Player Watch Tom Jok

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep I'm aware of this - we'll just have to wait and see, but I suspect any points we have would be swallowed up by Quaynor and Kelly (and maybe Atu if a bid comes for him inside the top 55) and we probably wont have much left to work with, hence everyone else would likely get a crack at Jok before we do even if we could get him.

Hence I suggested the best chance was that a bid for Atu comes later than suspected and we get a crack at Jok before we need to match that bid.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That rule needs to be looked at. Benefits all clubs.

Does it? Does every team now have their own team playing in state leagues or do a couple still have alignments?

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does it? Does every team now have their own team playing in state leagues or do a couple still have alignments?
The teams with alignments can have the same access. The rule should allow all clubs to nominate one player (if they wish to do so) each draft just like the academy rule.

Don’t think it is a good idea. Too easy for clubs to manipulate.

How? If a Player is not Drafted at 18 then Bad Luck.

They be Rules about it but Still should be something that could Link VFL players to Possible AFL List.

Be Bidding System

Tall, very athletic, quick, etc...but soon to be 22 and still raw. If we hadnt committed to broomhead and murray and had more rookie spots available, he might be worth a rookie spot...but really is a long shot who will most likely not make it

IF Murray get's Suspended and we de-list him we can add someone to our Rookie List

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tall, very athletic, quick, etc...but soon to be 22 and still raw. If we hadnt committed to broomhead and murray and had more rookie spots available, he might be worth a rookie spot...but really is a long shot who will most likely not make it
Yeah I agree. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Jok seemed to be at his best when in the ruck. He is too small to ruck in the seniors and may struggle to fully understand how to play a role in another position.

However, could be exciting to see him in a forward pocket. With his height, agility and marking, could potentially be a Knightmare to match up.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Tough in my view. Can play every position on the ground and is far more advanced than most recruits. Is elite in many categories ( endurance, leap, speed, agility) and has also already played in three senior premierships .

Represents far less of a risk than some tac cup kid at 18 who might go post pick 60.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tough in my view. Can play every position on the ground and is far more advanced than most recruits. Is elite in many categories ( endurance, leap, speed, agility) and has also already played in three senior premierships .

Represents far less of a risk than some tac cup kid at 18 who might go post pick 60.

At 193cm is too small to play ruck or ruck forward at AFL level. Only 80kg and doesn't have the consistent marking ability to play as a key or mid sized forward or back. May work as a negating defender or forward though... but won't kick lots of goals.

As a midfielder he doesn't rack up big numbers so is more of a linking and/or burst type player. Can't see him walking into the pies midfield... but maybe there will be a spot elsewhere

Has a lot of raw attributes but it similiarly took Majak Daw several years on a list to consistently put it together and just become an 'okay' player. And Tom is nearly 22 so you would want him to be AFL ready within 3 years of being on the list

For a national draft pick in the 60s I'd much rather take a solid and more proven kid like Podjaski or if you want pace then a Vandemeer...

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
At 193cm is too small to play ruck or ruck forward at AFL level. Only 80kg and doesn't have the consistent marking ability to play as a key or mid sized forward or back. May work as a negating defender or forward though... but won't kick lots of goals.

As a midfielder he doesn't rack up big numbers so is more of a linking and/or burst type player. Can't see him walking into the pies midfield... but maybe there will be a spot elsewhere

Has a lot of raw attributes but it similiarly took Majak Daw several years on a list to consistently put it together and just become an 'okay' player. And Tom is nearly 22 so you would want him to be AFL ready within 3 years of being on the list

For a national draft pick in the 60s I'd much rather take a solid and more proven kid like Podjaski or if you want pace then a Vandemeer...

Probably says more about our performance on the day but I actually thought he was just about our big man against the Bombers. Draper dominated with more than 60 hitouts but Jok was the only guy who looked like matching him (finished with 21 hitouts). Mighty effort given the size disparity.

Probably says more about our performance on the day but I actually thought he was just about our big man against the Bombers. Draper dominated with more than 60 hitouts but Jok was the only guy who looked like matching him (finished with 21 hitouts). Mighty effort given the size disparity.

I only switched on towards the end of that game and from what I saw he was killing it. Hope he gets picked up somewhere he looked like a real talent.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Rubbish he cant play ruck.. u forgot about his leap. He could play out of the goal square ala stevo... he woyld be a nightmare match up.

Why the majak comparison? Conpletely different athletic skill set and Tom has played AFL since he was 9. He is afl ready now - he did get a vfl bog playing in the ruck. He isnt raw at all.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rubbish he cant play ruck.. u forgot about his leap. He could play out of the goal square ala stevo... he woyld be a nightmare match up.

Why the majak comparison? Conpletely different athletic skill set and Tom has played AFL since he was 9. He is afl ready now - he did get a vfl bog playing in the ruck. He isnt raw at all.

You would play 193cm 80kg Jok against 200cm+ 100kg+ Grundy, Gawn, Witts, etc? A good leap won't cut it at that level.

The majak comparison because he was/is physically gifted too... but has taken 6 years to blossom.

And as for putting him one out in the square that remains to be seen in VFL level let alone AFL level...

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You would play 193cm 80kg Jok against 200cm+ 100kg+ Grundy, Gawn, Witts, etc? A good leap won't cut it at that level.

The majak comparison because he was/is physically gifted too... but has taken 6 years to blossom.

