Tom Lynch’s cowardly act deserves a week

Remove this Banner Ad

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon this is worth a week. Totally unnecessary and pretty gutless attack on a defenceless player. Too much of this happening lately. Match Review Officer needs to come down hard. Low act by Lynch. Real potential to cause concussion.

Last edited:
I reckon this is worth a week. Totally unnecessary and pretty gutless attack on a defenceless player. Too much of this happening lately. Match Review Officer needs to come down hard. Low act by Lynch. Real potential to cause concussion.

If the Lions player had've rolled over just before Lynch got him an errant finger could have cost him an eye! AN EYE!!!

Don't think you can give it a week no matter how hard you apply the guidelines (not nearly hard enough, Alex Rance got weeks for a similar hit but much much harder) but yep, I hate this sort of act and think it's definitely a misconduct fine.

Too much of it. Not tough. Guy on the ground head down, and you whack him in the head. The AFL cracks down on all these behaviours they don't want, but let these fly by? Misconduct is pretty broad.

However, having said that, I dislike the AFL applying new rules mid-season and even more so retrospectively. So bit harsh on Lynch to get done when others have done similar this season (Aidan Corr did it to Todd Marshall not long ago and as far as I'm aware escaped punishment).

I'd be happy with this being the "line in the sand" moment. Lynch gets a pass, but send a memo, any more pathetic incidents like this and you'll be up for a misconduct fine. Bring it back to normal fines too. No doubt Richmond fans (because in this specific incidence it's their player) will carry on like tough guys but let's be honest, if they were objective they know they wouldn't like it and would complain if it was their player being hit, which is the same with every incident.

Real potential to cause concussion.
No it doesn't. Its an open hand push/slap without much force. Its not the type of act that's going to cause a concussion at that level of force.

It was slimy, and cheap and I dont like the look of that from the games perspective, but that doesn't carry much of a risk with the level of force. It had no impact.

I could see him getting a fine, but would be surprised if that was deemed sufficient force to miss a game.

Don't think you can give it a week no matter how hard you apply the guidelines (not nearly hard enough, Alex Rance got weeks for a similar hit but much much harder) but yep, I hate this sort of act and think it's definitely a misconduct fine.

Too much of it. Not tough. Guy on the ground head down, and you whack him in the head. The AFL cracks down on all these behaviours they don't want, but let these fly by? Misconduct is pretty broad.

However, having said that, I dislike the AFL applying new rules mid-season and even more so retrospectively. So bit harsh on Lynch to get done when others have done similar this season (Aidan Corr did it to Todd Marshall not long ago and as far as I'm aware escaped punishment).

I'd be happy with this being the "line in the sand" moment. Lynch gets a pass, but send a memo, any more pathetic incidents like this and you'll be up for a misconduct fine. Bring it back to normal fines too. No doubt Richmond fans (because in this specific incidence it's their player) will carry on like tough guys but let's be honest, if they were objective they know they wouldn't like it and would complain if it was their player being hit, which is the same with every incident.
Wont defend the act at all, cheap and I hate that in the game, nothing good about it.

Don't think it warrants a suspension though given the current rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL are weak - if they really wanted to stamp out idiotic bravado they could. But they choose to go down the path of impact rather than intent - which means they like it the way it is until someone is hurt.

Not great from Tom, but looked like Witherden’s head contacted his arm. Christian has been reluctant to suspend this season so should get away with a fine. Should...

Yep. They should use precedent but don’t. The Hawkins and Yeo incidents the week before mean he SHOULD get off.

But I’d like to see all three of these types of incidents stamped out of the game.
Should probably get a fine but after seeing Dusty only get fines for gut punches, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get off entirely.

According to the MRO matrix it should be a week.

Intentional, low impact and high contact is 1 week.

if incidents like these don’t start being graded as intentional then what’s the point in even having that criteria? Behind play, no need for any contact and chose to hit him high, clear case for intentional

Remove this Banner Ad

Back