News Tom Lynch - RFA, Captaincy Rescinded

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
I will add to this list as the season goes on and the idiots become more abundant. Just remember, mods decision is final. If you at all think that your post could be taken in a negative light, just don't. You will get infracted/banned

What is allowed:

Opposition supporters

Reasonable trade ideas

What is NOT allowed:

Rumours that come from your 'secret' source. If you can't quote them and who it is, don't say it!

Personal abuse of players, fans, staff, anyone really.

Bashing of our club

Posts that begin with "I'm not here to troll, but....."

Time to place your bets.

I reckon he'll sign on with us on a bumper 5 year deal.

What's bumper? Hard to see him getting the money he could command in Melbourne. Maybe about 8.75m? 1.75 a season.

I hope if he does sign its long term. He is either here and the face of the club, or he isn't. None of this one or two year s**t

What's bumper? Hard to see him getting the money he could command in Melbourne. Maybe about 8.75m? 1.75 a season.

I hope if he does sign its long term. He is either here and the face of the club, or he isn't. None of this one or two year s**t
Do you reckon May is gone then? Genuine question.

We can surely fit that into our cap though? Where else is the money going??? May, Weller, Swallow maybe... who else is on big coin? Lyons and Young might be on a bit? Barlow too... that'd have to round us out?

Do you reckon May is gone then? Genuine question.

We can surely fit that into our cap though? Where else is the money going??? May, Weller, Swallow maybe... who else is on big coin? Lyons and Young might be on a bit? Barlow too... that'd have to round us out?

I think this is the genuine wait and see year. Transition year. I think we either keep both or lose both.

If by August they have not extended, we are in for a horrid time. I could only hope Maysie asks to get traded this year so we get something for him :p

Honestly not worried. Unless we get the spoon. His GF just moved back to the coast and will want to stick around.

He better start playing like a million dollar forward if he wants that much because there are plenty of 2 goal a game forwards available for much, much less. In fact, if Lynch gets injured, is the forward line going to look terrible with Day and 2MP stepping up? Lynchy might even be in line to get dropped if Day is kicking bags in the NEAFL and Wright keeps improving at such a rapid rate.

Reasons that he could improve that don't involve contract or captaincy are if he has regained full fitness and starts to regularly beat his opponents, as he seemed to be anchored to the ground and got worse as the season progressed.

Reasons he might regress are that captaincy was part of the reason for his regression last year and that he isn't mentally tough enough to carry co-captaincy or constant media speculation.

There are arguments against both those positions given he was injured last year and is injury free now, although I'm yet to truly see mental fortitude as one his key strengths and it will take a big shift in maturity to see him overcome the media crapstorm coming his way.

Lynch already in $1 million range

1517388188737.jpg

Gold Coast's Tom Lynch is the hottest free agent this season. Photo: AAP
Financial terms are expected to have little influence on the massive decision facing Gold Coast superstar and free agent Tom Lynch, who is already being paid close to a million dollars in 2018.

Lynch is assured of being one of the highest-paid players in the game and a deal comfortably exceeding his current deal after this year, regardless of whether he returns home to a Victorian club in 2019 or remains with the Suns under new coach Stuart Dew and a revamped football department.

Given that the Suns are already paying Lynch close to a million dollars this year, well-placed sources say the struggling club will be in a good position to increase their offer well beyond the $1 million mark and even to match whatever offers come to their co-captain as a restricted free agent from rival clubs.

There is also the possibility of the AFL paying Lynch to be an ambassador in Queensland – a marketing arrangement similar to Gary Ablett's former arrangement.

1517388188737.jpg

Gary Ablett enjoyed an ambassador marketing arrangement at the Suns. Photo: AAP
But, despite AFL boss Gillon McLachlan having admitted this kind of third-party AFL deal was a chance, it is unclear whether the AFL would be prepared to be as generous with Lynch as it was with other "developing state" ambassadors, including Ablett and the ill-fated Karmichael Hunt.

