News Tom Lynch - RFA, Captaincy Rescinded

Remove this Banner Ad

In a vacuum, losing Lynch for a couple of high draft picks and saving some $ to pay other players is sensible.

But there is no such vacuum when you have had a plethora of high picks in the last 8 drafts, are already the youngest team int he comp, and struggle to get established players to move to your club.

Hey Garry Lyon, here is the real question. Who would we be spending those $ on?
My answer = players already at the club! Would need to pay over overs to keep a few of them around. Too easy to jump ship to a more successful club playing in front of bigger crowds and with a lot less travel.

An Elite key forward is handy don't get me wrong, but totally not mandatory to win a premiership -refer WB, Rich, WCE, Geel most recent premierships(assuming we a happy to label Lynch as Elite - if he plays like last year he's in the average to above average bracket for mine.) Personally I'd go the high draft picks and cost saving every time.

If we finish in the bottom 3 but we win a few games and maybe the AFL will give Lynch the ambassador cash to keep him and give us an end of 1st rd priority pick to try to help us out

In a vacuum, losing Lynch for a couple of high draft picks and saving some $ to pay other players is sensible.

But there is no such vacuum when you have had a plethora of high picks in the last 8 drafts, are already the youngest team int he comp, and struggle to get established players to move to your club.

Hey Garry Lyon, here is the real question. Who would we be spending those $ on?
My answer = players already at the club! Would need to pay over overs to keep a few of them around. Too easy to jump ship to a more successful club playing in front of bigger crowds and with a lot less travel.
Good point would also like to point out the 3 mentioned players that we could supposedly pay would also come at a higher cost in the interest of retaining due to the club looking bleak. If lynch stayed those said players may come 50-100k cheaper as the future of the club is more positive then a version without lynch.

In the end its all subjective and the suns need to do everything in their power to keep star players here for the sake of the club culture and community moral as well.

These arguments make sense except for the case for continuity...
We need to keep May and Lynch to lead this mob to glory.. noone has been through the trials and tribulations that these two have.. now the little wierdo has left they can own this team categorically and demand absolute effort... they will both now command huge respect and must be followed to the promised land... if one or both go.. we may as well shut up shop!

Most of the time I love your posts GD but I can’t go along with our club being reliant on one or two players.
If we have to go through more adversity so be it.
There will come a time when we produce some home grown champions.

I think we're forgetting just how go Lynch is at his best. I hope he reminds us of this because we need it.
How long do you look at what a player was at his best. not saying it is/will be the case with lynch but theres plenty of players who dominate for one of two seasons and then never reach those heights again - if they get lucky they cash in on big contracts before people realise they've declined.
examples i can think of off the top of my head: Mark Jamar, Lobbe(the PA one), Ballantyne + Mayne from Freo

How long do you look at what a player was at his best. not saying it is/will be the case with lynch but theres plenty of players who dominate for one of two seasons and then never reach those heights again - if they get lucky they cash in on big contracts before people realise they've declined.
examples i can think of off the top of my head: Mark Jamar, Lobbe(the PA one), Ballantyne + Mayne from Freo
Lynch isn't Mark Jamar. It was only just last season he kicked 7 goals in a game and he had a number of good performances before he got injured and teams were double/triple teaming him. With Wright and even Day in that forward line Lynch will be able to get back to form. Theres something about him that's different to other forwards.

Lynch isn't Mark Jamar. It was only just last season he kicked 7 goals in a game and he had a number of good performances before he got injured and teams were double/triple teaming him. With Wright and even Day in that forward line Lynch will be able to get back to form. Theres something about him that's different to other forwards.
All i mean, is The AFL world didn't realise Mark Jamar was Mark Jamar until 3 seasons later (when he'd had three underwhelming seasons, and the commentators stopped referring to him as an 'All-Australian Ruckman')

why are you suggesting that Lynch may be dropped? so you really believe that?
You aren't very bright, are ya? Let me explain what a hypothetical is. You see, the future holds all sorts of possible outcomes, with some being more or less likely than others. Let's talk about Tom Lynch. Will he kick 50 goals? Possibly, if he plays at least as well as 2017, gets up for every game, and kicks his 2017 goals average per game. Probably if he consistently plays to 2016 form when he kicked an average of exactly 3 goals a game for every game of the season. So you see that there are factors that drive probability up and possibility down. Will Dew play a 3 tall forward line? If so, there's room for all 3 players in the same combo that brought signs of success in 2016 and, therefore, virtually no chance that Lynch would be left out of the side while 3 talls remains the preferred options.
However, what if Dew decides not to deploy 3 tall forwards, or changes his tactics because Aaron Young starts getting 15 touches a game across half forward and draws the opponent's 3rd key defender? And, as I previously hypothesised, what if Sam Day is playing lights out footy in the NEAFL and 2MP continues to improve at a rate that shows faster progression and a higher ceiling than even Lynch, while the captain has a regression under the all the pressure he's under.
So you see, the variables could as easily line up in Lynchy's favour where he has the best chance of getting back to his best form, but there are also possible disasters in his future. Low probability of him being dropped, yet if things go sour for him then it can't be ruled out entirely.

