Delisted Tom Lee

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice comment about Tom's game against Willy by Ads734 in the game day thread.

Lee-thought he was clear bog was super in defence with his defensive marking and when switched forward had a similar impact. Really good contribution.

Looking forward to seeing the stats when they are available.

Nice comment about Tom's game against Willy by Ads734 in the game day thread.

Lee-thought he was clear bog was super in defence with his defensive marking and when switched forward had a similar impact. Really good contribution.

Looking forward to seeing the stats when they are available.
Yea he was really fantastic, had real confidence to go for his marks. In a team where the other side was getting it in so easily he was a real shining light in defense. Took some very good contested makrs and his kicking for the most part was quite good.
Still think he could bring value to our side playing the dempster role

Yea he was really fantastic, had real confidence to go for his marks. In a team where the other side was getting it in so easily he was a real shining light in defense. Took some very good contested makrs and his kicking for the most part was quite good.
Still think he could bring value to our side playing the dempster role

It will be interesting to see who retires at the end of the year and we we keep to fill those roles or provide backup. I think Tom is in the mix to stay on next year but we'll have to see. Would be an interesting side with Carlisle, Bruce and Lee all as potential swingmen if the game wasn't going to plan.

Unfortunately I think his papers have been stamped for a long time.

As a 25 year old, with 4 years on the list he needs to be playing seniors and Richo has preferred to go into matches minus tall defenders rather than give Tom a go.

Shenton, Murdoch, Curren, Fisher & Lee would be very unlikely to b eon the list next year.

I wish Tom could have played 10 or so games this year to give him a chance to grow some confidence, he certainly has talent, but perhaps not quite enough application.

Unfortunately I think his papers have been stamped for a long time.

As a 25 year old, with 4 years on the list he needs to be playing seniors and Richo has preferred to go into matches minus tall defenders rather than give Tom a go.

Shenton, Murdoch, Curren, Fisher & Lee would be very unlikely to b eon the list next year.

I wish Tom could have played 10 or so games this year to give him a chance to grow some confidence, he certainly has talent, but perhaps not quite enough application.

I tend to agree but it does depend on who stays out of Fish and Dempster. If one or both retire then Tom might retain his spot on the list.

Further confirmation that To did alright on the weekend from Enclosed_Animal

Lee: People calling for him to be delisted have rocks in their head. Made some blues in the first 3 quarters down back, but was the only reason we remained at close as we did. Went forward in the last and looked like marking everything (nobody else did that all day in perfect conditions). When people ask what we did different in the last to come home that well … Answer is Tom Lee forward. Great depth and I still think has something to offer at AFL

Numbers aren't everything but… considering Tom missed half of the Carlton game, he has basically the same numbers as our most consistent defender this year. Dempster will be comfortably in our top 10 B&F you'd think.

qLYVJHU.png

Sandringham 6.22.58
Williamstown 11.16.82
31 July 2016
Trevor Barker Beach Oval

Tom played in defence for the first three quarters then went forward in the last kicking a few goals. Listed (5th) in the best for Sandy. Just like with the St Kilda side, terrible kicking for goal (6.22) meant there was no chance for a win against a good team in Willy.

Kicks: 14
Handballs: 4
Marks: 9
Tackles: 1
Hit Outs: 0
I50: 1
R50: 4
Goals: 3
Behinds: 2
DT: 101

Thanks as always to grimlock for posting the VFL stats.

North Ballarat 11.8.74
Sandringham 19.13.127
6 August 2016
Eureka Stadium

I find it impossible to judge Tom's performance on these types of stats. Sandringham won well so do that mean there wasn't much work required down back? Was he playing forward and just couldn't the target (0.3). Perhaps someone who saw the game could enlighten me how Tom Lee played.

Kicks: 10
Handballs: 0
Marks: 4
Tackles: 2
Goals: 0
Behinds: 3
DT: 50

Thanks as always to grimlock for posting the VFL stats.

Sandringham 9.15.69
Box Hill Hawks 13.13.91
14 August 2016
TBBO

To my uneducated eyes, Tom's performances seem to be falling. Earlier in the season he was often among the best for Sandy but that hasn't been the case recently. It could be that these are games that the Zebras have lost but in theory that gives defenders more of an opportunity to shine.

Kicks: 9
Marks: 6
Tackles: 0
Hit Outs: 1
I50: 2
R50: 3
Goals: 1
Behinds: 1
DT: 50

Thanks again to grimlock for posting the VFL stats in each VFL game day thread.

Thought Tom was really vocal, definitely leading the defence when it was under siege. Unfortunately missed a shot at goal which would have made it a 3 point game with a minute or two to go, would have backed him to slot it too.

Sandringham 12.17.89
Box Hill Hawks 14.14.98
21 August 2016
TBBO

Not huge numbers for Tom again this week and not listed among Sandy's best as he was earlier in the season when he was elevated for a few games in the seniors. Still these are his best raw stats since Sandy played Willy three matches ago.

Kicks: 13
Marks: 7
Tackles: 2
Behinds: 1
DT: 70

Thanks to grimlock for posting the VFL stats in each VFL game day thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Werribee 14.10.94
Sandringham 10.14.74
28 August 2016
Avalon Airport Oval

This is the seventh game in a row for Sandy, since being dropped ofter the Gold Coast v St Kilda game, that Tom has amassed less than twenty possessions. In complete contrast to the start of the season when he was regularly listed in Sandringham's best players, he hasn't got close in the latter part of the season. Sadly, I fear that the opportunity to return to Claremont will be coming Tom's way in the next few weeks.

He didn't work out as a forward and Bruce, Membrey and McCartin have gone past him. Reinvented as a defender he has had his opportunities but with Carlisle coming into the side, Goddard to return from injury and a very promising debut by White yesterday I reckon there are already too many in front of him even if both Fisher and Dempster didn't play next year, and that's not going to happen.

