Delisted Tom Lynch [headed to North Melbourne in a coaching role, may be rookie listed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
No thread I could find on this bloke. Wants to play on, has returned in pretty good nick and apparently is highly regarded as a coaching type. But that's from inside the 4 walls at the AFC where we were reliably informed that Brett Burton would end up being widely regarded as an elite Head of Football.

I'd think he'd suit a competing team or a total s**t show but probably not Cats or Swans as half their games are on a small or narrow deck. That said, flags are won on the wide expanses of the G. Only talk I've heard is Cats have interest but that might just be assumption given their inclination to recruit age whilst remaining in the top few.

Is or should any club be throwing a year or 2 at a 31 year old high half forward with questionable defensive function? A supposed future coach but from a club without much to offer in terms of valuable IP.

No thread I could find on this bloke. Wants to play on, has returned in pretty good nick and apparently is highly regarded as a coaching type. But that's from inside the 4 walls at the AFC where we were reliably informed that Brett Burton would end up being widely regarded as an elite Head of Football.

I'd think he'd suit a competing team or a total sh*t show but probably not Cats or Swans as half their games are on a small or narrow deck. That said, flags are won on the wide expanses of the G. Only talk I've heard is Cats have interest but that might just be assumption given their inclination to recruit age whilst remaining in the top few.

Is or should any club be throwing a year or 2 at a 31 year old high half forward with questionable defensive function? A supposed future coach but from a club without much to offer in terms of valuable IP.

We have shown an inclination to recruit players like this for depth, they cost nothing and can play to instruction. Josh Jenkins will be gone and we will have some list spots.

Cats, Lions, Dogs or Pies for mine. Maybe even GC, if they want some more senior heads up there

Essendon could plonk him on a wing. Or as a third tall behind Jones and Wright.

Think we’ve got enough of his type in Francis, Langford and Waterman also it’s very hard to justify bringing in a 30 year old after an 11 win season.

Lynch being available pretty much ensures the Hawks won’t trade Gunston you’d think. No teams going to give up good value when they could grab Lynch for free.

Think we’ve got enough of his type in Francis, Langford and Waterman also it’s very hard to justify bringing in a 30 year old after an 11 win season.

Lynch being available pretty much ensures the Hawks won’t trade Gunston you’d think. No teams going to give up good value when they could grab Lynch for free.

Fair point. I actually think the wing is a spot Essendon could use more depth in until a genuine gun makes the spot their own. I know Lynch has played there in the past. Bombers probably a tad ahead of schedule making finals this season.
Think he'd be a decent pick up for you guys if he was 26/27.

Fair point. I actually think the wing is a spot Essendon could use more depth in until a genuine gun makes the spot their own. I know Lynch has played there in the past. Bombers probably a tad ahead of schedule making finals this season.
Think he'd be a decent pick up for you guys if he was 26/27.

Sort of depends what Cox is long term but I wouldn’t say wing is a pressing need with Durham and Ham being natural wingman plus Langford, Cox, Heppell and McGrath all capable of spending time there.

Sort of depends what Cox is long term but I wouldn’t say wing is a pressing need with Durham and Ham being natural wingman plus Langford, Cox, Heppell and McGrath all capable of spending time there.

Do you see Durham as long term?

Ham has potential. Interested to see how he develops.

I have a huge amount of Essendon supporting friends and they often mention how the wing selections don't fill them with confidence. Cox looks to be the one, you're right. Completely forgot about him.

Do you see Durham as long term?

Ham has potential. Interested to see how he develops.

I have a huge amount of Essendon supporting friends and they often mention how the wing selections don't fill them with confidence. Cox looks to be the one, you're right. Completely forgot about him.

I don’t know how high Durham’s ceiling is but he must highly rated internally given he is holding Cox and Ham out of the side at the moment. I’m pretty high on him though he’s only 20 years old, has good physical tools and was a late convert to footy also hasn’t had an AFL preseason yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Straight to dogs
Seems he'd be a great fit. We could do with more leaders up forward too, no one with potential coaching credentials in our entire forward group unless you count Bont when he rests up forward. With Bruce out, Lynch seems a no-brainer for us

I really hope the Dogs pick him up. Next year we'll be going into Round 1 with Naughton, English, Ugle-Hagan, and Sam Darcy (the latter two still have a long way development wise). Bruce going down has shown his importance, and we're not getting him back until round 20ish next year (if there's no complications), and there's every chance it gets aggrivated/reinjured and adds up to another year to that. Even as depth, he suits the mobility Bevo desires

I really hope the Dogs target him. We don't have anyone expected to drop off in the next year or two so we can afford to top up a little. With Bruce going down, it would provide some much needed experience to a very young 2022 forward line that will be built around Naughton, English, Jamarra & Weightman. He seems to have the ability to play some time on the wing & looks to still be playing some pretty good footy.

With the way the top few have shat themselves of late, 11 wins after a fairly slow start might not be that far off it. Gunner would be free as an RFA I'd have thought, unless Hawks matched. He wouldn't be far off 10 years either and a full FA.

JJ retiring is great news, we need the cap relief.

How the hell are Adelaide getting anywhere near the minimum cap next year?

In the last couple of years they have lost Crouch, Betts, Jacobs, Jenkins, Greenwood, Atkins, Keath, Hartigan. The last few wouldn't have been on big money but they have been replaced with draftees on base so still would have freed up a bit of cap.

Then this year out goes Lynch, Talia, maybe the other Crouch, I think you stop paying for Gibbs as well, Walker's racist comment ends his career?

I know you gave Sloane a stupid contract but are you paying him 5 million a year or something....

With the way the top few have shat themselves of late, 11 wins after a fairly slow start might not be that far off it. Gunner would be free as an RFA I'd have thought, unless Hawks matched. He wouldn't be far off 10 years either and a full FA.

I thought Gunston still had a year to run on his contract

How the hell are Adelaide getting anywhere near the minimum cap next year?

In the last couple of years they have lost Crouch, Betts, Jacobs, Jenkins, Greenwood, Atkins, Keath, Hartigan. The last few wouldn't have been on big money but they have been replaced with draftees on base so still would have freed up a bit of cap.

Then this year out goes Lynch, Talia, maybe the other Crouch, I think you stop paying for Gibbs as well, Walker's racist comment ends his career?

I know you gave Sloane a stupid contract but are you paying him 5 million a year or something....

Nah, we should be ok, was just a bit of humour. Historically we've overpaid senior players and short changed the young guys on the rise. Goes back a fair way. We had McLeod, Edwards and Goodwin retiring at the end of 2010 and I recall John Reid saying it would free up a heap of space because they were all, "very well paid boys". Players in their last year should be earning less than half of their biggest contracts. We pay them the max until they retire. Sloane is a perfect example of the stupidity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back