Lynch has not met other clubs and his management has not yet fielded any offers from any parties – including the Suns.

Rather than dollars, the key driver of the Lynch decision is expected to be whether the Suns can show sufficient improvement and competitiveness to persuade the powerhouse key forward to stay.

Richmond and Hawthorn head the clubs with a keen interest in Lynch, with Collingwood also expected to bid for the key forward, who is clearly the most prized of the free agents in 2018 and whose decision shapes as the most significant in the competition.

But none of the clubs – and especially the Tigers, who have a tight salary cap following the re-signing of Dustin Martin – are expected to offer Lynch a deal that the Suns couldn't match.

The Suns and the Lynch camp are already mindful that the Suns do not play at their home ground Metricon Stadium until round 11 and could therefore struggle for wins early onand that Lynch may not be able to make his call early in the season as a result.

One close observer, who knows Lynch, said that the player was "looking for reasons to stay, rather than reasons to go".

Gold Coast's likely ladder position is another factor in the Lynch situation, since, under the rules, the Suns would receive a first-round pick immediately after their choice and that, for example, if they finished last, they would receive pick No.2 for him in free-agency compensation – a strong starting position in any negotiation should he choose to leave.

There has already been much speculation among rival clubs that Lynch would fetch more than $1.5million – clearly making him the highest-paid player in the competition – if he desired.

Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans could not be reached for comment on the Lynch situation.

1517388188737.jpg

Financial terms are expected to have little influence on the massive decision facing Gold Coast superstar and free agent Tom Lynch, who is already being paid close to a million dollars in 2018.

Lynch is assured of being one of the highest-paid players in the game and a deal comfortably exceeding his current deal after this year, regardless of whether he returns home to a Victorian club in 2019 or remains with the Suns under new coach Stuart Dew and a revamped football department.

Given that the Suns are already paying Lynch close to a million dollars this year, well-placed sources say the struggling club will be in a good position to increase their offer well beyond the $1 million mark and even to match whatever offers come to their co-captain as a restricted free agent from rival clubs.

There is also the possibility of the AFL paying Lynch to be an ambassador in Queensland – a marketing arrangement similar to Gary Ablett's former arrangement.

1517388188737.jpg

But, despite AFL boss Gillon McLachlan having admitted this kind of third-party AFL deal was a chance, it is unclear whether the AFL would be prepared to be as generous with Lynch as it was with other "developing state" ambassadors, including Ablett and the ill-fated Karmichael Hunt.

Lynch has not met other clubs and his management has not yet fielded any offers from any parties – including the Suns.

Rather than dollars, the key driver of the Lynch decision is expected to be whether the Suns can show sufficient improvement and competitiveness to persuade the powerhouse key forward to stay.

Richmond and Hawthorn head the clubs with a keen interest in Lynch, with Collingwood also expected to bid for the key forward, who is clearly the most prized of the free agents in 2018 and whose decision shapes as the most significant in the competition.

But none of the clubs – and especially the Tigers, who have a tight salary cap following the re-signing of Dustin Martin – are expected to offer Lynch a deal that the Suns couldn't match.

The Suns and the Lynch camp are already mindful that the Suns do not play at their home ground Metricon Stadium until round 11 and could therefore struggle for wins early onand that Lynch may not be able to make his call early in the season as a result.

One close observer, who knows Lynch, said that the player was "looking for reasons to stay, rather than reasons to go".

Gold Coast's likely ladder position is another factor in the Lynch situation, since, under the rules, the Suns would receive a first-round pick immediately after their choice and that, for example, if they finished last, they would receive pick No.2 for him in free-agency compensation – a strong starting position in any negotiation should he choose to leave.

There has already been much speculation among rival clubs that Lynch would fetch more than $1.5million – clearly making him the highest-paid player in the competition – if he desired.

Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans could not be reached for comment on the Lynch situation.
I should write for this lot.

He better start playing like a million dollar forward if he wants that much because there are plenty of 2 goal a game forwards available for much, much less. In fact, if Lynch gets injured, is the forward line going to look terrible with Day and 2MP stepping up? Lynchy might even be in line to get dropped if Day is kicking bags in the NEAFL and Wright keeps improving at such a rapid rate.

Reasons that he could improve that don't involve contract or captaincy are if he has regained full fitness and starts to regularly beat his opponents, as he seemed to be anchored to the ground and got worse as the season progressed.

Reasons he might regress are that captaincy was part of the reason for his regression last year and that he isn't mentally tough enough to carry co-captaincy or constant media speculation.

There are arguments against both those positions given he was injured last year and is injury free now, although I'm yet to truly see mental fortitude as one his key strengths and it will take a big shift in maturity to see him overcome the media crapstorm coming his way.
why are you suggesting that Lynch may be dropped? so you really believe that?

The fact that Lynchy played out most of the season rather than going in for surgery like many of his teammates while he was basically on one leg and wasn't even training towards the back end of the season, and failed to complain or use the injury as an excuse all the while copping criticism for his poor (for his standards) form, and still managed a decent number of goals in such a s**t show shows how committed to the club he has been (or how poorly Rocket managed him). For most of the year he was one of a small handful of players out there you could genuinely say cared for and played for the team.

As for him staying or going, I won't be dissapointed either way. Either we show signs of improvements, whether that be wins, looking like a team ready to tear the competition apart in the next few years, or whatever and he commits, or we go backwards/fail to show the improvement necessary, in which case I can't blame him. He has one crack at a footy career and he will have spent 8 seasons up here with not much to show for it, and if we fail massively this year then we don't deserve to keep wasting his career. (I suspect I may be in the minority with this opinion). The guy has been 100% on board since the start while watching some of those flogs jump off the train and go home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that Lynchy played out most of the season rather than going in for surgery like many of his teammates while he was basically on one leg and wasn't even training towards the back end of the season, and failed to complain or use the injury as an excuse all the while copping criticism for his poor (for his standards) form, and still managed a decent number of goals in such a s**t show shows how committed to the club he has been (or how poorly Rocket managed him). For most of the year he was one of a small handful of players out there you could genuinely say cared for and played for the team.

As for him staying or going, I won't be dissapointed either way. Either we show signs of improvements, whether that be wins, looking like a team ready to tear the competition apart in the next few years, or whatever and he commits, or we go backwards/fail to show the improvement necessary, in which case I can't blame him. He has one crack at a footy career and he will have spent 8 seasons up here with not much to show for it, and if we fail massively this year then we don't deserve to keep wasting his career. (I suspect I may be in the minority with this opinion). The guy has been 100% on board since the start while watching some of those flogs jump off the train and go home.
I completely understand the logic behind this opinion.

Footy, to me, is tribal. Passion is what makes the game so great, and that passion is born out of tribalism. This line of thinking (supporting players leaving) whilst logical, actually diminishes the tribalism.

So whilst it's wildly illogical and silly, I love him and hope he stays. If he leaves - I'll hate his guts forever.

The injury hampered his ability to get on his bike and run opponents into the ground and also affected his power when jumping for a mark. Day was a massive loss too as he'd make opposition defenders accountable and allow Lynchy more one on one contests.
He'll hit back hard this year and I have no doubt that he'll stay. The little weirdo leaving also allows him to take ownership of the team with May.

The injury hampered his ability to get on his bike and run opponents into the ground and also affected his power when jumping for a mark. Day was a massive loss too as he'd make opposition defenders accountable and allow Lynchy more one on one contests.
He'll hit back hard this year and I have no doubt that he'll stay. The little weirdo leaving also allows him to take ownership of the team with May.