Surprised to see so many Suns supporters content with Lynch packing his bags. He has definitely been the club's second best player (behind Ablett obviously) and the chances of the club stumbling upon another key forward of Lynch's quality in the next 5-10 years seems unlikely IMO. Think about the forwards they've drafted that never made it. A guy like Daniel Gorringe was taken with a top 10 pick and look what happened. Then you have a guy like Sam Day who was taken with pick 3 but will probably never reach Lynch's standard.

I think you really have to appreciate a high-level key forward when you have one.

if he plays like last year he's in the average to above average bracket for mine.

Last year he was carrying a hampering injury that restricted him plus add being double tagged most games with no help and protection from team mates doesn’t help and having a game plan that had him spend a lot of time at the other end of the ground

give us an end of 1st rd priority pick to try to help us out

We don’t deserve or really need a priority pick imo

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last year he was carrying a hampering injury that restricted him plus add being double tagged most games with no help and protection from team mates doesn’t help and having a game plan that had him spend a lot of time at the other end of the ground
AND he still managed 44 goals in 19 games. Played injured, very rarely received good service through the midfield and getting double/tripled teamed EVERY game because virtually none of his teammates provided protection/another option to draw the double teaming opponent. As you said, he also often spent time in the midfield/backline so a return of 44 goals under those conditions is nothing to sneeze at. To put it in perspective, Buddy managed 69 goals and won the Coleman with that effort.

Lynch is very good one-on-one but with the way the team has played in recent years, particularly in 2017, he is rarely put in a position to succeed. Despite the double/triple teaming, he often finds a way to crumb the ball to the ground and that's where the small forwards need to be scooping up the ball and snapping goals from 10/15 metres out, but they were MIA.

Tom Lynch didn't do a lot wrong last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who has ever deserved a priority pick
I'd say in the greater scheme of things we're more deserving than most if we lose our Captain and marquee player
We just lost our captain and marquee player. The AFL gave Geelong pick #19 for a forward pocket more famous for YouTube videos feauturing him kicking footies into wheelie bins than anything he's really achieved on the field, all because the Cats needed a top pick to compensate the Suns for Gaz. Not fair compensation for Motlop, who produced the same number of goals in 23 games as Brandon Matera kicked in 10, but him walking out in Free Agency didn't cost Port anything aside from around $500K a year which neither the Cats would match nor the Suns be able to compete with.
However, the trade should be viewed in the context of a three way deal with AFL compensation. Port are happy with bringing in a player without losing draft position or a player (although the Young trade to the Suns earnt them a future 4th rounder). Geelong got Gaz, essentially for Motlop. The Suns lost their marquee player and gained a first round pick.

We just lost our captain and marquee player. The AFL gave Geelong pick #19 for a forward pocket more famous for YouTube videos feauturing him kicking footies into wheelie bins than anything he's really achieved on the field, all because the Cats needed a top pick to compensate the Suns for Gaz. Not fair compensation for Motlop, who produced the same number of goals in 23 games as Brandon Matera kicked in 10, but him walking out in Free Agency didn't cost Port anything aside from around $500K a year which neither the Cats would match nor the Suns be able to compete with.
However, the trade should be viewed in the context of a three way deal with AFL compensation. Port are happy with bringing in a player without losing draft position or a player (although the Young trade to the Suns earnt them a future 4th rounder). Geelong got Gaz, essentially for Motlop. The Suns lost their marquee player and gained a first round pick.

You really think gaz is more famous for kicking footies in wheelie bins than all his on field achievements? Do you watch footy?

The AFL gave Geelong pick #19 for a forward pocket more famous for YouTube videos feauturing him kicking footies into wheelie bins than anything he's really achieved on the field
Hoooooooooly s**t. I’d love to hear what Geelong/GWS supporters thought of this.
How incredibly exaggerated and incorrect. He’s a douchebag but he’s had one hell of a career.

Hoooooooooly s**t. I’d love to hear what Geelong/GWS supporters thought of this.
How incredibly exaggerated and incorrect. He’s a douchebag but he’s had one hell of a career.

Isn’t 17er referring to Motlop? You are thinking of Steve Johnson. I don’t think that’s who 17er is talking about there.

I don’t want you two to have another stoush, others might find it entertaining but I don’t. I want peace and love in the beautiful city.

Isn’t 17er referring to Motlop? You are thinking of Steve Johnson. I don’t think that’s who 17er is talking about there.

I don’t want you two to have another stoush, others might find it entertaining but I don’t. I want peace and love in the beautiful city.

Weller Over Dew and I are referring to a video that came out few years ago of gaz and Steve j kicking footies into wheelie bins, that’s where we got confused

neither do I. I've stopped retaliating. I thought he was referring to Stevie J though? like SaadyArmy - I do apologise if he wasn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back