News Tom Lynch - RFA, Captaincy Rescinded

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that really pissed me off is when Tom said “I see where we are half way through the season” Umm...We don’t play at Metricon until Rnd 11. Don’t get me wrong, I hope we win most of those games. I think we need to be realistic here...if we do offer Lynch a 7yr/1ml Plus a season and he STILL WALKS!! Hope he does a F$&KING KNEE. We NEED HIM!!

Gold Coast Suns reportedly prepared to offer Tom Lynch up to $10 million over seven seasons

GOLD Coast is set to make its intentions boldly clear to star forward Tom Lynch, with the Suns reportedly prepared to offer a mammoth seven-year deal on Lance Franklin-like dollars to keep him up north.
It comes as Lynch’s former captain and superstar teammate Gary Ablett says he hopes the star forward opts to stay with the Suns for next year and beyond.

Lynch, uncontracted beyond 2018, looms as the hottest free agency target in the AFL at season’s end, with big Victorian clubs such as Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond all likely to offer significant deals in an attempt to entice the key goalkicker home to his native state of Victoria. Magpies football manager Geoff Walsh last week hinted his club “would love” a player like Lynch.

But with only a handful of middle-tier players out of contract at season’s end — much-improved on-baller Aaron Hall is arguably the biggest name of that group — Gold Coast is well placed financially to make a big play for Lynch, who has developed into one of the game’s best forwards at the age of just 25.

While it’s understood no official offer has been made yet, the Suns are reportedly prepared to offer Lynch a contract as big as $1.5 million per year over seven seasons — a contract that would trump Franklin’s previously-unprecedented nine-year deal.

Reporter Jon Ralph, who broke the Lynch development for the Herald Sun, told Fox Sports News the Suns were “already all-in” for Tom Lynch but that they would have to offer him a contract with a long tenure to keep him

“That’s like what it’s going to take (to keep Lynch), whether he goes or stays,” Ralph told AFL Tonight.

“It took Richmond a year to realise that they needed to offer (Dustin Martin) seven years, instead of four or five years at $800,000. But it’s hard to see how Tom Lynch isn’t footy’s second $10 million man.”

“That could be seven years at $1.3 million to $1.5 million — and then the AFL puts in over the top with an ambassadorship.”

Ablett, who left Gold Coast to return to the Cats late last year, told The Ageit was “hard to say” Lynch would stay with the Suns.

But Ablett added that Lynch’s decision could be heavily influenced by the Suns’ on-field results this year.

“You would hope (Lynch stays). But again, it comes back to when you’re winning football games it makes things a lot easier around a football club because I think when you’re not winning games you start to question the way you’re going about things,” Ablett told The Age.

“And it’s not that you’re necessarily going about things the wrong way, it just might mean that you need to make a few small changes here and there.

“So you know, I think it’s important, I feel when I left that (the Suns) were heading in the right direction. They had a lot of great people around the football club. There was a lot of hard work invested by a lot of people and I’m really hoping they can win some footy games this year and play some fine footy, it’d be really great to see.”

While the Suns are likely make an early offer to Lynch, it’s more likely that he’ll make a call later in the year, perhaps as late as Round 23.

New Suns coach Stuart Dew recently told Fox Footy that the club was “comfortable” with the contract situation and that Lynch remained “heavily invested” in the Suns.

“He’s going to make that call at the end of the year, or at some stage. But he’s invested, no question,” Dew told Fox Footy.

“Throughout trade week, training, every day you can see he’s invested. Body language, you can’t hide, when you see the players everyday you can’t hide whether you’re

invested or not.

“What I am clear on, he’s invested in the Gold Coast Suns this year.”

With Metricon Stadium out of action due to the Commonwealth Games, the Suns have a horror start to their 2018 campaign, travelling to Perth (twice), Ballarat and China across the first 10 rounds.

“If he stays, I think he’s football’s most loyal man since maybe Chris Grant,” Ralph said.

Let him do what he wants to do.
Yea it’ll be sad to see him go but poor management to begin with has caused the issues we are having.
We should have had better facilities after the first season to begin.
Probably should have recruited differently too but what’s done is done.

If Lynch stays it'll be more from the environment and culture fostered by Dew, not the green.

Dew looks all class, people want to be around natural leaders this speaks more than money and I have every bit of faith Dew will be one of the best.

If Lynch stays it'll be more from the environment and culture fostered by Dew, not the green.

Dew looks all class, people want to be around natural leaders this speaks more than money and I have every bit of faith Dew will be one of the best.

Fagan has had that effect on the Lions culture. Like night and day compared to the Voss/Leppa era.

Does anyone else find the term "invested" in the club, which is being constantly being bandied around by Dew, jarring and shouldn't it be "vested".......or am I incorrect

If Lynch has been offered $1.5 million a year for 7 years and his immediate reaction is anything other than “yeah baby where do I sign and thank you very much” than frankly I don’t really want him at the club anymore.
He has no reason to not sign, liked by teammates, liked by fans, given Captaincy, living in place that suits his lifestyle and personal situation,offered crazy money.
If he hasn’t been made an offer yet than I withdraw those comments.

If Lynch has been offered $1.5 million a year for 7 years and his immediate reaction is anything other than “yeah baby where do I sign and thank you very much” than frankly I don’t really want him at the club anymore.
He has no reason to not sign, liked by teammates, liked by fans, given Captaincy, living in place that suits his lifestyle and personal situation,offered crazy money.
If he hasn’t been made an offer yet than I withdraw those comments.

In money terms the one thing that might make him think would be $$ he could make through Eddie and a contract with The Footy Show. Would the money he makes as an ambassador cancel that out?