Yeah the hampered him badly in the back end last year but he still stuck at it . Biggest thing that went out of his game in the end was his contested marking , went from no 1 in the game to just a normal forward in this regard , a fully fit lynchy should have this back this year , along with 2mp who enters his 4 th year , this is the year lynch exploded kicking 50 plus , 2 firing key forwards will be impossible to cover if we can get it down there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1517388188737.jpg

1517388188737.jpg

Regardless of his current form it isnt going to be a small deal of 3-5 years at 1.5 a year. It would likely require a rival club to offer him a 10 year deal worth about 20 million. Otherwise gold coast will match and tommy gives us another 2 years to prove our worth.

Regardless of his current form it isnt going to be a small deal of 3-5 years at 1.5 a year. It would likely require a rival club to offer him a 10 year deal worth about 20 million. Otherwise gold coast will match and tommy gives us another 2 years to prove our worth.
is he a RFA? how does that work? can we match?

is he a RFA? how does that work? can we match?
If he is being paid around a million dollars this year by the Suns then he is restricted.

The minimum deal for a free agent moving to a new club is a two year contract.

A club seeking to get Lynch's services would be required to show that they can make the payments under the cap. If Gold Coast wanted to match that offer it must match the outline terms (length and total dollar value) in it's own cap but can distribute that however it likes.

Lynch isn't required to accept the Gold Coast matched offer, pushing the deal to a either a trade or a Lynch can nominate for the draft with his contract terms named. Gold Coast would be able to select him here under the matched offer deal he previously turned down but it would burn an early draft pick.

Should Lynch be offered a deal Gold Coast is not able to match then he leaves to the new club and Gold Coast's work during the season to pressure the AFL to allow special dispensation for extreme offers to get greater compensation pays off. Not because the AFL grant Gold Coast a better compensation pick, but they move their planned (hypothetical) priority pick from end of 1st round into before the 1st round.

If Gold Coast finished 18th that would mean:
Pick #1 - Priority pick
Pick #2 - Gold Coast pick
Pick #3 - Free Agent Compensation pick (Lynch)
Pick #6-12 - West Coast 1st round pick

I don't think there is a price that would make losing Lynch better but that would be a strong hand by which to replace him with high level talent immediately.

---------

Trade Wise, I think it all depends on the location. If that club needs to sell one of their current players to get trade currency then the third party gets involved.

Haha, huge applause for this nickname "the little weirdo"! Just apt to the max... I never thought i would hear a better monika than "cockface" but this has topped it..
I move that the Suns player formally known as Gary Ablett be only known on this board as "the little weirdo" for ever and a day..
Much kudos SOA.. A poster that just keeps giving!

Thoughts ?

1.5-2 million a year for Lynch or another 3 Lyons/Barlow type players

Thoughts ?

1.5-2 million a year for Lynch or another 3 Lyons/Barlow type players

Personally if paying 1 player means you can’t pay others to get a balanced team I would go for the 3. Lynch deserves to get paid and I hope a deal gets done but if someone offers him stupid money then he would go with my blessing.

An Elite key forward is handy don't get me wrong, but totally not mandatory to win a premiership -refer WB, Rich, WCE, Geel most recent premierships(assuming we a happy to label Lynch as Elite - if he plays like last year he's in the average to above average bracket for mine.) Personally I'd go the high draft picks and cost saving every time.

An Elite key forward is handy don't get me wrong, but totally not mandatory to win a premiership -refer WB, Rich, WCE, Geel most recent premierships(assuming we a happy to label Lynch as Elite - if he plays like last year he's in the average to above average bracket for mine.) Personally I'd go the high draft picks and cost saving every time.
These arguments make sense except for the case for continuity...
We need to keep May and Lynch to lead this mob to glory.. noone has been through the trials and tribulations that these two have.. now the little wierdo has left they can own this team categorically and demand absolute effort... they will both now command huge respect and must be followed to the promised land... if one or both go.. we may as well shut up shop!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back