Traded Tom Hickey [traded with #34 & #60 to Sydney for #58, #62, 2021 R2 (Port), R3]

Who won this trade?

• West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney has interest in Hickey apparently. He doesn’t really warrant a thread on his own so thought I’d ask here.

What is Hickey worth? Sydney has pick 56 (crows 4th rounder). Is that about right if we are willing to trade him?

Is he still on a list somewhere? Wow, wish I was born tall.

Is he still on a list somewhere? Wow, wish I was born tall.
Played a few games this year for West Coast... particularly before Nic Nat gained full fitness.

Hickey isn't anything more than a backup.

Sydney has interest in Hickey apparently. He doesn’t really warrant a thread on his own so thought I’d ask here.

What is Hickey worth? Sydney has pick 56 (crows 4th rounder). Is that about right if we are willing to trade him?
As Does GWS

Why would the Eagles bother, pick 56 is nothing and we need a backup for another 12 months at least.

Eagles to chase a pick upgrade for the Swans pick 22 with Hickey plus picks. We have 30, 49 and 52. 30 + 52 is 30 points more than pick 22. 49 + 52 is 312 point less.

So Hickey + 49 + 52 for the Swans pick 22 values Hickey at approx pick 47.

That I would do.

Swans will lose pick 22 to NGA bids so as long as they get those points back they should be looking to trade 22. 22 likely to end up pick 30 odd after compo / FS and NGA picks.

Last edited:
Why would the Eagles bother, pick 56 is nothing and we need a backup for another 12 months at least.

Eagles to chase a pick upgrade for the Swans pick 22 with Hickey plus picks. We have 30, 49 and 52. 30 + 52 is 30 points more than pick 22. 49 + 52 is 312 point less.

That I would do.

Swans will lose pick 22 to NGA bids so as long as they get those points back they should be looking to trade 22. 22 likely to end up pick 30 odd after compo / FS and NGA picks.
Is Nathan Vardy still likely to be on the Weagles list as gather he has been injured? Still a handy backup if Hickey is traded.

That I would do.

I was more thinking of what the swans would do. I don’t think they would do the deal you proposed.

I was more thinking of what the swans would do. I don’t think they would do the deal you proposed.

Well considering Hickey is under contract for two more years the Eagles are in control here.

It is either make it worth it or no deal. We need a backup as well and pick 56 really doesn't help us.

Also GWS are desperate for a ruck as well. Looks like Goldie is staying at North and Nankervis is staying at the Tigers.

Rucks are over valued due to the lack of blokes that tall who can actually play.

Do you think they will trade pick 22?

Well considering Hickey is under contract for two more years the Eagles are in control here.

It is either make it worth it or no deal. We need a backup as well and pick 56 really doesn't help us.

Also GWS are desperate for a ruck as well. Looks like Goldie is staying at North and Nankervis is staying at the Tigers.

Rucks are over valued due to the lack of blokes that tall who can actually play.

Do you think they will trade pick 22?

I think he is contracted for one more year. I don’t think teams will be willing to give up too much, he isn’t that much better than someone who they could draft for free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he is contracted for one more year. I don’t think teams will be willing to give up too much, he isn’t that much better than someone who they could draft for free.

I went and had a look at the list of AFL rucks currently on lists.

It's a bloody short list. You get past the top 10 rucks in the comp and it starts thinning out very quickly. That's why rucks hold greater value than players in other positions. Supply v Demand.

As I said, I just don't see the point in letting Hickey go for a pick in the 50's. A pick upgrade deal is understandable.

Time will tell.

I went and had a look at the list of AFL rucks currently on lists.

It's a bloody short list. You get past the top 10 rucks in the comp and it starts thinning out very quickly. That's why rucks hold greater value than players in other positions. Supply v Demand.

As I said, I just don't see the point in letting Hickey go for a pick in the 50's. A pick upgrade deal is understandable.

Time will tell.

i wasn’t suggesting we should trade him for that. I was just speculating on what someone would be willing to pay if we are willing to trade him.

i wasn’t suggesting we should trade him for that. I was just speculating on what someone would be willing to pay if we are willing to trade him.

Isn't this a 'chicken and the egg' argument?

We would be willing to trade him if it was worth it.

Pick 56 isn't worth it IMO. Hickey is worth more to us as a backup ruck than what pick 56 would net us this draft.

So if a club wants him then make it worth our while. Hence the pick upgrade suggestion.

Isn't this a 'chicken and the egg' argument?

We would be willing to trade him if it was worth it.

Pick 56 isn't worth it IMO. Hickey is worth more to us as a backup ruck than what pick 56 would net us this draft.

So if a club wants him then make it worth our while. Hence the pick upgrade suggestion.

I dont know what it is. It is semantics I suppose.

But in my opinion things are worth what people are prepared to buy them for, rather than what people are willing to sell them for.

I just find it more useful to assess what clubs are willing to pay, as I think this generally gives a better indication of eventual value than considering what clubs would require to let players go.

May as well keep him if we can't get a decent pick upgrade. There are plenty of guys who'll be delisted anyway so it's not like we have to move on guys who might be handy at some point.

I'd definitely be inquiring about the Swans' second-rounder, maybe for Hickey and our 2021 second-rounder and some other stuff.

Can you take Jackson Nelson too?

I dont know what it is. It is semantics I suppose.

But in my opinion things are worth what people are prepared to buy them for, rather than what people are willing to sell them for.

I just find it more useful to assess what clubs are willing to pay, as I think this generally gives a better indication of eventual value than considering what clubs would require to let players go.
Sydney might not want to offer much but we are not obligated to trade him.

They must also be aware that they're sniffing around a contracted player so it has to be worth our while.

He isn't a bad ruckman, he is decent around the ground and seems to get a few clearances but his tap work is only adequate and he suffers in comparison to Nic Nat. I am more than happy to keep him as our backup for another year as Williams keeps developing.

Dont see value in him tbh. A backup ruck is really all he is. Sydney would be better off chasing a Ladhams or Preuss. Maybe I'm being too harsh but nothing more than a 4th or 5th.

Back