Still, he has at least one VFL final to impress and as a Port Melbourne supporter I hope it is just that one chance ;). Maybe through the trading season an scenario will develop where will remain on St Kilda's books for 2017 but I'm not sure how that is going to happen.

Kicks: 12
Handballs: 1
Marks: 6
Tackles: 0
I50: 2
R50: 2
Behinds: 2
DT: 55

Thanks to grimlock for posting the VFL stats in each VFL game day thread.

For the first time in many, many weeks I got to see Tommy play today. On TV in the first half and in person at North Port Oval in the second. I was impressed. Judging from the stats, the latter part of his season has been very ordinary. Sandy were being pumped and his numbers were down, week after week.

Today was the best game I have seen him play (and granted I haven't seen many of his Sandy games). He was brilliant in attack and very solid when he was moved back. I'll be very interested to see his stats.

That being said, Port were poor. They played too many who were underdone and you get found out when you do that in finals.

So Sandy live for another week and Tom has another chance to shine and maybe Tom Lee will still be on an AFL list in 2017, maybe even at St Kilda.

grimlock has posted the stats from today's Port Melb v Sandy Elimination Final.

Tommy is listed as the one of Sandy's best players (4th). That hasn't happened for a few months but interestingly his numbers aren't as good as I would have expected (except in one aspect).

Marks: 8
I50: 4
R50: 1
Goals: 5
Behinds: 0
DT: 95

Five goals straight and an easy (in the end) seven and a half goal win surely influence how we view the performances of players. Tom looked superb today and that he was only 4th best for Sandy shows how well they played as a team. Very interested to see how he backs up against Willy next week. Andy Collins (Williamstown coach) left about half way through the last quarter. He'd seen enough. He's a good coach and he should have his team ready for Sandy.

grimlock has posted the stats from today's Port Melb v Sandy Elimination Final.

Tommy is listed as the one of Sandy's best players (4th). That hasn't happened for a few months but interestingly his numbers aren't as good as I would have expected (except in one aspect).

Marks: 8
I50: 4
Goals: 5
DT: 95

Five goals straight and an easy (in the end) seven and a half goal win surely influence how we view the performances of players. Tom looked superb today and that he was only 4th best for Sandy shows how well they played as a team. Very interested to see how he backs up against Willy next week. Andy Collins (Williamstown coach) left about half way through the last quarter. He'd seen enough. He's a good coach and he should have his team ready for Sandy.

Part of the thing with Tommy today, was that I don't think Ayres took him seriously as a forward target, given he's been playing back so much. It was a surprise move.

Collins will be more ready.

Part of the thing with Tommy today, was that I don't think Ayres took him seriously as a forward target, given he's been playing back so much. It was a surprise move.

Collins will be more ready.

I agree on both parts. Port couldn't handle Sandy's tall options and hardened AFL bodies. Even Jack Sinclair looked big compared to a lot of the Port boys. Tom Lee was yet another option and they probably did expect him to play back.

Let's see what next week brings. North Port again? Not Sure. Hope so, only 500m from my place :)

I reckon the past two weeks might have shown where Tom Lee is at the moment. Good when the team is playing well and struggling to make an impact when the team is not playing very well.

Yesterday I wrote that when the team plays badly, Tom Lee struggles to make an impact. Players with claims to play at AFL level need to make an impact at VFL level regardless of how their teammates are playing. Saunders, Sinclair, Curren, Rice, Templeton and Simpkins all tried their best yesterday and were in the game. So too Sandy listed players such as Weickhardt and Answerth. At this stage only three of them are in line to play AFL next year. On yesterday's performance Tommy is below them all. No doubt Andy Collins had a plan to curb Tom's contribution after a good performance in the first week of finals but check out the stats ... not pretty.

Kicks: 7
Marks: 4
DT: 37

Tom Lee was delisted today along with Cameron Shelton, Brodie Murdoch and Eli Templeton. Not terrible players any of them and I think it shows the quality of our developing list that these are the players that have been let go.

Tommy has his opportunities. He is a beautiful kick but couldn't get the ball enough to be really threatening up forward not to mention his regular injuries. He reinvented himself, somewhat, as a defender but again couldn't break into the senior side that really had quite a weak defence. Now with Carlisle and Brown becoming active members of the squad there would be even less chance of Tom breaking into the team.

I'll like to thank Tom Lee (and the other three boys) for his service to the Saints. Maybe he gat another chance at another AFL club or perhaps there is a tilt at a premiership waiting for him with Claremont in the WAFL.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-10-28/st-kilda-list-changes

Confirmation that Tommy Lee will play with Claremont in WA next year and hopes to make it back to the AFL one day.

Classy way to leave the club too.

His relationship with the Saints remains good and he spoke to CEO Matt Finnis and COO Ameet Bains when he went back to Seaford to finalise everything.

"I didn’t want to leave on a sour note. The club’s been really good to me and the opportunity they gave me, I’ll always be grateful for. I’ve got no reason to be bitter whatsoever," he said.

"I feel like I went about it the right way and they went about it the right way and it all ended pretty smoothly, so I can’t complain about that."

He sees the club’s bid for a second premiership to sit alongside the 1966 premiership as on track.

"Based on what I’ve seen, it’s as good a tilt to the flag as we’ve had the last few years," he said.

"I really, really hope they have success because it makes you getting delisted worth something if it all pans out for them.

"I’ll be supporting them the whole way through and I can’t wait to watch them have a crack at a Grand Final in the next couple of years. I reckon they’re definitely capable of it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-04/delisted-saints-tall-not-giving-up-on-afl-dream

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back