Free Agency Tom Lynch [moves to Richmond as a Restricted Free Agent]

Will Lynch stay at the Suns?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what the talk about where he's living is relevant honestly. In any case there have been Melbourne, Richmond and Hawthorn players who lived in the Glen Iris/East Malvern area for a while.

Kew is where it is, Tarks, Jono, Rocca, etc are down at the fat penguin at least twice a week.

Oh and it will be Collingwood or stay at GC. No other club is near a discussion. Mark that down.
Marked it down. It reads as rubbish.

Lynch will turn 27 in his first season at his potential new club. You'd expect he would easily command a 5-6 year 6 million dollar deal.

That's a huge price to pay. I don't know if he's worth it

Lynch will turn 27 in his first season at his potential new club. You'd expect he would easily command a 5-6 year 6 million dollar deal.

That's a huge price to pay. I don't know if he's worth it
He turns 26 next october and will play his 1st year as a 26 year old, Easily worth $6 mil over 6 years

He turns 26 next october and will play his 1st year as a 26 year old, Easily worth $6 mil over 6 years
Shhh stop pushing the price up.

He’s over the hill and will be lucky to get a game.

So I take it Malvern East wouldn’t be a great spot to buy if you were intending on playing for the Pies.

I’ve always been mildly fascinated by why anyone would focus property based theories? Dev Smith bought a house in Geelong, now at Essendon. Dayne Beams was renovating a place in Richmond in 2014, now at Brisbane and we have Lynch.

I was also curious about the travel times from Malvern East to both Dingley and the G. What I found was interesting. Going against traffic it’s a 25 min commute to Dingley and a 29 min commute to the G. Or are the Hawky boys sticking to Waverley to make sure Lynch is on board? I’m not sure about others, but I’m not personally making a career decision based on 5 minutes of extra traffic.

FWIW I think he’s gone (unless by some miracle GC turn it around) and there’s two clubs that clearly standout as destinations, Collingwood and Hawthorn. Both have the cap room to accommodate him, the Hawks will have the more enticing selections for a deal and Collingwood the better placed list. Interesting times!

I think looking at where a player buys or develops property is is a pretty flimsy argument. As stated above Devon Smith gets anplace in Geelong and the rumour mill thinksnit means his off to the cats. Players like Lynch are on the big bucks and have likely got multiple properties.

FWIW I think he’s gone (unless by some miracle GC turn it around) and there’s two clubs that clearly standout as destinations, Collingwood and Hawthorn. Both have the cap room to accommodate him, but the Hawks have the better culture, the superior coach and the proven track record of getting a deal done while Collingwood the better draft selections. Interesting times!
Fixed that for you.

FWIW I think he’s gone (unless by some miracle GC turn it around) and there’s two clubs that clearly standout as destinations, Collingwood and Hawthorn. Both have the cap room to accommodate him, but the Hawks have the better culture, the superior coach and the proven track record of getting the deal done and Collingwood the better draft selections. Interesting times!

Fixed that for you.

Want a sig bet on it?

Ask any regular Pies board poster how pessimistic I am toward the club and they’ll resoundingly back it up.

However I know Collingwood have the better list and will finish above Hawthorn in 2018. Thanks largely to Rd 23 2017. Despite having a bottom 2-3 coach league wide they’ve done enough this off-season within the FD to move past Hawthorn!

I think Richmond would be in the box seat if he wanted to go. They will still be very good for a while and he may have to take less money but more chance of success.

Collingwood are in a horrible shape, and hawthorn are probably heading down the mountain for a bit.

Richmond seems a very good fit on all levels.

Cheers Gosha! Not sure why you needed an alternate account to post it ;)

Last edited:
If Lynch leaves Gold Coast it will be to Collingwood.
No way he goes to Hawthorn, will be a rabble over the next few years.

Are you planning to keep Buckley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Richmond would be in the box seat if he wanted to go. They will still be very good for a while and he may have to take less money but more chance of success.

Collingwood are in a horrible shape, and hawthorn are probably heading down the mountain for a bit.

Richmond seems a very good fit on all levels.
Happen to know that Prestia and Caddy are both in his ear on a regular basis.

IMG_0439.JPG

The boys are keen to get back together.

Happen to know that Prestia and Caddy are both in his ear on a regular basis.

View attachment 443106

The boys are keen to get back together.

Ah yes. The old "once stood next to each other so must be best friends" line of thinking. Can't believe Lynch didn't quit the Suns October this year and demand an immediate trade to Richmond for a 4th rounder based on that photo :rolleyes:

Ah yes. The old "once stood next to each other so must be best friends" line of thinking. Can't believe Lynch didn't quit the Suns October this year and demand an immediate trade to Richmond for a 4th rounder based on that photo :rolleyes:
Hey FWIW Josh Caddy is on the record that he joined the Tigers because he wanted to play with Prestia again.
The part where I posted the picture was obviously having a joke but the first part that they are both in his ear is true.

