Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Langdon was indeed very good in 2018. I tend to look at the fact though, that Scharenberg was just as good in the period before he got injured again, and he was coming from a lot further back than Langdon. Yes, he is was/is an important cog in our defence, but not irreplaceable, and certainly not a top 10 player at the club. If he had better decision making and disposal then he’d be thereabouts because his defensive work is almost second to none, but people seem to forget the regular howlers he made which is commonplace when a player has been out for an extended period.

It would appear I like Langers more than you do Apex. :)

Langdon's howlers (they were more frequent in the past) and laid-back style tend to polarise the supporter base. I agree that he isn't top 10 in our list but Shaz hasn't yet performed to the level that Langdon has; in my eyes anyway.

Like so many players the myth that is Tom Langdon grows with each game he misses! In the past 4 seasons he’s played 48 of a possible 94 and 23 of those came in 2018 plus he’s clearly going to miss the first 6-8 in this year. There is no way is he a top 10 player at Collingwood. He had a top 10 season in 2018 and that’s it.

We're a better side with a fit Langdon. I don't believe too many of us are seriously suggesting top 10, but we all saw what he can produce in 2018. What remains to be seen is if we'll ever consistently see that Langdon again. A degenerative knee condition can be a career show-stopper.

We're a better side with a fit Langdon. I don't believe too many of us are seriously suggesting top 10, but we all saw what he can produce in 2018. What remains to be seen is if we'll ever consistently see that Langdon again. A degenerative knee condition can be a career show-stopper.

On that I would agree because it would mean someone like Murphy, Noble or IQ aren’t getting a look in. Although I disagree with your assessment I think there would be a number of posters who would staunchly defend the stance that he’s at least in the discussion as a top 10 player.

It would appear I like Langers more than you do Apex. :)

Langdon's howlers (they were more frequent in the past) and laid-back style tend to polarise the supporter base. I agree that he isn't top 10 in our list but Shaz hasn't yet performed to the level that Langdon has; in my eyes anyway.
You’re right, he hasn’t, mainly because Langdon stepped up after Scharenberg went down (or was forced to step up) and did a brilliant job of it, particularly through the finals series. Hard for a guy to equal that level while sitting in the stands with a busted knee. FWIW, I don’t dislike Langdon. I think we missed him a lot in the second half of last year, and Scharenberg coming off another knee couldn’t, and was never going to fill that void, at least not immediately. The fact that Murphy who was the other obvious replacement was injured all year didn’t help either. I’m looking forward to seeing what both those boys can do with a clean run at it in 2020.

Myths? They’ve all been flaws in his game at one time or another. Although the lack of speed and getting caught from behind were more about a lack of urgency 👍

Consistency, longevity and durability are key to being a top player at an AFL club and he doesn’t fit that criteria at all so he isn’t in that discussion. No matter how out of the box his 2018 was.

FWIW I’ve got him roughly 15 until he proves he can get on the field consistently.

Yeah okay, feel free to totally ignore the premise of the discussion. By your own metrics, his "out of the box" season had to have him in the discussion for top 10 which is all I said in response to Apex's query. Deny it all you like but in October 2018 many would have had him in the top 10.

As to whether he has/had flaws in his game, point me to the player who doesn't. Heater was 1 of the best small defenders I've ever seen play for Collingwood but nobody can tell me he wasn't flawed, prone to shanking it out on the full, or having a brain fade. Yet you rarely hear people highlight those aspects like they do with Langdon. Ditto Crisp and Howe. I'm not sure why people feel the need to hold him to different standards

Yeah okay, feel free to totally ignore the premise of the discussion. By your own metrics, his "out of the box" season had to have him in the discussion for top 10 which is all I said in response to Apex's query. Deny it all you like but in October 2018 many would have had him in the top 10.

As to whether he has/had flaws in his game, point me to the player who doesn't. Heater was 1 of the best small defenders I've ever seen play for Collingwood but nobody can tell me he wasn't flawed, prone to shanking it out on the full, or having a brain fade. Yet you rarely hear people highlight those aspects like they do with Langdon. Ditto Crisp and Howe. I'm not sure why people feel the need to hold him to different standards

Your attempt to shift the goalposts doesn’t particularly impact on my POV. Many would not include the football department I guess who are the ones that actually matter...

Are you having a lend with the Heater comment? He was often called out for his non functioning brain. I also don’t remember saying that most players don’t have flaws? My point was that the flaws YOU named weren’t myths.

I think the discussion is moot anyway because on the basis of Buckley’s comments the prognosis is bleak that we’ll ever see him again in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
Your attempt to shift the goalposts doesn’t particularly impact on my POV. Many would not include the football department I guess who are the ones that actually matter...

Are you having a lend with the Heater comment? He was often called out for his non functioning brain. I also don’t remember saying that most players don’t have flaws? My point was that the flaws YOU named weren’t myths.

I think the discussion is moot anyway because on the basis of Buckley’s comments the prognosis is bleak that we’ll ever see him again in any meaningful way.

Sorry, wasn't aware you spoke for the footy department.

As for me shifting goal posts, it was you who interjected themselves into the discussion so I'm not sure how it is that I'm shifting anything. In fact I don't see that I've deviated 1 iota.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping the mail from a poster over at Nick's last season regarding how poor the state of Langdon's knee actually was and that he might have played his last game had been exaggerated.

Not sounding all that promising now though is it.

This is terrible news but it's over from here.
Can't see how he can make it back.
It does help our salary cap cause if you want to find a positive out of this.

Sam Burgess the South Sydney player is getting steam cell treatment to help the cartilage in his shoulder repair itself and grow back. Could be worth investigating the benefits of it for Langers

Sam Burgess the South Sydney player is getting steam cell treatment to help the cartilage in his shoulder repair itself and grow back. Could be worth investigating the benefits of it for Langers

Is that some new fangled pseudo sauna?

Sorry stem cell, look I have no clue how it works. I was just raising the point apparently somehow it’s helping Sam Burgess regrow the cartilage in his shoulder maybe it can help Langdon
I had treatment on my cartilage-less right knee using Platet-rich Plasma injections and I'm not sure how well it works but I've hung onto my knee way longer than was estimated about 10 years ago. It's still going OK now but I don't run at all, so may not be a good comparison.

Sorry stem cell, look I have no clue how it works. I was just raising the point apparently somehow it’s helping Sam Burgess regrow the cartilage in his shoulder maybe it can help Langdon

Yeah, there's lots of stem cell research going on at the moment and can't see it slowing. Haven't heard anything about knee cartilage but who knows.

The saving grace is that we still have Sharenberg, I think he fits the role and maybe a better player.

We have both Shaz and Murphy but what we lose is Langdon's pace which more often than not allowed him to intercept and help out his team mates.

I had treatment on my cartilage-less right knee using Platet-rich Plasma injections and I'm not sure how well it works but I've hung onto my knee way longer than was estimated about 10 years ago. It's still going OK now but I don't run at all, so may not be a good comparison.
Look with it or without it he may not be able to play. How I see it is if it helps improve his quality of life after footy that’s a win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back