pugsville

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2001
leningrad
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
It's either forceful pressure for a better deal, and he;s played very very well,

or

He could be going to Sydney who are very good at attracting players generally.

I very very much hope he stays.

Stifler's mom

Premium Platinum
Jan 29, 2007
Glen Iris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool - Walk On!
Just to confirm- you are referring to a early second round pick in the 20s for third tall as 'scraps'...

If Blakey gets a bid in the top 8, then you may not be able to use only your lesser 2nd rounders.
Plus you obviously have no 1st rounder or 3rd rounder.

I guess Hanners will get you something useful though....

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just to confirm- you are referring to a early second round pick in the 20s for third tall as 'scraps'...
I would take a pick in the 20s for Langdon in a heartbeat.
He is a great intercept mark but he gets plenty of practise because every time he kicks it, it either comes back or goes over his head for a score.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
11 years worth of trades with 4 northern clubs which of these represent "plundering". Generally speaking controlling have given fair value. IF not which exact trade was plundering?

2007 Camron Wood (brisbane) pick 14
2008 Andrew Corrie (brisbane) pick 93
2010 Darren Jolly (Syd() picks 14, 46
2011 Peter Yagmor (GCS and pick 50 for pick 27
2013 To9ny Armstrong (syd) delisted FA
2013 Jessie Whiote (syd) for pick 44
2013 Taylor Adams (GWS) for Heath Shaw
2013 Patrick Karanitzis for Jackson Paine
2014 Picks 5 ,25 Jack Crisp for Dayne Beams,
2015 Adam Treloar for picks 7,65 and 2016 first round
2015 James Aish for pick 26 and 2016 second round (stkilda)
2016 Will Hoskin Elliot for 2017 second round
2017 Sam Murray ,pick 79m, 2018 third round for 1016 second round

You guys have been fair traders, but you've still targeted the northern clubs, hence the need for academies to retain local players

In any event its not great for you guys if Langdon does decide to leave as he's worth more to you than what you'll get in a trade.

FWIW I think he'll probably stay, unless you end up with May

pugsville

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2001
leningrad
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
You guys have been fair traders, but you've still targeted the northern clubs, hence the need for academies to retain local players

So you admit "plundering" was hyperbole.

I don't think there is much case that "northern clubs" are being targeted.Talented players possible unhappy or nearing the end of contract are targeted regardless of club. Collingwood or other clubs are keen to recruit talent from whatever club. Clubs will pursue talented players they think are get-able., regardless of if the club is a northern one of not.

Badly run clubs , who have no finals prospects will find clubs seeking to aquire their better players. That's regardless of the club being a northern club of not. Clubs that have a lot of talent and salary cap problems will always find clubs seeking to pick up players either through not getting a chance or salary cap pressures. GWS had a lot of talent.

And Why does Sydney get lumped in, a well run club, perennial finals team does not have a player retaining or acquisition problem.

Bloody

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Damien "Flog" Barrett reporting Langdon is talking with Freo today (after talking with Sydney yesterday)
Has he done medical there already?
Harley said he is now overseas so don't know if that means it's a serious option or not

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

valkorum

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Sacremento Kings
Has he done medical there already?
Harley said he is now overseas so don't know if that means it's a serious option or not

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not sure about medical. Apparently he is headed over to Africa with Ed so that could explain why he is over here in Perth...

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If Blakey gets a bid in the top 8, then you may not be able to use only your lesser 2nd rounders.
Plus you obviously have no 1st rounder or 3rd rounder.

I guess Hanners will get you something useful though....
We currently hold four second round picks, not at the very top of the second round but spread throughout it. If we still hold the first two come draft night, they will be sufficient to cover any bid for Blakey from pick 6 onwards.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
I would hazzard a guess at if you've travelled interstate for a medical, the deal is almost as good as done.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You guys have been fail traders, but you've still targeted the northern clubs, hence the need for academies to retain local players

In any event its not great for you guys if Langdon does decide to leave as he's worth more to you than what you'll get in a trade.

FWIW I think he'll probably stay, unless you end up with May
Corrected.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Trade to Sydney is set to happen

Seriously, why do Sydney have an academy? Year after year they pluck reputable interstate players and nobody ever leaves citing homesickness and yet this is the third time in five years that they have been handed a top ten talent in the country on a platter. And yet their supporters still get lippy at Eddie when he cites this ridiculous list management advantage.

All the best to Langers who nearly won us a premiership on his own this September.

You have an academy that you’re about to get a decent player out of no less.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I usually like ****, but not this time.
89373.jpg

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
This deal doesn't look like getting done until one of two things happen; May chooses to sign with Collingwood and thus allowing for Langdon to go rather cheaply or rather the more likely scenario of the Saints trading a satisfactory pick/s the Swans way for Hannebery to which we would then pass on to Pies. Either way, Steven May is ruining this trade period with his farcical non-decision up to this point. #justpickonealready

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
What are thoughts on his value? Early 2nd rounder?
Sydney have plenty of picks in that range but it could be the salary that is the sticking point but depending on the length of the contract the Swans should be able to get it done if the player wants to get there

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This deal doesn't look like getting done until one of two things happen; May chooses to sign with Collingwood and thus allowing for Langdon to go rather cheaply or rather the more likely scenario of the Saints trading a satisfactory pick/s the Swans way for Hannebery to which we would then pass on to Pies. Either way, Steven May is ruining this trade period with his farcical non-decision up to this point. #justpickonealready
Beams wanting to go back to Collingwood just about seals Langdon leaving, but I believe he'll go to Freo & not the Swans

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beams wanting to go back to Collingwood just about seals Langdon leaving, but I believe he'll go to Freo & not the Swans
Surely you're not referring to the cap, we could've fit in Lynch/May (1 mil), let's say Moore got another 200k in his contract, but then we also lost Fasolo (250k-300k), we also haven't even delisted anyone yet and I'm expecting many players to not be offered a new contract.

If anything it just means we will be more strict with what we take for Langdon. We will try use Langdon + Pick 18 + all our later picks to bring in Beams+Quaynor

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Being offered close to $700,000 p/year by the Swans (nearly double what he was on at Collingwood).

Pies cap wont allow them to come close to matching that offer.

That's sounds astonishingly high... although given we were chasing moore on big money and just lost tippett + probably moving hanners off list could be a good get if we've front loaded appropriately.

Last edited:
Back