Opinion Tom Lynch/Did we dodge a bullet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d venture it’s a bit naive if you don’t think every club has drug takers. Every club.
Amazing so few get done. Then again the system is in their favour.
We’ve seen the West Coast. Carlisle, Watts. Las Vegas.
A player found on a city road, out of his brain, let’s call him Bulldog.
A hawthorn guy done the third time, lucky he’s alive.
A tree jumper in Las Vegas, tragic end.
So the drug thing is not particularly a Collingwood thing.
What can be done, not sure much else.

Gambling just technically to start with, Crisp was at Brisbane as the time but when punished had arrived at us.
Again, Naive if you believe it’s just a few players and all are Collingwood. There’s been other cases with fines ofcourse. Only one, our very own, known to place bets on his own side. Not smart.
Highly doubt he’s a lone wolf. But he talked and put it on the table by himself.
I’m quite confident there’s others tonight quietly thinking to themselves, I dodged a bullet.

My biggest point has always been, it’s not a unique Collingwood thing. Others may think we’re cursed, or there’s something in the water or whatever. But there is no coach or person of responsibility at our club b telling players you can do whatever you like, go for it, just play good football.

Nope.

We have our ding bats like every other club.

You’d think they would learn but for each individual they see the world through their own eyes.
Inevitably some just won’t give a stuff regardless of all the education you give them.
Some take a random dumb risk. Some just don’t think at that moment.

I bet if you were running the show, you were checking all the warnings and training, you’d have some players stuff it up and you’d wonder how did that happen.

Inevitably of dumbness, youth, alcohol, too much cash, peer pressure and all sorts of other reasons.

If we step back, there’s been so many weird strange football things happen in recent times. From all clubs.
That’s the odds with 18 clubs and then having 45 players plus each.

Just tossing names out there:
Cousins, Mainwaring, Kerr, Garlett D, Tuck T, Stevens N, Lake, Daw, Angwin, the whole Essendon saga, Murphy J, Krakouer A, Krakouer J, Liberatore, McCarthy, Ablett Snr, Watts, King, Vickery, Broad, Thompson M, King D, Hodge, Selwood J, Curnow C, Butters...

That’s just some I rattled off that have had indiscretions and what not.
You’d think David King would know not to drink drive, and others.

And that’s not including the nose candy lovers that are rumoured.

We have our lads, absolutely. But so do all the clubs.
I agree 100% with your assertion that all clubs have lads, I just feel like and the perception of the majority of supporters in the afl seems to be that collingwood has had the most trouble stories actually come out publicly. So maybe the issue doesn't lie with the lads, but with the pies sweep and clean team? Maybe the legal team or whoever normally prevents issues going public are too slow to react.

As for the thread topic, I'd have to say life is better with Lynch right now. That could change but he killing it in the contested marks, score assists, goals, pressure acts and a lot of other key areas that I felt we needed strengthening in. I also don't think we could have weathered our rough patch this year quite as well if it weren't for him.

I think he would improve any side really.

I agree 100% with your assertion that all clubs have lads, I just feel like and the perception of the majority of supporters in the afl seems to be that collingwood has had the most trouble stories actually come out publicly. So maybe the issue doesn't lie with the lads, but with the pies sweep and clean team? Maybe the legal team or whoever normally prevents issues going public are too slow to react.

As for the thread topic, I'd have to say life is better with Lynch right now. That could change but he killing it in the contested marks, score assists, goals, pressure acts and a lot of other key areas that I felt we needed strengthening in. I also don't think we could have weathered our rough patch this year quite as well if it weren't for him.

I think he would improve any side really.

Too slow to react? Sorry bud but it's part and parcel with being Collingwood. The media loves a good Collingwood stitch up because it sells papers better than anything else. We cop a level of amnity and scrutiny no other team gets. We do it without having key media figures championing for and protecting us. Ed does the championing but is just as likely to be generating negative stories and is pretty divisive in the broader footy community.

Too slow to react? Sorry bud but it's part and parcel with being Collingwood. The media loves a good Collingwood stitch up because it sells papers better than anything else. We cop a level of amnity and scrutiny no other team gets. We do it without having key media figures championing for and protecting us. Ed does the championing but is just as likely to be generating negative stories and is pretty divisive in the broader footy community.
I would say the same for Richmond though. In fact I would say that there are lot of needlessly positive stories about the pies out there, but that's the difference in perception of supporters V opposition I guess.

Yeah Ed has been involved with negative press before, but he champions a hell of a lot more than not. From an outside point of view I wish we had a president or key figure of the club in such a high media position.

I still stand by what I said about collingwood being to slow to act or players being to slow to cover up or report to the club directly before it has a chance to get out because as stated by someone else, this happens at every club. A lot. Either collingwood has a problem and things are happening at a higher rate, or they aren't as good at other clubs in ensuring in house issues stay in house.

In reality though every supporter thinks their club is hard done by in the media. I know the past two years I have been sick of and actively angry about the amount of positive press collingwood has had because I have felt that other clubs were not getting focused on when they had good wins, and annoyed that the biggest club with the most members wasn't getting the same screen/print/radio time. Selfishly I might add.

