Past #43: Tom Jeffries - delisted with two years left on contract - thanks for your efforts Tom

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Tom.

We have a new B Class rookie -

North Melbourne sign former rugby player Tom Jeffries as a Category B rookie
00f56ca106e49c889bb53c523ae06dff

00f56ca106e49c889bb53c523ae06dff

NORTH Melbourne have plucked a wildcard key position player from junior rugby as it continues stocking up on young talent.

Tom Jeffries, 17, is a 202cm rower and rugby union player whose brother Sam plays for the Melbourne Rebels.

As a Category B rookie the Roos can recruit him without handing over a draft pick and hope he blossoms as a left-field selection.

He will play for the club’s Werribee VFL affiliate next year then will be elevated onto the club’s rookie list for the 2018 season.

Jeffries was offered a rowing scholarship with Princeton University in America and a super rugby contract with an unnamed club but decided to play AFL instead.

He has never played the game at any level but the Roos believe he has the attributes to make it at AFL level.

A graduate of Nudgee College in Brisbane, he said he couldn’t resist the challenge to try to excel in a new sport.’

“All my family plays rugby, so this is a new challenge and a new opportunity for me,” Jeffries said.

“As long as I put in the hard work. There are a lot of people down here who can help me with everything, so I’ll feed off them and hopefully things will go from there.”

North Melbourne head of football Cameron Joyce said the club was happy to take a risk on such an outstanding athlete.

“We expect to develop him as a ruckman under the tutelage of (ruck coach) Alex Ishchenko and he’ll join in full training upon the players’ return next week.

“While he won’t be eligible for AFL football in 2017, Tom will have a great opportunity to develop at VFL level and partake in all AFL training.”

Last edited:
Welcome Tom.

We have a new B Class rookie -

NORTH Melbourne have plucked a wildcard key position player from junior rugby as it continues stocking up on young talent.

Tom Jeffries, 17, is a 202cm rower and rugby union player whose brother Sam plays for the Melbourne Rebels.

As a Category B rookie the Roos can recruit him without handing over a draft pick and hope he blossoms as a left-field selection.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/00f56ca106e49c889bb53c523ae06dff

Can imagine him, Preuss and Maj causing tackling carnage in the middle... :)

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-11-23/north-signs-project-player

Tom Jeffries isn’t too familiar with a Sherrin football, but that hasn’t stopped North from recruiting the talented junior sportsman as a project player.

Similar to Luke McDonald’s path to the AFL, the 17-year-old will play with Werribee for a season before officially joining the Roos...

Kinda repeats what the HS article says, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Not sure how anyone could be displeased with this. He's s category B rookie. It's a throw at the stumps thst costs nada.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes, but
Also, I can't believe this guy took Boomers spot on the list :thumbsdown:

I'm laughing now but that sentiment WILL be on Facebook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back