Does anyone else find the term "invested" in the club, which is being constantly being bandied around by Dew, jarring and shouldn't it be "vested".......or am I incorrect
I think vested refers to the now defunct Sub :)

Seriously I believe you are correct that vested it the right term

I think invested is correct in this setting- as in "to be fully invested"
Vest as a verb is odd- but doesn't mean you've taken an interest or fully involved- usually that you're a Priest putting on the ceremonial garb
You may be thinking of vested interest which is another thing again?
Vested in that setting is actually an adverb (I think)

I think invested is correct in this setting- as in "to be fully invested"
Vest as a verb is odd- but doesn't mean you've taken an interest or fully involved- usually that you're a Priest putting on the ceremonial garb
You may be thinking of vested interest which is another thing again?
Vested in that setting is actually an adverb (I think)
Where's 17er when you need him?

We're not offering him $10 mil over 7 years. That's insane money. We're not paying him on average over $1.4 mil a year... He'd be the highest paid player in the whole AFL by a country mile (including Ambassador money), and I'd seriously rate our list management as the worst in the league if we offered a contract like that - otherwise we'd be effectively stuffed if we're hoping to hold onto our younger high draft picks (seriously, we have four top 10 draft picks who will reach free agency age - 25 - at the same time, and we'll be placed over a barrel if all our coin is spent on one player). We're already in a position where we'll have to heavily front-load the contract for it to work, but that comes with risks in itself - it wasn't all that long ago we front loaded the hell out of Ablett's contract and look how that went.

Fagan has had that effect on the Lions culture. Like night and day compared to the Voss/Leppa era.
OT, but gee I'd love to have this conversation in five years.
it may not seem like it on the surface, but I reckon Fagan is full of hot air. I just cannot see you scum making the finals under his tenure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Tyrion Lannister would say "They mean the same thing."

Thurls, I agree that they are jarring words and somewhat weaselly, like "going forward" and "being accountable". If Lynch gets $1.5M plus Ambassadorial moolah, he could give half of it back to the club and be a vested partner AND invested in the club.

At that price tag compared to 2 first round picks and some salary cap space, I would say goodbye to Lynch in a heartbeat. Going by his performance on Sunday, I don't even know if he's our best option up front if Day and Wright are his competition and only 2 can play.

I actually went looking up old articles googling "Gary Ablett Suns invested" to see if they were using the same terminology.

Apparently last year Ablett was "fully committed" ... read into that what you will...

Maybe committing to buy something means that you have signed the contract to buy a house but haven't handed the dough over yet, whereas being invested means it's a done deal :think:

OT, but gee I'd love to have this conversation in five years.
it may not seem like it on the surface, but I reckon Fagan is full of hot air. I just cannot see you scum making the finals under his tenure.

We'll see, think we're a finals team in 2020

As Tyrion Lannister would say "They mean the same thing."

Thurls, I agree that they are jarring words and somewhat weaselly, like "going forward" and "being accountable". If Lynch gets $1.5M plus Ambassadorial moolah, he could give half of it back to the club and be a vested partner AND invested in the club.

At that price tag compared to 2 first round picks and some salary cap space, I would say goodbye to Lynch in a heartbeat. Going by his performance on Sunday, I don't even know if he's our best option up front if Day and Wright are his competition and only 2 can play.

Yeah wouldn't be happy either. If he leaves you draft Lukosius and Rankine and hope you can keep them

We're not offering him $10 mil over 7 years. That's insane money. We're not paying him on average over $1.4 mil a year... He'd be the highest paid player in the whole AFL by a country mile (including Ambassador money), and I'd seriously rate our list management as the worst in the league if we offered a contract like that - otherwise we'd be effectively stuffed if we're hoping to hold onto our younger high draft picks (seriously, we have four top 10 draft picks who will reach free agency age - 25 - at the same time, and we'll be placed over a barrel if all our coin is spent on one player). We're already in a position where we'll have to heavily front-load the contract for it to work, but that comes with risks in itself - it wasn't all that long ago we front loaded the hell out of Ablett's contract and look how that went.

I'm not going to make any judgements after 1 game but Weller on a reported $800k a year for 5 years... compare that to other players like say Toby Greene on the same money and in the next few years we might have to revisit not only the validity of the trade but the money paid as part of the contract.

I'm not going to make any judgements after 1 game but Weller on a reported $800k a year for 5 years... compare that to other players like say Toby Greene on the same money and in the next few years we might have to revisit not only the validity of the trade but the money paid as part of the contract.
sounds like you have already made a judgement though aye

Another speculation had Weller on $450k + $150k ambassador.

When I "invest" I'm usually putting my money on the line. Hope we are offering enough for Tom to do likewise...

If we can develop that culture that Sydney have put together where if someone goes down another person can take his place.

IF Lynch was to leave Wright and Day take his place. Richmond showed that you only need 1 key forward to make a serious play for finals. Just need to develop that midfield more.

Another speculation had Weller on $450k + $150k ambassador.

That would sound like a more reasonable figure

I agree. To put this in perspective, look at these figures:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-16/afl-millionaires-club-swells-to-six-players

In 2016, there were only 2 players being paid over 1.2 million dollars for that year.

With the above figures in mind, $10,000,000 over 7 years is an insane amount of money in comparison to the rest of the league. I would also be very sceptical of any speculation saying that Weller is being paid $800,000 a year when a figure like that would make him one of the highest-paid players, too (comfortably in the current 'Top 20' ). Mind you, I'd more readily believe Weller being paid that much - it's at least somewhat conceivable, though quite a lot for a midfielder who's yet to make a real name for himself - as opposed to Lynch being offered the aforementioned insane deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back