Universal Love Tom Lynch appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a fan of Lynch. I like to call him the goal-sneak because one of his great attributes is getting into space in the pockets and around the goal mouth. A solid return.

Rapt to have him back, even in 2012 I thought he shouldve played more games as there was something about the way he played in limited time. Is that important link between mids and our talls and is the reason I believe we can play 3 big guys in the one side.

Marking power of a tall, running power of a tall mid, he was a top 10 pick wasnt he ?? Saints got Newnes from the trade but id say we were the winners
Pretty sure Eeeeeevaaaan was part of the 3 way deal so Tigers did well too.

One of those good all around trades that sometimes happen

Way to remind us of your value to the team!!

I reckon on the long dimensions of the Adelaide Oval this bloke is going to have a picnic...taking his opponent up the ground and back again. Can see him running into a few open goals with defenders ten yards back with their tongues hanging out :)

Teaming him up with Tex, Jenkins, Betts, Pods and Dougy means he is going to get off the chain nearly every week. And he will make you pay.

Tough matchup and makes the team that much better with his hard running link up play and finding space for easy goals. Great to watch, our forward line looks strong and set for a numbe of years.

to me if positions become tight and we need to reshuffle the forward line the put lynch on the wing.he is a natural wingman and never out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the Ginger Ninja!
keep-calm-i-m-the-ginger-ninja.png

Lynch didn't really have anything to do with the Gunston deal, though. We swapped Maric for him.

For Gunston we effectively got Kerridge, Jenkins and Grigg.
Don't think this was ever suggested.

I think the comparison just stems from people seeing Lynch as a roughly like for like replacement - although clearly they have differences

Hes not too far away from going past Gunston, or at least us breaking even on that deal.
Has proved to be a great replacement.

So we have effectively swapped Maric + Gunstan for Lynch, Kerridge, JJ & Grigg.

Looks OK to me.

If only for Tippett-gate...

What exactly was the trade when we lost Maric and Gunstan.

Maric was a three-way swap. We ended up with Lynch, Richmond got Maric and St Kilda got pick 37 (Jack Newnes).

The Gunston trade was a bit more complicated. We got pick 24 from Hawthorn, and also slightly upgraded two later picks (53 and 71 turned into 46 and 64).

We then traded pick 24 to receive picks 27, 31 and 68. With pick 27 we recruited Kerridge. We traded pick 31 for Jenkins and pick 41, and then used pick 41 to take Grigg.

Pick 68 was part of a bundle (Armstrong + 35 + 68) we put together to trade for Johnston.

To end the story, our slightly upgraded picks of 46 and 64 went towards Joyce and Ellis-Yolmen.

If you like, you can summarise the above most succinctly by saying:

OUT: Maric, Gunston, Armstrong, picks 35, 51, 71
IN: Lynch, Kerridge, Jenkins, Grigg, Johnston, Ellis-Yolmen, Joyce

Of course, that's only after the draft. Before the draftwe only had Lynch, Jenkins and Johnston in the hand.

Last edited:
maturing into a fantastic player however we need to stop referring him to a KP type of player as he plays more like a midfielder

Just love the way he shakes off tacklers. He isn't a key forward, but will run defenders ragged all day. Can play him in a forward line of Jenkins, Tex and Pods. Can see him getting plenty of over the back goals later in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back