Strategy Tom Langdon trade bait.

Remove this Banner Ad

But it might come back Mike. I think Tommy needs at least a full pre-season and another year before we make the call on his attributes. His intercept marking in his first year in particular was outstanding.

Langdon will have a Maxwellesque career. Will take him 7-8 years to get respect.

But it might come back Mike. I think Tommy needs at least a full pre-season and another year before we make the call on his attributes. His intercept marking in his first year in particular was outstanding.

Even if he does I don't think he should be getting games.

Yep he completly lost that attribute in the first 3-4 games of the year (when the rest of the side was playing SOOOOO well) before he got injured and was never seen again. Its a convincing sample set you have to admit.
Unbeatable logic.
Agree with you

Langdon will have a Maxwellesque career. Will take him 7-8 years to get respect.
And could be, or has more talent than Nick.
Leadership was Nicks go. Otherwise good footballer in toto

Haven't read the whole thread but I saw Tom at Melbourne Airport last week heading to an International flight.

I know his season is over but is it unusual to head o/s when the season isn't finished. Thought he'd still be around the club rehabbing.

Hopefully not a sign of any issues in house.

Haven't read the whole thread but I saw Tom at Melbourne Airport last week heading to an International flight.

I know his season is over but is it unusual to head o/s when the season isn't finished. Thought he'd still be around the club rehabbing.

It says to me he wants to start his preseason earlier.

Early holiday so he can get into an early preseason routine.

Early holiday so he can get into an early preseason routine.
Fair point.
I just love how any slight "anything" can be interpreted as trouble in paradise.
It is kind of comical. *

* that's not to say that sometimes there is actually trouble.

For what it is worth there are very strong rumours that Tom's brother Ed wants to be traded to a Melbourne based team. Perhaps both Langdon's end up at Hawthorn and you guys end up with a second round draft pick for Tom from us (which we would have to acquire as we traded our 2016 second rounder last year perhaps ballantyne and a third rounder) with Hawthorn getting the two brothers and Freo getting Brad Hill.

Nah, all good.
Billy's gone too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's against AFL rules to start your preseason any earlier that what clubs currently do, so if Langdon wants to start early he'll have to do it by himself

I remember seeing Cameron Ling charging off towards Bells Beach on a fast paced run one October. He lived in Torquay at the time I believe. That's a leisurely 20 odd km run a couple of weeks after the end of the season. I'm sure plenty of players kick off their preseasons early themselves.

I remember seeing Cameron Ling charging off towards Bells Beach on a fast paced run one October. He lived in Torquay at the time I believe. That's a leisurely 20 odd km run a couple of weeks after the end of the season. I'm sure plenty of players kick off their preseasons early themselves.

No doubt, just can't do anything official.

Every player would have an off-season workout routine made by the club

For what it is worth there are very strong rumours that Tom's brother Ed wants to be traded to a Melbourne based team. Perhaps both Langdon's end up at Hawthorn and you guys end up with a second round draft pick for Tom from us (which we would have to acquire as we traded our 2016 second rounder last year perhaps ballantyne and a third rounder) with Hawthorn getting the two brothers and Freo getting Brad Hill.

Collingwood won't deal on Tom yet. That said I still can't believe he's rated as highly as he is by some on here.

A 20 possession game from Langdon has about as much impact as an 8-10 possession game from Aish or Varcoe. That's to say that until he adds another string to his bow on top of his intercept game he'll remain a bog average footballer because he doesn't hurt the opposition with ball in hand and he's as lazy as they come in-game.

It's too early to trade him, IMO, but its all ahead of him now that Howe has his spot and Scharanberg is on the comeback trail as well.

Rofl. Sinclair has been our best small defender this year, and the only player that's been able to provide meaningful run and carry on the rebound. Terrible post.
Sinclair was half the reason we won as many games as we did. His run and carry off half back was just about the best in the league. Agree. Terrible post.

Even if we wanted to it would be a terrible time to trade Langdon. His trade value will have dropped as he has been out for the season.

3 years in the system, 1 written off by injury and the other two he was virtually an automatic selection from round 1 of his 1st season. It's not a bad effort. Many players who make it will spend most of their 1st 2 seasons in the VFL and then when they get selected their 3rd season will be a lot about introducing them to the side, allowing them to find their feet and giving them some latitude. Apparently though if you establish yourself from day 1 and not needing VFL schooling, being. Named in the U22 team of the year by your our peers in both your 1st 2 seasons you suddenly lose the possibility of further development.

He played every game in 2015, he pushed his disposals per game up significantly compared to his 1st season. He has time with the ball in hand, is developing in the area of using the ball well. He has the attributes to be a high possession winning distributor off half back, is brave, strong overhead. He rarely gets caught with the ball even though he hangs onto it trying to look for options. I know that has annoyed a lot of posters on this board but my view it is an evolving skill that will become one of his strong points.

I think he will be at Collingwood in 2017 and that is good.

i reckon langdon could be developed further up the field, off a wing/on ball. dunno what it is about him, but can just see it

i reckon langdon could be developed further up the field, off a wing/on ball. dunno what it is about him, but can just see it
Part of it is he is a high possession winner , he knows how to find the ball so a role on a wing could work

A seco
Part of it is he is a high possession winner , he knows how to find the ball so a role on a wing could work

Agree he finds the pill GC but like so many teammates his disposal is very ordinary
Uf as some suggest we could get a second rounder I would jump at it
A good ordinary footballer would be captain blood's description

Remove this Banner Ad

Back