Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
Was at the game Friday night against Collingwood. Half way through the second quarter, whist the Pies had just kicked 9 of the past 11 goals to take a 18 point lead, I decided to start watching him and see what actual things he does. The end result, Tom Lynch works his bloody arse off and isn't getting any reconnection.

Therefore, I feel it's time to start a Tom Lynch appreciation thread for the 190 cm half forward flanker from St Kilda.

What was looking like another loss in another somewhat poor season, the break down of our already stale forward line was looking rather grim. Add this to the loss of the clubs most destructive forward since Modra in Tex Walker and Josh Jenkins not coming on as quick as we had hoped for, Tom Lynch has really stood up.

Last year we traded the compensation second round pick for Ivan Maric to St Kilda and was looking like a major bust. He played 6 games and in those 6 games he kicked 7 goals. The level of work he put in wasn't really being noticed as he ended up kicking 7 goals but a few of those were 'Joe the Goose' goals over the back and this took attention away from his level of work he did up the ground.He spend a large part of the season playing for the Glenelg Football club and wasn't really getting a look in.

Fast forward to season 2013 and Tex Walker gets injured, the season is shot and we are looking like we have nothing. Hang on one second, up stands the boy from St Kilda whose only noticeable quality used to be his best mates friendship with Australian Fast Bowing sensation JamesPattinson and his father being the chairman of selectors at Bushrangers in Victoria.

But their is more to this lad than meets the eye, his season so far has turned into a major asset to the Adelaide Crows. He has dramatically increased his possession averages from 9.6 in 2012 to 17.7 over his 12 games so far this season. He has improved his around the ground marking from 5.1 marks per games to 8.9 marks.

He is leading the Adelaide Crows goals kicking with 24 but even if you remove his 10 against the GSW, his goals kicking is still a very good return.

However, his major assess is his work rate. He never stops. One passage of play that really improved me Friday Night was in the 3rd quarter. The ball was kicked in after a Collingwood behind and he took the mark in the back pocket. The ball was them moved forward and he received it again on center wing, he hand balled it to MacKay who turned it over. Lynch sprinted back took an intercepting mark on the boundary line in front of Cloke before moving the ball on. The Crows were able to move the ball up the ground by switching play and moving up the Western Wing of the MCG and guess who got the high free kick and then kicked a goal? that's right, Tom Lynch.

Last words - My boy Tom Lynch is a very good player and we need to show him much, much more love. So, he is no more Ten Goal Tommy, he is the Thomas the Tank engine and the boy who could and just wouldn't give up. So.....GET AROUND HIM.

918906-tom-lynch.jpg

Edition one: Daniel Talia
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/daniel-talia-appreciation-thread.851015/

Best third tall going around
Lynch>darling
I called it earlier in the year too, he is close to an elite kick

Who's a better player, Gunston or Lynch?

Was thinking about this the other day as well.

I'd suggest, Gunston but Lynch is very close. Much closer than I had anticipated.

But Lynch biggest strength his his work rate, I don't (or didn't see it) with Gunston. Lynch works his arse off, up and down the ground. time after time.

So, depending on what type of player you are looking for, Lynch may get the nod.

Watched him play a game early in the season at Glenelg, and noticed his workrate.

Has basically brought that game into the AFL and built on it.

Plays CHF a lot like Nick Riewoldt. Is a bit smaller, but the aerobic capacity and ability to set up forward play between CHF/CHB is similar.

Watched him play a game early in the season at Glenelg, and noticed his workrate.

Has basically brought that game into the AFL and built on it.

Plays CHF a lot like Nick Riewoldt. Is a bit smaller, but the aerobic capacity and ability to set up forward play between CHF/CHB is similar.

Same as how Chad Cornes used to play as a forward.

Was thinking about this the other day as well.

I'd suggest, Gunston but Lynch is very close. Much closer than I had anticipated.

But Lynch biggest strength his his work rate, I don't (or didn't see it) with Gunston. Lynch works his arse off, up and down the ground. time after time.

So, depending on what type of layer you are looking for, Lynch may get the nod.

I wonder that if we kept Gunston could he and Tex work well together. I personally think Tex and Lynch will be a better combination next year.

I wonder that if we kept Gunston could he and Tex work well together. I personally think Tex and Lynch will be a better combination next year.

Look, I don't know but I suspect you maybe right.

Basing it on yesterday (only heard it on the radio) - Gunston played well without Buddy. Has he been this dominate with Buddy in the side before?

He sounded very dangerous, so your point about him not being able to work with another key forward may be very valid.

Adding to that, Lynch will also be further up the ground and will not get in Walkers way.

I agree with you that Tex and Lynch will work better but Gunston is a very good player. Not going to bag him.

Look, I don't know but I suspect you maybe right.

Basing it on yesterday (only heard it on the radio) - Gunston played well without Buddy. Has he been this dominate with Buddy in the side before?

He sounded very dangerous, so your point about him not being able to work with another key forward may be very valid.

Adding to that, Lynch will also be further up the ground and will not get in Walkers way.

I agree with you that Tex and Lynch will work better but Gunston is a very good player. Not going to bag him.

I agree Gunston is very good. More a question on team balance. Lynch does the work up the ground Gunston does little of.

Academic really as Gunston is gone and we have Lynch.

I agree Gunston is very good. More a question on team balance. Lynch does the work up the ground Gunston does little of.

Academic really as Gunston is gone and we have Lynch.

and that is the key right there and why he is a better fit for us.

The commentators on TV really noted his work rate. They gave him appropriate recognition without going OTT.

Will really come into his own next year. With Tex in the team he will allow JJ to relief ruck and play forward. He can play up the ground while JJ is in the fwd line and allow Tex to stay home. And he can work the fwd line with Jenkins when Tex moves up the ground.

Allows for flexibility in the fwd line. Particularly important when Tex is finding form and on the comback trail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's a better player, Gunston or Lynch?

Both are third tall forwards
Gunston gets left alone most weeks as the focus is on the other two stars. If buddy leaves, he will struggle
Lynch has had to take all the focus and been great

They have similar marking, but lynch takes more
Gunston a better kick for goal, lynch almost as good, but a much better field kick also

I wouldn't mind gunston for Jenkins, but Definately wouldn't take him for lynch

A massive asset to the team, that kick of his borders on godly at times and is consistently good. Being a 40 goal per year forward in coming seasons is definitely plausible.

I hope he's a shining example to all the others and they observe what simple attribute he is employing that they can all control as well......workrate

I was impressed with his after match interview on 5aa. Very strong when Rowey suggested that now they're out of the finals, he could lay back and enjoy watching the cricket. "No way." They're in it to the very end. He was inspiring - if only some of the others could be so hard working.

People need to remember how few games of AFL Jenkins has played

He is also taking the number 1 defender with Tex's injury. Tex will get the best defender next year, freeing JJ up somewhat. just needs to ditch the yips

But onto Lynch. Yep, he's showing he belongs at this level and why he was a round 1 selection. Good on him. Can't wait to see the damage he can do with him, Porps, Tex and JJ as forwards

Seems like a really down to earth guy, and the players love him. "The Giant Slayer" has been great this year. One of few positives from this season, and will be much better for the experience as well.

When Tex gets back next year, both JJ and Lynch will reap the rewards of not being on the best defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back