News Tom Jonas sole captain for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Reverting back to one captain, wearing number 1 has always been one of the triggers that I thought could rejuvenate my enthusiasm for the club, in the absence of a change of coach. It didn't work. ....
Reverting back to one captain just shows that co-captains was an epic feck up with the only justification being keeping Hinkley happy. It should never have been done in the first place and reverting back to one captain doesn't undo the damage done. Even in another 148 years the damage will still have been done.

"A single captain, wearing number 1 on their back, was one of those icons for the Port Adelaide Football Club."

For me it's been a clear demonstration that the only real lever that supporters have over the club is to vote with their dollars.

If there was grumbling and discontent but membership renewals and club finances were tracking healthily, I doubt they would have reverted back.

Them saying that good clubs listen to their people is just lip service.
Exactly.

There was just as much opposition from the members to half-captains from when it was first hinted at right up until the official announcement.

It is only now that that opposition is hurting the bottom line that Koch and co have decided to ditch half-captains. They clearly didn't listen to the members twelve months ago and now the club is paying the price in lost revenue.

Reverting back to one captain, wearing number 1 has always been one of the triggers that I thought could rejuvenate my enthusiasm for the club, in the absence of a change of coach. It didn't work.

I see Koch and I get angry. I hear him talk and I feel even worse. Same said for Hinkley. Same said for Jonas. Same said for Wines.

The sugar hit wasn't enough.

Dear PAFC, Hinkley out, Koch out, then get back to me.

Watching the club release videos revealing the #1 for 2020 felt so wrong. It's almost as if those in charge truly do not understand the club they're working for. There should never have been a video where Port Adelaide celebrates the return of a single captain wearing #1 because it's not a marketing ploy, it's a tradition that was baked into the club identity until an arrogant dickhead of a coach removed it for zero gain. Port Adelaide supporters are willing to accept change so long as that change is consistent with the club's reason for being (but even that has been eroded under the current regime - we exist to win premierships and do other stuff that's easier than winning premierships). In the past, outsiders have come in and added to the Port Adelaide culture. We're living in an era where the outsiders have come in and systematically destroyed the fabric of the club one thread at a time.

Watching the club release videos revealing the #1 for 2020 felt so wrong. It's almost as if those in charge truly do not understand the club they're working for. There should never have been a video where Port Adelaide celebrates the return of a single captain wearing #1 because it's not a marketing ploy, it's a tradition that was baked into the club identity until an arrogant dickhead of a coach removed it for zero gain. Port Adelaide supporters are willing to accept change so long as that change is consistent with the club's reason for being (but even that has been eroded under the current regime - we exist to win premierships and do other stuff that's easier than winning premierships). In the past, outsiders have come in and added to the Port Adelaide culture. We're living in an era where the outsiders have come in and systematically destroyed the fabric of the club one thread at a time.
I would've accepted a simple "Yeah, we f*cked up so are reverting back" message much better than the feel good bullshit and spin they've rolled out as an accompaniment.

The whole "this is a great unique club tradition" spiel sticks in the craw.

It's less of a tradition now than it was last year when they saw fit to throw it out.

"What if tradition is detrimental to success?" Remember those words? Jonas, KT, Koch, Hinkley had each preached it.

The current custodians don't comprehend Port Adelaide. If they did then we would not have this monumental farce of a situation. The club needs new custodians and I hope that there are still people out there that are suited to these positions and comprehend Port Adelaide.

What if the current custodians are detrimental to success?

I would've accepted a simple "Yeah, we f*cked up so are reverting back" message much better than the feel good bullshit and spin they've rolled out as an accompaniment.

It's less of a tradition now than it was last year when they saw fit to throw it out.
You're right, obviously they were trying to save face, though I don't think straying for one year lessens the tradition.

No expectations on 2020 season according to Tommy on radio this morning. How hard is it to say to push for a premiership? Hell even make the finals. Just doesn't want the pressure to meet any expectation that's set.
If we make finals in 2020 Hinkley triggers 2021 on his contract yet there are no expectations for 2020 among the playing group.

Just going to go out there and try harderey but someone has to lose.

So in summary, you don't support the club what ever they do?

If we make finals in 2020 Hinkley triggers 2021 on his contract yet there are no expectations for 2020 among the playing group.

Just going to go out there and try harderey but someone has to lose.
How about demanding all the senior experienced players have outstanding years so the ups 'n downs of youth bullshit card doesn't get played ad nauseam.. I'd respect a statement like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"What if tradition is detrimental to success?" Remember those words? Jonas, KT, Koch, Hinkley had each preached it.

The current custodians don't comprehend Port Adelaide. If they did then we would not have this monumental farce of a situation. The club needs new custodians and I hope that there are still people out there that are suited to these positions and comprehend Port Adelaide.

What if the current custodians are detrimental to success?
Spot on. These guys need to fall on their sword already. They shouldn't be able to keep soiling our clubs traditions and insult us and then attempt to undo everything and think it's ok and be able to stay.

No expectations on 2020 season according to Tommy on radio this morning. How hard is it to say to push for a premiership? Hell even make the finals. Just doesn't want the pressure to meet any expectation that's set.
Out of a pretty good 15 minute interview, in my opinion, in true BF style people find something to trigger them.
I thought he answered well. Can’t we just give the fellas go at it

I think once the season starts that most supporters will give Jonas a clean slate and see what he can do as a genuine #1. If he performs and leads well on the field, and doesn't make any bone headed statements off it, I don't think he'll come in for too much criticism.

“It (the trade rumours) doesn’t need to be addressed. Ollie had nothing to do with that personally. He’s 100% committed to the club, he’s got years to play on his contract.

“(If) you rock up to the club and see the way he goes about it and the way he talks about the club, you know he’s fully committed to Port Adelaide so it’s not a worry for us.”

So it was just his manager ringing around to see what was out there and try to drive up his price ala Howard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back