Traded Tom Hickey

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listening to MMM and they're giving big Hick a nice talk-up.
Yeah, I heard that. Brayshaw saying that Hickey gave North's rucks a touch up last year - that's a compliment!

Hickey earns coaches recognition

St Kilda ruckman Tom Hickey has received five coaches votes following his career-best performance against Port Adelaide on Sunday afternoon at Adelaide Oval... Hickey’s tapwork was so destructive he collected six more hitouts to advantage than any other ruckman in Round 1, emphasising his dominance in South Asutralia.
tumblr_static_7svxio0eb280w404w4wk4woks.gif

My man talking. Bask in his magnificence.

“Credit to the midfielders, I don’t always hit it where I should but they get on it and make me look good. I should probably buy them a beer later.”

Haha, love the Hick. Certainly making the most of his chances right now.

52af333dcb6f082f9ec1d8966813866b
I don't get that...

How does he average more contested possessions than disposals?

I don't get that...

How does he average more contested possessions than disposals?

I thought PG would mean PG but....
His highest contested possession count ever is 13, average this year is 8.
Highest possession count ever is 20, average this year is 13.
Don't know where the hitouts to advantage stat comes from.
The clearances per game looks about right.

I wonder if the dumb bastard who published that gets paid more than you or me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be jumping the gun but this season I have seen a lot of similiarities between Cox and the big Hick. His work around the contest and influence around the ground is really impressive.

I was a big Longer > Hickey man but I'll admit I was wrong, the Hick has been massive this year. Only beaten by NicNat and Jacobs, which considering the performance of the team and the calibre of those players, is not a big deal.

In particular love his combo with Steven, it's become more and more evident as the season goes on. The Carlton game was the best example but there is a least once or twice a game where Hick lays it on a platter and Jack does what he does with a break away clearance. Can't wait to see how our midfield is in 2 years when Steven, Ross, Dunstan and co have another 50 games experience with each other.

I put this stuff in another thread, but might as well put it here, too:

It's not just Hick's hitouts that have improved. Here are some other averages that have improved radically.
  • He's gone from about 10 disposals a game, to 13.
  • Tackles are up from 2.3 to 3.4. His 1%s match this exact same statistic.
  • Hitouts up from 9 last year, to 29.6, admittedly playing a dedicated ruck role this year.
  • Contested possessions up from 7.4 to 8.8!
  • He's also improved his stamina, with his TOG rising from 80.2% to 88.8%.
  • And my favourite: clearances, up from 1.2, or even 2.2 in his best previous year (2014), to a whopping 3.8 - he's currently our club's 4TH best clearance player, only behind Steven, Armitage and Ross (Dunstan is 0.4 below him at 5th!).
He is currently in the top 10 at the club for handballs, tackles, Fantasy score. He's in the top 3 for contested possessions, and top 4 for 1%ers. He's #1 at our club for hitouts (unsurprisingly), with Riewoldt 2nd, with 2.75 - nearly 27 less than Hick! He is the 6th best Saint for Supercoach.

From this thread: Toast - Tom Hickey approaching club record
Trawled through some club records tonight, came across this one.

Most Hit-Outs in a single season in St.Kilda history;

1) 2001 - Peter Everitt (569)
2) 1967 - Brian Mynott (527)
3) 2015 - Billy Longer (525)
4) 2016 - Tom Hickey (507)

We know Tommy's had a fantastic season, but if he can get another 63 hit-outs over the final 5 games (relatively simple barring injury) he'll move into 1st all-time and break a club record for hit-outs in a season.

Great to see how close Longer was last year too. Having both on the list is a blessing.

Well done Hicks :thumbsu:

EDIT - Also Tom's 56 hit-outs against Port Adelaide in Round 1 is a club record. 1 through 4 on the list of most hit-outs in a game are shared by Longer & Hickey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back