Toast Tom Jonas extends contract to end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a good tough honest player. Really pleased Port has locked him in. He would look right at home in the black and white prison bars in any era.

Quietly locking away all our best players. I expect Clurey will follow shorty. Farrell, Bonner, Garner and Patmore probably not far behind.

Boak, Ryder, Westhoff & Gray will probably be made to wait until the back half of the season.

The others out of contract need to earn their extensions.

Last time Jonas signed on there was a lot of head scratching. This time there's a lot of relief. Has come on in leaps and bounds and I reckon we had him at a decent discount these last couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who says Tom Jonas isnt hipster enough for this generation of Ports Captain is quite wrong too.

I went to a Bad Dreems concert at the Gov last year and Jonas was there with a couple of other Port players.

Tom was wearing, what I would best describe as a white, possibly tassled Benetton jacket, something that you might have seen a grid girl wear at the Monarco Grand Prix in 1985. It was honestly one of the rudest things I've ever seen and Tommy was wearing it with pride. There is a man, I thought, who is comfortable in his own skin. Captain material 100%.

Excellent news.

It would be a very interesting study to compare people's reaction to this long term contract and Tom's last one. If I remember correctly, about 3 years ago Tom's contract was extended by 3 years to almost universal condemnation (on the back of Hartlett's and Lobbe's long term deals turning sour. This time, we all great the extension with acclaim.

And rightly so. Two reasons for that- (1) the change in attitude reflects how far Tom has come in the last 3 years and (2) those in charge 3 years ago actually knew what they were doing.

Anyway, congrats to all concerned especially Tom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back