Toast Tom Jonas Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall he's had a very good career for a player who started out on the rookie list of a terrible team and was blessed with only modest natural ability. He was a particularly excellent player from 2017-2021 and was probably unlucky not to be All Australian at least once.

Its funny how quickly we forget

The highlights package the club put up was full of hard, accountable and at times brutal attack on the ball and opposition. You can see why he was named Captain.

Father time caught up but he's legit in my view.

Congratulations TJ.

Its funny how quickly we forget

The highlights package the club put up was full of hard, accountable and at times brutal attack on the ball and opposition. You can see why he was named Captain.

Father time caught up but he's legit in my view.

Congratulations TJ.

some very good stuff there and yeah we forget quickly when the last couple of years have been average.

also draino russell constantly ruins everything and he's been garbage for a decade and somehow still has a job. he's worse than hinkley.

A very good individual career given the talent he entered the league with. I remember him starting as basically a pure stopper who would look to give the safest handball possible if he found himself with the ball by accident.

He grew with the team and developed into a very good intercept marking defender, reading the play well and with very strong hands, and being the general of a very high quality defensive unit for a couple of years there in 2020 and 2021. Probably unlucky not to have an AA guernsey in 2020. Never afraid to put his body on the line and never complaining about having to play tall. I think he was particularly underrated by Port supporters during this era because he wasn't 5-10cm taller, certainly not his fault and it didn't stop him from being very effective.

He's been an absolutely brilliant professional this year as he's lost his place in the side, and he's come back in and turned back the clock a bit in the last few rounds. Should be a premiership captain, could still theoretically end up as one if we pull our fingers out.

Toms call of I'd rather captain a premiership team from the sidelines than captain a team out of the race from the field was all class.

Respect.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That comment is exactly why he's been an exceptional captain, you don't always have to be the best player but you definitely have to be the best team man/woman. He's been all class when others would have dropped their heads. When the rumour was going around that he'd spat the dummy it was complete bull he was the opposite his attitude was I'll keep working my arse off, play for the maggies and I'll be here if you need me and thank god because we really have needed him the past couple of weeks.

I hope people remember him as hard, honest, no bs and team first.

You've reached happy clapper supernova calling this bloke an exceptional captain.
If we snag a flag this year, I'll gladly put him in that category.

Leadership isn't all about skill and talent and taking ownership in the moment, it's actually about getting the most out of others.

There's been some ordinary captains that have won flags. Ben Cousins says Hi. Plenty of good captains haven't won one. Matthew Primus and Nick Riewoldt say Hi.

If we snag a flag this year, I'll gladly put him in that category.

Leadership isn't all about skill and talent and taking ownership in the moment, it's actually about getting the most out of others.

There's been some ordinary captains that have won flags. Ben Cousins says Hi. Plenty of good captains haven't won one. Matthew Primus and Nick Riewoldt say Hi.
I've said my piece.

Perhaps I'm reacting more to the back pedaling teddy bear goo from posters here than Tom tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good, honest, more than serviceable player over the journey. Gave his all. Not flashy nor blessed with phenomenal athleticism nor skills, but gave it everything he had.
Was the best choice as captain? I think so in light of Ollie's lack of professionalism at the time. But by 2021, Tom had started getting injured more, and the game had passed him by.
Think Ollie should have been given the skipper's cap in 2022 and left Jonas to concentrate on playing his best footy.
Glad he has seen the light and been honest enough to accept that it's a younger man's game now.
Good on him - his best years were what you want as a supporter from a Port player............. strong, fearless, brutal, courageous.
Let's remember him for those traits and congratulate him on being Port Adelaide footballer.

Not sure he should be a Board member, much less head of the Board. Guess that's based on his Law and Business Admin degrees? To me he seems to welded onto the Koch/Ken/Davies "mediocrity is ok. Just happy to be a part of the comp" mentra. Tredders for mine - ruffle the status quo a bit.

All the best to Tom for life after AFL,footy.
Been a really tough 2023 for Tom.Hes made the right decision.
Thought he played a reasonable game vs Freo.Will definitely be in selection contention for the finals.
Hope we can take our Captain deep into September.
Had a number of head knocks in 23.Wonder if Port will invite Tom to lace up at the Magpies in 2024..

You don’t understand what makes a captain that’s more the issue

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
A player good enough to hold his place in the side would be a fukcin' start.

I wasn't a fan when he was appointed, the captain doesn't need to be the best player however he needs to be an undroppable, this year was always coming he could've been dropped a number of times in the last few years tbh.

Just got around to watching Tom's announcement to the team and the press conference and I have to say they were both excellent. Very honest and (I hesitate to use the word around here 😉) humble. Seems to be very genuine and very well liked by his teammates. I'm not buying into the argument about whether or not he was a good captain, I’ll leave that to you lot 😁

Ben Cousins is not a premiership catain.

Ben Cousins got Leo Barry'd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back