensation - originally via Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer)
33. Brisbane Lions
34. Richmond
35. Essendon
36. Carlton
37. Gold Coast
38. North Melbourne
39. North Melbourne
40. Fremantle
41. West Coast
42. Collingwood
43. Richmond
44. Western Bulldogs
45. Sydney Swans

ROUND THREE
46. St Kilda
47. St Kilda

Massive overs for an unproven player... I hope Hickey makes the AA team and gets in B&F top 5 next year.

So let me get this straight...
The Saints got Pick 13 for a BJ and ended up with only a Hickey!?

To be honest, we are lucky that the AFL gives out compo picks for a free agent walking, it doesnt happen in other sports but I can certianly see where you are coming from.

I am in two minds about this one. Pick 13 is a huge price. But the lowering of our other picks is nice. Clearly we are seeking to rebuild on the quick by using our first round picks for "ready made" players.

Now for a big defender & the flag, next year.

Great to have him at the club, but we have been absolutely robbed here. Time will tell, but as it stands objectively that is HUGE overs.

Pick 13 to get Hickey and an 10 spot upgrade in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds pretty much equates to using say pick 18 on its own for him, which is what we hear Collingwood offered for him.

I don't see pick 18 or so as being "massive overs" for someone who has enormous potential and has shown in his short time in the game that he can really impact a game of senior AFL footy, especially if getting our hands on pick 26 means we're able to get someone like Brown, while also keeping a DP available at 25, in case someone slips from what we consider our top 15, to pick 25.

Upgrading pick 57 to 47 also brings us back into an area of the 3rd round where our pick might actually get us something/someone decent. We wouldn't have used 57 anyway, but we might actually get something/someone of use with 47 now.

We wouldn't have done this lightly. We've apparently had our eye on him for over 12 months and anyone who saw his game against Collingwood on the MCG knows how much he can impact a game of footy. He's only been playing this game of ours for 4 years, so at 21 he is still probably 4 years off reaching his best footy. We'll know by then how worthwhile this trade has been.

The newly announced ruck rules (as well as potential interchange rotations capping in coming years) are also going to help the likes of him no end (due to his big leap and exceptional endurance), which is apparently why other clubs got very interested in him in the last few days.

And even if we don't pick up Brown this year we draft 4 players in a draft that supposedly runs deep into the 40's and then take Brown next year after screwing West Coast in the deal :D. Give the youth about 3 or 4 years development and we could be playing finals football properly again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back