Free Agency Tom Lynch [moves to Richmond as a Restricted Free Agent]

Will Lynch stay at the Suns?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Because as you stated you have a genius coach and the pies have a terrible coach yet the hawks only won one more game.. so what does it say about the lists ?
It says the Hawks are in transition and are rebuilding and gearing up for the next wave of challenging for a flag.

For Collingwood it meant yet another year where their coach took them backwards.

You may also want to take into account the Hawks much harder fixture if you just want to talk about just wins and losses.

Take Collingwoods fixture for this year hell I could coach them to the finals with the dream draw they have got.

It says the Hawks are rebuilding and gearing up for the next wave of challenging for a flag.

For Collingwood it meant yet another year where their Foch took them backwards.
You’re on the way down more so than collingwood and your strong point is your forward line so I think Lynch would feel he adds more to the pies

You’re on the way down more so than collingwood and your strong point is your forward line so I think Lynch would feel he adds more to the pies
I think we are on the way up especially after losing so many gun players to long term injuries last year.

I just wish we would get a dream draw like Collingwood do, still Buckley keeps taking them backwards

I think we are on the way up especially after losing so many gun players to long term injuries last year.

I just wish we would get a dream draw like Collingwood do, still Buckley keeps taking them backwards
I don’t think you are at all, only draw card is the coach and last year proved he can’t help a bad list make the finals

I don’t think you are at all, only draw card is the coach and last year proved he can’t help a bad list make the finals
So you agree that Collingwood have a worst list than the Hawks.

Only conclusion I can draw given the fact we had a shocking run of long term injuries, plus a much much harder draw than Collingwood.

If it came down to hawks v pies I would feel confident he will pick us but I think he would favour bombers/tigers if he wanted success

Agree.

If the coin were very similar then he would choose the list with the closest window.

Collingwood.

Hawthorn haven't even bottomed out yet.

I’m not sure how you came to this conclusion
Let me spell it out.

Hawks had a much much much harder draw than Collingwood, that is a fact.

Hawks had a shocking run of long term injuries to star players.

Hawks are rebuilding and yet still finished higher than Collingwood.

Not to mention that Collingwood have been the Hawks plaything for so long now it's almost a joke.

I am sure you get the picture now.

Let me spell it out.

Why would Tom Lynch want to join a team starting a rebuild?
Injury excuse is lame, like the pies didn’t miss heaps of players this year
I’d have to look up the double up matches for last year but I would expect Hawthorn to have a harder draw given they made finals the year before

End of the day it’s just an opinion, I just found your previous post to be a bit weird tbh given it clearly wasn’t the conclusion I had come to.

Wouldn’t it be better to go after a Shiel or Sloane - you just picked up 3 flankers and left the biggest hole in your list wide open. No use spending over a million on a gun forward when you can’t get your hands on it.
If they'd sign, i'd be stoked.
But Lynch is both young and fills a pressing need too.

Im less convinced that mids is that much of an issue for us.
Heppell and Myers returned from 12 and (effectively) 36 months off respectively.
Zaka and Goddard should play through there more often than they do.
Langford and Laverde are 21 and developing.
Mutch and Clarke are behind them
Begley and McGrath are 2 from our 22 that can slide right in for Jobe
Plus Smith and Stringer are AFL seasoned enough to step in too

I’d have to look up the double up matches for last year but I would expect Hawthorn to have a harder draw given they made finals the year before
The Hawks never made finals last year but suprise suprise have a much harder draw than Collingwood this year.

Why do you think that is?

Have a think about it.

The Hawks never made finals last year but suprise suprise have a much harder draw than Collingwood this year.

Why do you think that is?

Have a think about it.
because there is rule thats been in place for years where the ladder is divided into thirds and Collingwood finished bottom 6. It's surprising you didn't know that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me spell it out.

Not to mention that Collingwood have been the Hawks plaything for so long now it's almost a joke.

Didn't the pies peg back a 50 odd point lead to beat the Hawks last year?

Pies played the top 4 five times, the hawks played them four times.
Both travelled interstate 5 times.

Not sure the draw was that much harder.
you had 2 extra games against top 8 sides, but an extra game against bottom 5 sides.

If they'd sign, i'd be stoked.
But Lynch is both young and fills a pressing need too.

Im less convinced that mids is that much of an issue for us.
Heppell and Myers returned from 12 and (effectively) 36 months off respectively.
Zaka and Goddard should play through there more often than they do.
Langford and Laverde are 21 and developing.
Mutch and Clarke are behind them
Begley and McGrath are 2 from our 22 that can slide right in for Jobe
Plus Smith and Stringer are AFL seasoned enough to step in too
Weren’t all those except the new recruits available or played in the final? You will find it hard to match it with the best midfields imo. Stringer and Smith are not midfielders.

Weren’t all those except the new recruits available or played in the final? You will find it hard to match it with the best midfields imo. Stringer and Smith are not midfielders.
Goddard was playing defence. We seem intent on that despite him being in AA quality form early in the season as an inside mid
Parish was equal 1st with JPK for clearances that day. Jobe was 3rd, Heppell 6th.
Zaka was clear #1 on the ground for tackles by a good margin

The kids were far too young to be ready for that level of test. The Swans in red hot form, at the SCG, in a do or die final.
Langford, Mutch and Clarke were playing VFL and Begley was in our forward line

All this is to say we lost badly for a number of reasons. We hadn't been in great form for a number of weeks. Carrying older players (Kelly & Watson), players returning from long lay offs (Hooker, Fantasia) and players injured (Hurley).

As for Smith, he is a mid. He played mid at GWS often enough until it became more of a necessity for him to play flank.
He can play both, but he's a better mid than a forward.
And Stringer is being trained more as a mid than a forward, and i can see him playing a Dusty style role (burst moments of brilliance vs 4 quarters of sustained effort).

Given the choice of Sloane/Shiels vs Lynch, i take Lynch every day of the weak. Strengthens our backline and forward line with one addition.
We have enough mids coming through. I don't know who takes over Hooker when he's not available. And talls take longer to develop.

All the more reason for Lynch to pick the Hawks over Collingwood. ;)

HF: Burton, Gunston, Breust

F: Impey, Lynch, Rioli

Quickest rebuild in history that's what everyone at the Hawks is focused on. At the end of 2016 and before that draft I would of agreed with you. Only 15 mths on more than happy with the transition. With some of the 3peat star departures they were on good money so with this quick transition, Hawks culture, under a great coach, playing with his good mate JOM and the available cash makes it very attractive for Tom.

Hawks don't allow best mates to run the club like the way Eddie and Bucks do, Pies have got to get rid of Eddie he has stuffed things up since your last salute.

Last edited:
Back