Rumour Tom Lynch plans on re-signing with Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh come on Adam your delusional club and Dictator President leave you wide open to crap like this.....do you have the right to vote at club elections yet? Or do you have to pay too much for voting rights. I hope you do get Lynch....don't be so precious.

Last edited:

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gold Coast should save their Buddy money for a player as good as Buddy.

It would be a bad move for the GC to go crazy on their offer to Lynch.... but they are in a tough spot...

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh come on Adam your delusional club and Dictator President leave you wide open to crap like this.....do you have the right to vote at club elections yet? Or do you have to pay too much for voting rights. I hope you do get Lynch....don't be so precious.

Adam is spot on when he said 'Obsessed', after a reply like that.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Gold Coast should save their Buddy money for a player as good as Buddy.

It would be a bad move for the GC to go crazy on their offer to Lynch.... but they are in a tough spot...
It's not that tough. They're devoid of established talent, undertaking a complete rebuild, they're in the perfect position to pay Lynch the equivalent of the Tom Boyd contract, with a few advantages:
- less competition at GC for salary cap dollars
- proven player, definitely worth the cash
- easier to keep a player than bring one in
- obviously no trade needed.

I think GC will definitely offer him a bigger contract than anyone else. But if he thinks the place is rotten to the core and Dew can't fix it he'll cross them off the list and take bids from other players.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton would probably prefer Lynch stays at Gold Coast, as he’s certain to generate Band 1 compensation that could push our first rounder out one place, meaning we miss out on a Rankine, Lukoscious, King, Hill...etc.

Agree totally hope Lynch remains at the Suns, and Blakey selects North and they use their 1 Rd pick too.
Lokosius is the player I hope we can snaffle together with Ben Silvagni they should just above solve our KPF woes once and for all.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol, we have been told the Pies have held off chasing KPP, saving for Lynch... so it would be funny.

Would be great for GC that their best player remains, given their retention issues.

Told by who? BF posters?

What i've heard is we held off drafting one last year because this years KP crop is much better, landing Lynch would just be a bonus.

CaptainChardonnay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2009
In the shadows of the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Still has the biggest 10 year deal that I'm aware of.

Who is on more?

Boyd, Martin, Fyfe, are all on equal or better. Dunno how much Kelly extended for but he'd be right up there as well. NicNat ain't that far away and if you're going to include all the stuff outside the cap, Dangerfield smashes them all and by a long way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd, Martin, Fyfe, are all on equal or better. Dunno how much Kelly extended for but he'd be right up there as well. NicNat ain't that far away and if you're going to include all the stuff outside the cap, Dangerfield smashes them all and by a long way.
Lol, these guys are not on a $10M+ contract...

They're all on $1m + with similar tenures remaining on their contracts.

Sloane, Lynch, McGovern and probably Gawn will join that group this year.
Sure, but that doesn't change my original post that Buddy is on the biggest contract deal - no one else has a $10M+ deal.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's reality. The AFL offer ambassador payments to key players of new franchises.

I heard Lynch was offered a massive ambassador payment. I'd say the AFL couldn't afford to let him leave.

CaptainChardonnay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2009
In the shadows of the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Sure, but that doesn't change my original post that Buddy is on the biggest contract deal - no one else has a $10M+ deal.

Had. Had. He know has a 6 year contract worth $6.6m. Pretty much league standard nowadays for all the big names.

No doubt it was a massive contract. Whilst I'm confident he'll go the distance, even the biggest optimist would agree that the last 2 years are probably going to be touch and go. But the reality is now, he's just one of an ever growing group of players on that sort of coin. 4 or 5 this year, 7 or 8 next. By the time it gets to years 8, 9 & 10, there will be at least a player at every club on $1m+ per season.

It's a good point and Tom is a bit of an introvert so that's a factor. Could you imagine the amount of pressure on you week-to-week if you were playing for Collingwood on a $1.5-2 million a year deal?

I'm just relaying what I heard.

As for not already signing, with the way the system works now with free agency you barely see any big name players re-signing before mid-season and it's because the player managers are still trying to extract the best deal they possibly can. It's just how it works these days and isn't necessarily an indication that the player wants to leave.

I guess the point of difference is that he's the captain, and therefore should be doing his best to avoid that media landscape. With that said I'd be staggered if he leaves, I could see him approaching $2M a year at the Gold Coast with the AFL helping out a bit...

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I guess the point of difference is that he's the captain, and therefore should be doing his best to avoid that media landscape. With that said I'd be staggered if he leaves, I could see him approaching $2M a year at the Gold Coast with the AFL helping out a bit...
To be completely honest, he's not a good media performer and that would be expected of him on a regular basis if he moved to a Melbourne-based club. You look at third party deals he would get down in Victoria and they would include media appearances like The Footy Show but again, he doesn't really have the personality for that IMO. Compare that to a guy like Dangerfield who, despite not being on a huge salary with Geelong, more than makes up for it with his third party deals/media commitments. On the flip side, if Lynchy stays with the Suns he can get a big salary from the Suns and have it topped up with ambassadorial money from the AFL which makes up for the lack of third party/media opportunities in Queensland AND he doesn't have to get involved in the media too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back