News Tom Jonas sole captain for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

“It (the trade rumours) doesn’t need to be addressed. Ollie had nothing to do with that personally. He’s 100% committed to the club, he’s got years to play on his contract.

“(If) you rock up to the club and see the way he goes about it and the way he talks about the club, you know he’s fully committed to Port Adelaide so it’s not a worry for us.”

So it was just his manager ringing around to see what was out there and try to drive up his price ala Howard.
If his manager has done that without letting Ollie know he should be sacked. It’s his first year of a new contract not the last. He isn’t a free agent for another three years.

If Tom really has worked hard on his captaincy style and built his connection with the younger players during the year, then I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it's not about being flashy, it's about being consistent as a player. That's what I want from him - dependability.

If his manager has done that without letting Ollie know he should be sacked. It’s his first year of a new contract not the last. He isn’t a free agent for another three years.
If he sacked every manager that did the ring around to ask about what clubs would offer their charges, regardless of contract status then he wouldn't have a manager.

Not knowing is the very reason for having a manager. The manager does his stuff, then you decide what you will do.

Why? Managers will always ring around other clubs to get a feel of the buying temperature for the players in their stable. They are getting 10% of the player's contract price. Trade period is when they put the feelers out for who is interested and how much they are interested for - it was the same thing with Fantasia this year.

“It (the trade rumours) doesn’t need to be addressed. Ollie had nothing to do with that personally. He’s 100% committed to the club, he’s got years to play on his contract.

“(If) you rock up to the club and see the way he goes about it and the way he talks about the club, you know he’s fully committed to Port Adelaide so it’s not a worry for us.”

So it was just his manager ringing around to see what was out there and try to drive up his price ala Howard.

If what you say is true then he’d sack his manager within hesitation for all the pain caused.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I call bullsh!t. Why would his manager be calling around with 3 years to run. After a poor season to boot while being our highest paid player.

NEWLY appointed Port Adelaide captain Tom Jonas says criticism in the media is part of playing AFL football and he understands that is heightened when you are in a leadership role.

Jonas was appointed club captain in his own right last Friday after spending 2019 as co-captain with Ollie Wines.

The 28-year-old says there will always be some criticism, but he and the club know the strong defender is the right man to take on the captaincy.

“I’ve received that criticism throughout my whole career,” Jonas told Kane Cornes and Andrew Hayes on SEN SA’s Breakfast program on Monday morning.

“I haven’t been perfect the whole time. I don’t always play a good game. The criticism is part of the role - I accept that.

“In terms of leadership, I think I’m the right man for the job. Obviously, being down back is a little bit different, but there have been some quality AFL captains play that position in the past.

Yeah I call bullsh!t. Why would his manager be calling around with 3 years to run. After a poor season to boot while being our highest paid player.
My point exactly, it’s not like he’s a free agent end of 2020 so there isn’t a need to establish his worth. 12 months into a 4 year deal which made him our highest paid player.

Why? Managers will always ring around other clubs to get a feel of the buying temperature for the players in their stable. They are getting 10% of the player's contract price. Trade period is when they put the feelers out for who is interested and how much they are interested for - it was the same thing with Fantasia this year.
Yes, but only if that player has a genuine interest in moving. Do you think Dusty or Fyfes managers were shopping them around to determine their worth ? Or Whitfield manager shopping him around next years trade period ?

Either we are being told lies, or Wines manager is shopping him around without permission and given he was made captain this year and ruined his year under the circumstances he did which reflects very poorly on him. That’s why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but only if that player has a genuine interest in moving. Do you think Dusty or Fyfes managers were shopping them around to determine their worth ? Or Whitfield manager shopping him around next years trade period ?

Either we are being told lies, or Wines manager is shopping him around without permission and given he was made captain this year and ruined his year under the circumstances he did which reflects very poorly on him. That’s why.

Dusty, Fyfe and Whitfield have all had the option of free agency. They've had the opportunity to take a look at what the market is offering and decided to stay with their club. Wines hasn't had that opportunity yet. It's important that his manager gets a rough guide as to his perceived value each year for his next contract negotiation, which will be the highest contract amount of his career.

The more information you've got, the stronger hand you have - you can say 'Well in 2019, Carlton was offering X, and in 2020, St Kilda was offering Y, so we feel that Z is what Ollie is worth in 2021.' It's how you make sure players are getting paid the correct value.

The person who should be sacked is the person who leaked the information that Wines' manager was asking the question of clubs to the media. No player manager is going to deal with him again after letting that information out in a petty attempt to destabilise another club.

Who was it again? Steven Silvagni? Oh, he already has been sacked?

Funny that.

Dusty, Fyfe and Whitfield have all had the option of free agency. They've had the opportunity to take a look at what the market is offering and decided to stay with their club. Wines hasn't had that opportunity yet. It's important that his manager gets a rough guide as to his perceived value each year for his next contract negotiation, which will be the highest contract amount of his career.

The more information you've got, the stronger hand you have - you can say 'Well in 2019, Carlton was offering X, and in 2020, St Kilda was offering Y, so we feel that Z is what Ollie is worth in 2021.' It's how you make sure players are getting paid the correct value.

The person who should be sacked is the person who leaked the information that Wines' manager was asking the question of clubs to the media. No player manager is going to deal with him again after letting that information out in a petty attempt to destabilise another club.

Funny that.
Wines was literally out of contract last year, last year he chose to resign here for 4 years. Just because he wasn't a free agent doesn't mean he couldn't go else where.

He isn't out of contract until the end of 2022, he has 3 more years before being out of contract here. He isn't negotiating for a new contract here for another 2 seasons.

Fantasia wasn't captain and the highest paid at the club.

Wow poor Kane Cornes. Having a massive sook and says his feelings have been hurt by the hate mail on his comments re Jonas and by Boak and Cassisi calling him out. Talk about pot kettle black. Happy to give it out but too soft to accept it back.
Nah Boak and Dom were both stupid enough to get sucked into that headline without reading the article.

Funny that.
After this year there isn't a club in the AFL that would be offering Ollie anywhere near what Port signed him up for last year.
Either his manager is an exceptional optimist or Ollie wanted to look for a way out and wanted to know how much of a pay cut he would have to take to get to Carlton and Carlton weren't interested even looking into it.
If a manager wants to know how much his player is worth why do it one year into a new deal while in career worst form?

lol Duursma is going to love being a beacon for every witless nuffy that calls themselves a Port fan, well done champ
Ha! I've been champed and nuffied in the same sentence. I must have really hit a nerve. Apologies. But getting drunk and bagging a kid (over and over again) before he's even played an AFL game is a bit shite. Just out of interest, does our club have any players you like/rate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back