Toast Tom Jonas Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom has had an outstanding career coming off the rookie list as a mature ager, racking up 200 games and becoming captain of Port Adelaide.

He's been a tough, strong, no-nonsense defender, often asked to play on opponents in mismatches.

It has been a worthy career and he should be proud of what he has achieved. Good on you Tom, go well in your future. I could see a future in football administration for Tom, he's a smart guy.

Met Tom at a sponsor dinner once, he was a straight shooter and very entertaining. Pity AFL media training beats that out of you. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Tom. Been a long road from the rookie list to captaincy. You got the most out of your talent and your body and the signs have been there for a while that time was running out. One more shot, now you’re free to play like there’s no tomorrow. Go for it.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Always been a fan of Tom. I love the underdog stories getting the most from themselves. A bit like Houston, however he’s more naturally talented.

Congrats on being skipper and potentially the next Port CEO in 5 years time

Lost me a little with the whole “living my best life” saga but overall to go from rookie pick to Captain is no small achievement.
Could never question his endeavour and intent on the field. Over the years he competed with some of the biggest forwards going around and held his own.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Under-sized key defender that gave his all, rarely beaten with a never say die attitude. Love him and will be missed. Enjoy your retirement, Tom.

Very few people would have had a tougher introduction to AFL than Tom Jonas.

Not only did he have to debut in a 165 point massacre, but he had to play on Luke Hodge!

That was the very first thing I noticed at the first bounce and I even mentioned it to the person next to me. All things considered that day…Luke Hodge was one of Hawthorn’s quieter players.

Very few people would have had a tougher introduction to AFL than Tom Jonas.

Not only did he have to debut in a 165 point massacre, but he had to play on Luke Hodge!

That was the very first thing I noticed at the first bounce and I even mentioned it to the person next to me. All things considered that day…Luke Hodge was one of Hawthorn’s quieter players.
A record for the biggest losing margin on debut. Well, a tied record actually. The person he shares it with: none other than John Butcher.

Definitely deserves credit for turning himself from a rookie draft pick to a club captain and was my pick for the job of the Number 1 Guernsey when he first stepped into the role, playing in a bit of a thankless role too. Also have to say he's not really sulked and moaned with his this year has gone and is stepping down somewhat selflessly, so credit there too.

I've got a bottle of his Tawny (my Port Port as I like to call it) ready to crack when Port finally secure the Premiership, fingers crossed his departure lines up with being able to open it.

Glad he recognised it is time. I would argue he went on a year too long, particularly with regards to retaining the captaincy. This is far better news than last Tuesdays news.
As a captain, yes he did. As a player, no.

There have been times he's been needed - and there was no viable alternative. Being captain meant it was a bit harder to drop him, which wasn't ideal, but he's come in late and done a job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back