Delisted Tom Lee

Remove this Banner Ad

Comments by Tom on his transition to the backline on Saints.com.au

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-04-19/lee-transformation-culminates-in-return

I particularly liked these beauties.

‘Spud’ Frawley’s been in my ear the whole time. He’s taught me the hard-nosed stuff about being a defender – the not very glamorous side of it.

I’m not in here to hold my spot I really want to make the team win. If helping them win means I’m in the side then that’s what it means.

St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney
1.10pm 24 Apr 2016 - Etihad Stadium

Tom Lee

Disposals - 14
Kicks - 10
Handballs - 4
Contested Possessions - 6
Uncontested Possessions - 7
Disposal Efficiency - 85.7%
Clangers - 1
Marks - 4
Contested Marks - 2
Rebound 50s - 3
Tackles - 2
1%ers - 4
Inside 50s - 0
Goals - 0
Behinds - 1
Time On Ground - 77%

All round a better game from Tom Lee this week especially given the pressure the defence was under with the run of the Giants.

He started much better than last week too with a bullet kick out from the goal square to Riewoldt on defensive 50. Drawing a free kick playing in front of Cameron and a little later a clean mark when playing on Pattinson. But he gave up a goal when caught out playing in front of Greene and couldn’t get back when the ball went over the top and lost contact with Cameron when the Giant marked for his first goal.

At the start of the second quarter he let Cameron get out the back for an easy mark. It happened again when Scully sped down the wing and Tom couldn’t get anywhere near Cameron who marked and kicked his fourth. Tommy was also the guy caught out when a free was paid to Mumford against Fish and Toby Greene played on and kicked an easy goal. Tommy had a great chance to get one back for himself when he received the hand pass from Ross and just missed from 53 out. He then followed up with a good pack mark on the wing. On Bounce, Spud loves Tommy’s defensive work with the double-fisted punch followed by the 30 m round arm to clear defence. He every got a hit out at a centre bounce when Hickey went off after landing heavily in a previous restart.

In the third Tom was playing a long way in front of Pattinson when he took a strong pack mark and kicked a goal. Mopped up a couple of times in defence and delivered lovely kicks to players running forward. In the last 30 seconds of the quarter, Tom couldn’t quite cut off the bouncing ball which came straight back from a Joey turnover and then as everyone fumbled he couldn’t quite make the tackle stick as Jack Steele goaled from the goal square.

During the avalanche of the fourth, Tom took a good mark and got a brain fade 50 off Greene. Later he took the OOB free from near the interchange area and switched it with a 55m kick that after a few more possessions led to Billings missing a running shot at goal from 40 out.

It might be a bit harsh to say there were 6 goals kicked on Tommy by his direct opponents when he should have been closer to the contest but they are the bare facts. He was trying to play 5 metres in front of whichever Giant forward he was on but the delivery into the 50 was too good and he got caught out too often. With the rotations he found himself on Greene a couple of times and couldn’t keep up with him.

He was still better than the previous week and his ball use gives us lots of potential out of defence. He only had one clanger and his disposal efficiency was excellent at 85.7%.

Last edited:
After a reasonable game against GWS and a good half to three quarters against Hawthorn, Tommy has been dropped. The game preview thread is in a bit of a minor meltdown over it but perhaps all those goals have counted against him.

Good luck at Sandy, Tom. Hope to see you back the AFL sooner rather than later.

Richmond 7.12.54
Sandringham 16.15.111
30 April 2016
Punt Road Oval

Tom Lee

Kicks: 14
Handballs: 4
Marks: 7
Tackles: 0
Hit Outs: 1
R50: 2

Thanks to grimlock for the VFL stats.

I haven't seen the match, which Sandy won easily. Tom's stats seem OK, although no tackles. Perhaps the ball wasn't in Richmond's attack very often.