Shaun Grigg & Brett Deledio are best mates and we would be open to let the reunite for your 2018 1st rounder if the GWS would like to get the pair back together - You are under estimating friendship between players

As much as I would love to have Lynch play for us, I don't think we will be able to land him. There will be clubs offering $1.2m-1.3m p.a for him and if he stays at the Suns he would be getting much more than that. While I think Richmonds salary cap is better than what many opposition supporters believe , I think we probably could offer something like $800,000- $1m if we shuffle things around. He may want to play for a successful club, but that would be too much of a sacrifice.

As much as I would love to have Lynch play for us, I don't think we will be able to land him. There will be clubs offering $1.2m-1.3m p.a for him and if he stays at the Suns he would be getting much more than that. While I think Richmonds salary cap is better than what many opposition supporters believe , I think we probably could offer something like $800,000- $1m if we shuffle things around. He may want to play for a successful club, but that would be too much of a sacrifice.
Puma will come through again like they did with Dusty;)

Sadly you're probably right, but he can always hope, I do genuinely believe we will have a crack though.

I personally don’t see salary as Richmond’s issue. It complicates things definitely, but I think it’s trade currency because your natural first round picks across 2018-19 are likely to be a lot worse than your competition for his signature. Much like Judd in 07 if he chose Collingwood it’ll mean some hard yards to get the deal done!

I personally don’t see salary as Richmond’s issue. It complicates things definitely, but I think it’s trade currency because your natural first round picks across 2018-19 are likely to be a lot worse than your competition for his signature. Much like Judd in 07 if he chose Collingwood it’ll mean some hard yards to get the deal done!
You are right about getting the deal done being an issue. It is bit of a catch 22. Lynch wants to ideally play for a successful club, but the only clubs who will have picks to trade for him are the ones who finish low on the ladder. Even though he's a RFA, clubs will no doubt have to get him through a trade because GWS will comfortably match any offer.

Want a sig bet on it?

Ask any regular Pies board poster how pessimistic I am toward the club and they’ll resoundingly back it up.

However I know Collingwood have the better list and will finish above Hawthorn in 2018. Thanks largely to Rd 23 2017. Despite having a bottom 2-3 coach league wide they’ve done enough this off-season within the FD to move past Hawthorn!
Computer says no.

Hawthorn has way more cap space available to spend then Collingwood at the end of next year.

So try again.

Are Collingwood expecting any retirements? What high profile Collingwood player will leave over the next few years to free up cap space?

For Hawthorn Hodge and Gibson are gone. They were both earning a fair amount of money, Vickery is gone and at the end of 2018 Burgoyne, Birchall and Puopolo will all likely retire. At the end of 2019 Roughead and Frawley will be nearing the end = $$$$$$

As for the Hawks being a rabble, they had up to eight best 22 players out injured for most of last season and they still managed to finish above Collingwood.

Hawthorn has way more cap space available to spend then Collingwood at the end of next year.

So try again.

Are Collingwood expecting any retirements? What high profile Collingwood player will leave over the next few years to free up cap space?

For Hawthorn Hodge and Gibson are gone. They were both earning a fair amount of money, Vickery is gone and at the end of 2018 Burgoyne, Birchall and Puopolo will all likely retire. At the end of 2019 Roughead and Frawley will be nearing the end = $$$$$$

As for the Hawks being a rabble, they had up to eight best 22 players out injured for most of last season and they still managed to finish above Collingwood.

Who are our high profile players on big $$ you are talking about? Pendles? Wells will be gone in the next year or two. We have guys like Greenwood and Varcoe who will most likely be gone. Cloke was one of the highest paid and went last year. I think we have a number of players on that $450k level who are all disposable. Pendles, Treloar, Grundy and Sidebottom are probably the best paid at the club, but even then, probably not on crazy money. Sidey and Grundy for instance signed on for a lot less than had been thrown at them (particularly Sidey a year ago).

As for Lynch, I’m not fussed by him unless he only costs salary cap space. I’d rather go into the draft with a high pick and pull in a KPP as it seems 2018 will have a few who are top class.

So try again.

You have no idea how much cap space collingwood does or doesnt have. We can be confident they have a lot of space though as its the worst kept secret we are making a play at Lynch.

This is my opinion. Collingwood have a much better list moving forward than do hawthorn.
Agree to disagree.

Back