And as for putting him one out in the square that remains to be seen in VFL level let alone AFL level...

Yes to all if tve above.. shaun grigg won a fkag diung it and jok can jump lije a kangario.

Lots of pkayers physically gifted who didnt take 6 years to devekop but u choose majak as your comparison?
Why? U thibk jok will take 6 years?

Jok would play him on a break for agility and tank... he isnt anything like majak ither thab beubg sudanese.

You are cobfudebt yiur ouck 64 18 yo from the jets cab play out of the goaksquare abd in every position on the ground?
Just because he has been overlooked doesnt nean they got it right.. refer tim kelly amd kane lanbert

Yes to all if tve above.. shaun grigg won a fkag diung it and jok can jump lije a kangario.

Lots of pkayers physically gifted who didnt take 6 years to devekop but u choose majak as your comparison?
Why? U thibk jok will take 6 years?

Jok would play him on a break for agility and tank... he isnt anything like majak ither thab beubg sudanese.

You are cobfudebt yiur ouck 64 18 yo from the jets cab play out of the goaksquare abd in every position on the ground?
Just because he has been overlooked doesnt nean they got it right.. refer tim kelly amd kane lanbert
Looking forward to the English version of this post.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I certainly wouldn't be setting him as a regular ruck option at senior AFL level. I think with his unique traits he'd develop into a pretty exciting 3rd tall forward who you could throw into the centre ruck contest as an occasional change up. In a team like ours that has Grundy and Cox wouldn't generally need more than that.

As a 3rd tall forward, I'm not sure he'll ever be a high possession winner otherwise I'd suggest outside mid-wing (maybe with another couple of years in the system) but I think he brings a lot of x-factor. I think he'll get drafted and I think he'll be an exciting prospect as he develops.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Hence I suggested the best chance was that a bid for Atu comes later than suspected and we get a crack at Jok before we need to match that bid.

We can't fit in 4 new players on the senior list

- 39 senior / 5 cat A rookie players on list in 2018

- subtract 5 senior and 1 cat A rookie player = 34 / 4

- add Beams & Roughead = 36 / 4

- add Tohill as Cat A rookie = 36 + 5

If the proposed arrangements to delist and rookie Broomhead and Murray (for now) are realised then we will still only have room to add at most three new players via the national / rookie drafts - hence there is no room for both Jok and Atu assuming we match bids for Quaynor and Kelly).

The only way(s) we would be able to draft a fourth player at this point in time are if either Murray gets banned before November 23 (and doesn't appeal), or Broomhead gets picked up by another club - both of these appear to be unlikely at best.

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

If the proposed arrangements to delist and rookie Broomhead and Murray (for now) are realised then we will still only have room to add at most three new players via the national / rookie drafts - hence there is no room for both Jok and Atu assuming we match bids for Quaynor and Kelly).

The only way(s) we would be able to draft a fourth player at this point in time are if either Murray gets banned before November 23 (and doesn't appeal), or Broomhead gets picked up by another club - both of these appear to be unlikely at best.

I still don’t understand why Broomhead was rookied. I can’t see a place for him in our best 22. Would rather use that spot for another kid and see what we can develop.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Actually, as you yourself have articulated, we can. We can also renege on our commitment to either Broomy or Murray or both.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
I still don’t understand why Broomhead was rookied. I can’t see a place for him in our best 22. Would rather use that spot for another kid and see what we can develop.

Probably because he was contracted for next year anyway, so if we're going to take the TPP hit then I guess they are thinking we might as well see if he can make it back instead of desliting him with a pay out (which would be a bit of a dick move really and probably not conducive to fostering a positive culture at a club).

His injury isn't career ending by any means, it's only his age 25 year next year and he does have talent, so it's still not beyond the realms of possibility that he could push up to be fringe best-22 again in 2019 and beyond.

We have Wells, Greenwood, Wills, Crocker, Goldsack Dunn, Reid, Varcoe, Lynch, Broomhead and Murray who are all out of contract in 2019, so I could see Broomhead staying given that I can easily identify 5-6 players ahead of him from that list who are potential retirements or delistings.

Last edited:

dunno4

All Australian
Oct 17, 2003
In the Boardroom
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
Exactamundo, some of the Sudanese kids are athletic freaks, there's a kid doing the little athletic circuit ATM named Nelson Banigo, i watched him at the state champs last year (under 9), ran the 70-100-200-400, won them all, times were mindboggling, think he went mid 13s for the 100, and he was 8.

Don t forget Godfrey Okerenyang who won the grand final sprint. Plays for NSW/ACT Rams Under 16. In the Giants academy. Has run a 10.4sec 100.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don t forget Godfrey Okerenyang who won the grand final sprint. Plays for NSW/ACT Rams Under 16. In the Giants academy. Has run a 10.4sec 100.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I watched Godfrey 2 weeks ago at the Wagga Wagga open day, talk about an athletic freak, runs low 11s for the 100 (u15 iirc) and long jumps close to 8 mtrs, if he sticks at it he'll win Olympic gold one day, will have strong opposition from a Wangaratta boy this season though.

We can also renege on our commitment to either Broomy or Murray or both.
Murray is a possibility due to his situation, but i strongly doubt the club would renege on such a commitment to Broomhead once that had been arranged, and he or another club didn't offer an alternative. It would be a huge public slap to a good citizen of the club, apart from other possible consequences with managers and such.

Back