Collingwood 7.5.47
Sandringham 16.18.114
7 May 2016
Holden Centre

Tom Lee was named among Sandy's best in the VFL game against Collingwood on the weekend. The scores were almost identical to last week with the Zebra's more than doubling their opponents score again. In the match write-up on Saints.com.au, Justin Cooper described Tom as a defensive general.

Kicks: 17
Handballs: 3
Marks: 12
Tackles: 3
I50: 1
R50: 2
DT: 103

Thanks to grimlock for posting the VFL stats to the Coll v Sand thread.

Last edited:
Sandringham 16.6.102
Casey Scorpions 19.19.133
14 May 2016
Trevor Barker Beach Oval

Tom Lee was named Sandy's best in the VFL game against Casey on the weekend. Possessions were up on previous weeks but Sandy lost so the ball would have been down there more often. If Richo is looking for more tackles from Tommy, he didn't get any joy this week.

Kicks: 22
Marks: 5
Tackles: 0
I50: 6
R50: 8
DT: 91

Thanks to grimlock for posting the VFL stats.

Sandringham 17.18.120
Casey Scorpions 12.11.83
22 May 2016
Trevor Barker Beach Oval

From the raw stats this would appear to be Tom's worst game of the year at VFL level. Not named among Sandy's best and only one mark and one tackle. A bye next week and then a trip to Geelong to try to bounce back.

Kicks: 14
Handballs: 5
Marks: 1
Tackles: 1
Hit Outs: 0
I50: 3
R50: 4
Goals: 1
Behinds: 0
DT: 66

Thanks as always to grimlock for posting the VFL stats.

Being emergency for the seniors, Tom had a quiet week this week missing the tight Sandy win at Geelong and watching the Adelaide carnage from the stands.

Otherwise he had a nice stroll along the Torrens, checked out the shops in Rundle Mall and enjoyed a pie floater. *

One thing for certain. Tom will play this week. I don't know what level he will play but with the VFL bye he hasn't played for two weeks so he will be on the field somewhere this weekend.

* May not have done any of these things.

I haven't watched the replay yet but from watching the game live Tommy had a good, solid first half. He took a particularly strong mark in defence in the first quarter. He didn't manage to get back on the field in the second half after 'twisting his knee', as Richo described it in his Member Only message. There is no news on how bad it might be and he will have scans this week to determine the extent of the injury. If it is minor then the bye has come at a good time for him.

Very hard to judge Tom's performance from the replay, he hardly makes an appearance which is more a reflection on Carlton than him. The ball really didn't get down there that often. As a consequence he only had 2 disposals from 47% TOG and hobbled off midway through the 3rd after landing awkwardly from a marking contest near the interchange area.

At 3 quarter time David King reported Tom had a fitness test but there was no vision so what that involved I don't know. Anyway Tom spent the rest of the game on the bench with ice on his left knee.

I haven't heard anything about how his scans went.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom is listed in the latest injuries as Test which would appear to be good news and opens the possibility that he can keep his place in the side for the Geelong game.

Didn't see Tommy on the field this weekend but he was doing sterling PR job for the Club during half time on Saturday night at the water fountain near aisle 17 on level 1. Happy to chat with fans and pose for pictures.

According to The West Australian 'athletic forward' Tom Lee could return to Claremont if he is de-listed by St Kilda at the end of the year. It appears that Claremont are targeting a number of AFL and VFL players in a bid to make them a premiership contender in 2017. Claremont are due to move into new $18m premises at Claremont Oval next year.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31950337/revealed-tigers-flag-blueprint/

According to The West Australian 'athletic forward' Tom Lee could return to Claremont if he is de-listed by St Kilda at the end of the year. It appears that Claremont are targeting a number of AFL and VFL players in a bid to make them a premiership contender in 2017. Claremont are due to move into new $18m premises at Claremont Oval next year.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31950337/revealed-tigers-flag-blueprint/

Thats interesting. I wonder if we will delist him.

