Toast Tom Jonas Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Stepped up when needed to be a fantastic captain. His conduct / attitude could never be faulted. Can't be easy when you're not the most talented player going around but was clearly team first, and made things easier for others. I honestly thought he was ripe for delisting around his 3rd season, his kicking skills looked so ordinary, but he became an incredibly effective team defender. Tough, brave, never fancy, but usually there sticking a tackle, or making a great spoil when you needed him. Will be missed based on past contributions.

:cry: Stop it Tom

“These moments are a great moment to reflect,” he smiled. “I probably take it for granted a little bit… but it’s been the honour of a lifetime to be able to captain the Port Adelaide Football Club.

“I honestly still don’t feel worthy to have my name up next to the likes of Boaky (Travis Boak), Russell Ebert and Tim Ginever, and all the other people that have represented this club with the number one and had such enduring success.

“It’s been an incredible journey. I said to the boys 15 years ago I just wanted to play one game for Norwood so my son George could potentially be a father-son there.

“15 years later I’m sitting here as a Port Adelaide person for life and I couldn’t be prouder of that.

Jonas: Captaining Port Adelaide the honour of a lifetime

At his best, was uncompromising & a very tough opponent to score against. Pulled from obscurity of the Rookie List & forged out a great career. Well done Tom, enjoy the next chapter in your life.

:cry: Stop it Tom

“These moments are a great moment to reflect,” he smiled. “I probably take it for granted a little bit… but it’s been the honour of a lifetime to be able to captain the Port Adelaide Football Club.

“I honestly still don’t feel worthy to have my name up next to the likes of Boaky (Travis Boak), Russell Ebert and Tim Ginever, and all the other people that have represented this club with the number one and had such enduring success.

“It’s been an incredible journey. I said to the boys 15 years ago I just wanted to play one game for Norwood so my son George could potentially be a father-son there.

“15 years later I’m sitting here as a Port Adelaide person for life and I couldn’t be prouder of that.

Jonas: Captaining Port Adelaide the honour of a lifetime
Well done Tom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good call by Tom. He's handled a tough year very well. I dare say it was players call for him to stay captain this season. It's the perfect time to announce it. The boys, both those young guns just hitting their straps and those who may not have too many more in front of them, needed to hear what Tom said in his press conference. I'd have Robbie in there telling them too. You don't get a tonne of looks in this caper and had some great minor rounds with no silverware to show for it. Take your opportunities, it's over before you know it.

In my younger days I lived with the humiliation of being benched in the lead up to a finals campaign. It was a junior league of zero consequence but it was humiliating.

But to experience that in the full spotlight of the AFL must have been devastating. Tom took it on the chin and devoted himself totally to his team.

He's taken some absolute crap in this board in recent years but he can hold his head up high as a true champion and leader of the PAFC. No one could doubt his courage and commitment.

Deserves a game on Sunday on his form last week alone (count how many goals Freo kicked when he was off) and for the farewell he deserves from true Port supporters.

Last edited:
Big call, Chungus. Rookie to Captain is a huge career. Still a few games yet so you might still be a premiership captain.

Thought he should have stepped down last year but it is what it is and he's done well to keep himself focused and ready to step in when needed. Class.

Yea I'm not gonna back pedal and go soft just because he's retiring & said all the right things at a presser.

Bog average player, bog average captain.

Time to get serious and learn the lesson.

He's been good the last 3 weeks. All the best for the future Tom. Hopefully there is one last twist in the tale and you go out on top holding the cup aloft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back