I would say the same for Richmond though. In fact I would say that there are lot of needlessly positive stories about the pies out there, but that's the difference in perception of supporters V opposition I guess.

Yeah Ed has been involved with negative press before, but he champions a hell of a lot more than not. From an outside point of view I wish we had a president or key figure of the club in such a high media position.

I still stand by what I said about collingwood being to slow to act or players being to slow to cover up or report to the club directly before it has a chance to get out because as stated by someone else, this happens at every club. A lot. Either collingwood has a problem and things are happening at a higher rate, or they aren't as good at other clubs in ensuring in house issues stay in house.

In reality though every supporter thinks their club is hard done by in the media. I know the past two years I have been sick of and actively angry about the amount of positive press collingwood has had because I have felt that other clubs were not getting focused on when they had good wins, and annoyed that the biggest club with the most members wasn't getting the same screen/print/radio time. Selfishly I might add.
Basically the media loves a good stitch up regardless of team.

Stop giving them the means to stitch.

Basically the media loves a good stitch up regardless of team.

Stop giving them the means to stitch.

Mate we'd be 20X the nearest rival in media scrutiny....we don't need to give them stuff....they just make it up. Then later they analyse how "other media" got it all wrong!
LOL....its been the same for years. TRUMP'S got nothing on the footy media when it comes to the PIES.

Seems to me you share the same amnity and bias against the Pies that makes Pies stories sell so well. You're the target audience.

I wouldn't say so. Said I was sick of reading so much about the pies (vast majority positive over past 2 years) because it was robbing time from other clubs and selfishly my own.

I also talked about a supporters perception of media treatment of their club and how you aren't alone in thinking your club is hard done by in terms of media. Now when you are all complaining about constantly being bashed but all other supporters are saying they are sick of media sucking collingwood knob or when Richmond fans complain about there not being any tigers coverage but the rest of the comp is f'ing sick of hearing about us, does that not make you think, well hang on maybe I'm the one with a bias.

I know that was my thought process. Maybe take off your footy hat and look at it from a media/psychological point if view and you might come to see that it is preeetttyyy even. Yes Richmond and collingwood are going to get focused on when s**t happens. It's the same in the two club states.

I wasn't trying to attack collingwood, as much as I might dislike the club, I was trying to show the mental battle we all have in common in trying to overcome the perception that the media loves to bash our teams.

I would say the same thing to any supporter regardless of team or my personal bias. Again, I'd love nothing more than to never see another collingwood story again. Good or bad.

I wouldn't say so. Said I was sick of reading so much about the pies (vast majority positive over past 2 years) because it was robbing time from other clubs and selfishly my own.

I also talked about a supporters perception of media treatment of their club and how you aren't alone in thinking your club is hard done by in terms of media. Now when you are all complaining about constantly being bashed but all other supporters are saying they are sick of media sucking collingwood knob or when Richmond fans complain about there not being any tigers coverage but the rest of the comp is f'ing sick of hearing about us, does that not make you think, well hang on maybe I'm the one with a bias.

I know that was my thought process. Maybe take off your footy hat and look at it from a media/psychological point if view and you might come to see that it is preeetttyyy even. Yes Richmond and collingwood are going to get focused on when s**t happens. It's the same in the two club states.

I wasn't trying to attack collingwood, as much as I might dislike the club, I was trying to show the mental battle we all have in common in trying to overcome the perception that the media loves to bash our teams.

I would say the same thing to any supporter regardless of team or my personal bias. Again, I'd love nothing more than to never see another collingwood story again. Good or bad.

If you don't want to see another Collingwood article ever again why don't you just, you know, not read the Collingwood articles. You have free will. It's not like Caro is looming over your shoulder with a loaded shot gun. She isn't is she? That'd be weird.

Yea you’re so sick of Collingwood that you’re on a Collingwood board discussing Collingwood.

Admit it, you can’t get enough.

If you don't want to see another Collingwood article ever again why don't you just, you know, not read the Collingwood articles. You have free will. It's not like Caro is looming over your shoulder with a loaded shot gun. She isn't is she? That'd be weird.
shhhh she can hear you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have any stars (De Goey aside) if you don't consider Tom Lynch one.

Talk about over rating
Turns like a barge, getting goals because of the way the ball is delivered to him at the moment. Was rubbish up until rd 11
What we lack at the moment is ball delivery to Cox, Checkers & JDG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Talk about over rating
Turns like a barge, getting goals because of the way the ball is delivered to him at the moment. Was rubbish up until rd 11
What we lack at the moment is ball delivery to Cox, Checkers & JDG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's a gun, came off no pre-season. Now starting to show why he's on the big coin.

Lynch looks like he has trimmed down and is more mobile than early in the season.

Was hardly training early in the season, was nursed through.

Watching Tom Lynch and Cameron the last 2 weeks makes me realise how bad we need a gun key forward. Even JK and Darling in last years GF slammed the point home.

We have done alright to now with a mid-sized forward line, coupled with a giant who just needs to play a role. But our giant has been figured out, and our smalls have been injured or out of form.

Would love a gun Key Forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back