I believe we should retire Fisher and allow Lee to play

Thats interesting. I wonder if we will delist him.

I believe we should retire Fisher and allow Lee to play

I think Sam Fisher should be allowed to make his own decision but if this latest setback at training that Richo mentioned last night is anything more than post-training tightness then perhaps Sam's body is making the decision for him. If Sam does retire then I think Tom need to be kept on next year as a tall defensive/swing option.

Goad Coast Suns v St Kilda
Metricon Stadium
2 July 2016

A tough day for Tommy. Three big lads in the GC forward line was always going to be a big ask and then we came with very little pressure up the ground and ... well ... we all know what happened.

Overtime I saw Tom on the telly he appeared to have just gotten injured but just when you feared he was gone for the day, he popped up with a great contested mark in defence. His cameo in at the centre bounce was laughable. He may be able to pinch hit in the ruck duels around the ground but was well beaten that one time in the centre, albeit a small sample.

I'd say it's between him and Delaney if only Dempster is fit to come in and probably both will go if Fisher is fit too.

Stats
Kicks - 7
HB - 1
Contested Possessions - 3
Disposal Efficiency - 87.5%
Marks - 4
Contested Marks - 1
Rebound 50s - 3
Tackles - 0
1% - 3
I50 - 1
TOG - 78%

Coburg 5.6.36
Sandringham 12.13.85
9 July 2016
Piranha Park

Kicks: 13
Handballs: 5
Marks: 7
Tackles: 1
I50: 1
R50: 4
Goals: 0
Behinds: 0
DT: 71

Thanks as always to grimlock for posting the detailed VFL stats each week.

With only 5 goals to Coburg it looks like there wasn't much pressure on the backs and perhaps Tom's stats reflect that. To quote Blurt's excellent player review in the game thread.

"Non contact game in defense playing mainly on himself. Repelled quite a few attacks, used the ball well but the Coburg players would push up the ground and Sandringham would set a zone across half-back where Lee got quite a few possessions with little to no pressure often playing as the spare."

Another newspaper report about the potential return to Claremont if Tom is delisted from St Kilda.

Claremont are looking at a quartet of players who could allow them to make a tilt at the 2017 WAFL premiership. Beau Maisters who starred in the Tigers 2011 premiership has said he will play on next year if the club has a role for him. Beau and Tom both played in that 2011 Claremont premiership and were teammates at the Saints although they only played in the seniors once together, in 2013 against GWS.

Beau was reluctant to speculate about a potential reunion next year.

I don’t want to end anyone’s AFL career, let alone a mate from the club,” he said.

We are premiership team-mates, so I wish him the best and we will see what happens.”

The article also notes that the coach of the 2011 Claremont premiership side, Simon McPhee is currently head of St Kilda's Player Academy and Development.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/32049868/tall-tigers-could-be-flag-winning-combo/

I haven't seen the official stats from last weekend's game against Port Melbourne but The Borough so I'm happy on that score and Nathan Freeman seems to have made it through the game OK so I'm doubly happy.

Tom was listed among Sandy's best, played forward for some part of the game and appears to have had a nightmare first quarter along with most of his teammates.

I can't judge where he sits on our list. He doesn't always star at VFL level but has had several opportunities at AFL level when there is a role for him to play. I'd say he's not knocking the door down to be retained on the list next year but with Fisher less able to get onto the field for 22 rounds and Dempster not getting any younger, perhaps there is still a spot for him next year as a pinch-hitting swingman.

Casey Scorpions 12.20.92
Sandringham 7.4.46
24 July 2016
Casey Fields

Tom Lee was named as Sandy's second best in the VFL game against Casey earlier today. Not sure what that really means since Casey won easily and the raw stats are not sensational.

Kicks: 13
Marks: 4
Tackles: 3
I50: 2
R50: 6
G: 1
B: 0
DT: 77

Thanks to grimlock for posting the VFL stats to the Casey v Sandringham thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back