Remove this Banner Ad

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
As we approach R1 and the challenges of 2016, I was turning my mind to players who will be key in our push to finals.

No doubt there is plenty of love around for The Chief, but I wanted to take that a bit further looking at his 2015 and how important he has become.

As a pure 3rd forward he contributed a more than handy 32 goals, but then also led the AFL in goal assists with 30. So a direct haul of 62 goals is great effort from a third tall.

As we know he does even more than that, he has a massive engine and gets on his bike to record a third crucial stat. In 2015 he pumped the pill I50 87 times at 3.8pg.

Just to put that into greater perspective it ranked him at no 30 in the AFL for I50 AND he was the only player in the top 30 who was not a pure midfielder. In terms of the AFC he was second only to PD in this stat.

That tells me that there is not a more crucial player to our side that occupies the space between wing and the goal square. He is working his butt off to get up the ground, win possession then get it into our 50, then following it in and either scoring or creating a score - bloody amazing!!!

The best news of all is that The Chief has played just 60 games, and is now entering his absolute prime with his signature on paper with us for the next 3 years.

Chief, you are arguably one of our top 5 most influential players and I absolutely love and appreciate your blue collar work. Can't wait for an even bigger 2016.

Brilliant player IMO, I hope he can improve his kicking, that's his only let down.. His field kicking can sometimes be really bad. With the additional skills training this pre season Lynch could become even more valuable.

I think his kicking is absolutely underrated. Excellent kick for goal, and with some field kicks he's putting it where a player can run to - except they don't always.

Just following on from the OP to create some further discussion, is top 5 most influential too far?

I think there is a case to argue for that status. It's the dual nature of his game and the extent to which he succeeds in both. He is partially attacking mid, partially third tall forward.

He ranks 2 at the AFC in 2015 for uncontested possessions, as we know he is the "get out" option from half back. Now that's usually another kick away from an I50....so the commentary should go - Crows come away from half back to find Lynch on the wing who then finds Lynch at half forward who pumps it I50 and finds Lynch 30 out from goal !!!

Unbelievable

Just following on from the OP to create some further discussion, is top 5 most influential too far?

I think there is a case to argue for that status. It's the dual nature of his game and the extent to which he succeeds in both. He is partially attacking mid, partially third tall forward.

He ranks 2 at the AFC in 2015 for uncontested possessions, as we know he is the "get out" option from half back. Now that's usually another kick away from an I50....so the commentary should go - Crows come away from half back to find Lynch on the wing who then finds Lynch at half forward who pumps it I50 and finds Lynch 30 out from goal !!!

Unbelievable
No third tall defender can go with him, it'll be interesting to see the GPS numbers that Lynch racks up in a game, I'd say it'll be extremely high.

No third tall defender can go with him, it'll be interesting to see the GPS numbers that Lynch racks up in a game, I'd say it'll be extremely high.
Agree is almost an impossible match up one on one. That's why he finds so much space.

The Chief has always been one of my favourites and picked in my dreamteam. I had been following his career at St Kilda after he went in the first round.
As mentioned, he had a big job to get games with Riewoldt and Kositschki in the team. Great trade by AFC and love his gut running. He is always able to get in space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But yes, a Toast is in order.
Thanks for highlighting his assists and I50 stats...he's even better than I thought.
Has his name in Pen (not pencil) on the team sheet on a HFF, which puts him in our top 7 or 8,
As far as importance, he's on that rung just below Tex Talia Sauce Sloane and Betts
Equal with Smith and maybe 1 or two others.

Love Chief - love him. Hard at it - puts his body in places that are going to hurt - and runs his opponents (and himself sometimes) into the ground for the good of the team. I reckon coaches would love Lynch - his focus is always team first.

Much more damaging than many give him credit for, and he is improving every game.

Could be a smokey for our B&F in coming years.

Love this bloke. He has been in my fantasy dynasty team for a few years now.

I was going mental that day he kicked 10 against Gold Coast, as were a number of my mates!

It was GWS and I know that because RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!

His assists numbers would suggest that his field kicking is actually pretty good.
The issue for him is when he has turned it over in the past, it's bern that awful kick from wing to centre and turning it over in the worst position - almost always goal to the other side. It's so horrible that even though it might only happen a few times, it = a pile of turnovers on here.

Same thing happened to Cheney last week. Immaculate user but turned it over once through the middle and that = a mistake riddled game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back