Will Lynch stay at the Suns?

• Total voters
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yeah i know, and that means they can force a trade if the FA compo isn't to their liking, like what the Crows did with Danger.

What could Collingwood give them that could trump a top 5 pick in a super draft? Possibly pick 2.

Do you think GC would prefer pick 8-12 this year and likely a lesser pick next year instead?

I doubt it.

18 players out of contract.

Reid and Goldsack will probably retire, but a few of these blokes are going to want raises.
Reid won’t retire, but he’ll be on significantly less coin. All our players on significant money are locked up iirc, and the only ones in line for raises of significance are Moore and De Goey.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Love it when posters read the players mind. You’re very gifted.
Clearly you either cant read or just read and dont comprehend , The posts starts with IMO !!

Ask yourself this question - How many posts on a football forum wouldnt be speculation or opinion ?

I also love it how Wild Bill only posts facts that are 100% correct and never an opinion or speculation :rolleyes:

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
What could Collingwood give them that could trump a top 5 pick in a super draft? Possibly pick 2.

Do you think GC would prefer pick 8-12 this year and likely a lesser pick next year instead?

I doubt it.
All depends on where the GC finish, if they finish bottom 2-4 and we finish around the 8 they'll probably accept the FA compo (assuming he decides to come to us).

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
He will be 26 in October so he still has a good 4-7 years in him.
This will be his biggest contract he signs so there is no doubt it will drag on all year.
Ala D.Martin 2017

If he leaves the GC chances are excellent he'll be coming to Collingwood, idolised the club growing up and we have the cap space, i am worried about the AFL throwing a spanner in the works and the GC finishing higher up the ladder, i'm not sure ponying up 2 first rounders is in our best interest ATM.
He will want to give himself a chance at a flag, only fanboys think club supported as a child has any relevance to what a player does down the track, in reality they do what's best for the players career, on the rare occasion they will go to the club they supported as a kid but it's incredibly rare especially in the professional age.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pretty entertaining thread I must say. Just a couple of points from optimistic Suns fan. If Lynch leaves I will wish him all the best. He deserves whatever he wants after spending 7 years in a club that had no facilities, crappy admin and coaches. AFL totally screw up Suns set up. Metal sheds for 7 years? Total joke.

Do I think Lynch leaves? No. Here are some arguments why Lynch stays.

1) Finally, a lot of positive changes happened with Suns in the last 2 years. This is first preseason in proper facilities, new coach Dew (early signs are he could be a gem), completely new admin, finally Suns have adequate medical and performance teams and footy dept funding.
2) Lynch is very loyal person and loves his teammates and be a captain. Team is not very far off. Plenty of talent on the team. Expect a lot more competitive team with some players blossoming under Dew similar to Fagan's influence at Lions.
3) Lynch is quite shy guy and loves relaxed life on GC. The last thing he is missing is constant AFL circus in Melbourne.
4) No other team can pay what Sun can (with AFL assistance).
4) His girlfriend finished 2 years study at Melbourne and jsut returned back to GC. Her mum also lives and works on GC.

If does Lynch leaves I don't see it as a disaster. Peter Wright is almost there to take it to another level. If Suns finish bottom 4, another top 5 pick will be handy. If Suns finish higher on the ladder, somebody will have to fork out 2 first round picks.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Pretty entertaining thread I must say. Just a couple of points from optimistic Suns fan. If Lynch leaves I will wish him all the best. He deserves whatever he wants after spending 7 years in a club that had no facilities, crappy admin and coaches. AFL totally screw up Suns set up. Metal sheds for 7 years? Total joke.

Do I think Lynch leaves? No. Here are some arguments why Lynch stays.

1) Finally, a lot of positive changes happened with Suns in the last 2 years. This is first preseason in proper facilities, new coach Dew (early signs are he could be a gem), completely new admin, finally Suns have adequate medical and performance teams and footy dept funding.
2) Lynch is very loyal person and loves his teammates and be a captain. Team is not very far off. Plenty of talent on the team. Expect a lot more competitive team with some players blossoming under Dew similar to Fagan's influence at Lions.
3) Lynch is quite shy guy and loves relaxed life on GC. The last thing he is missing is constant AFL circus in Melbourne.
4) No other team can pay what Sun can (with AFL assistance).
4) His girlfriend finished 2 years study at Melbourne and jsut returned back to GC. Her mum also lives and works on GC.

If does Lynch leaves I don't see it a a disaster. Peter Wright is almost there to take it to another level. If Suns finish bottom 4, another top 5 pick will be handy. If Suns finish higher on the ladder, somebody will have to fork out 2 first round picks.
Great attitude to have. I also think he is going to stay at the suns but think if he does leave it isn't the end of the world. No doubt it would be a set back but with the quality of youth already assembled and adding two high draft picks in a very strong draft could help boost along the list build.

I think the most painful part as a suns fan would be listening to the media harp on about how if he leaves it is the end of the world and the club will fold blah blah blah. It will get painted as some doomsday scenario and will be hyped to no end that if he leaves the Suns are screwed. Hope they can get off to a decent start in 2018 just to shut that narrative down from the media.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
LOL Bradburying a flag !! Really might be goo to check out some facts

Finished just 2 points (half a game off top spot)
lost 4 games less than a goal which were winning until last seconds
Finished top 4
Beat the other 3 top 4 teams by 35-50+ points
The most dominant finals performance this century

Sure Bradbury flag

Annoying isn't it. A flag is a flag.

no excuses for hawthorn they clearly stuffed up 2 years running, they went after tall foward because they wernt confident in both roughead & buddy making it !

why els would they continue to select 2 more kpf in the next 2 years with theire 1st selections when they clearly bew their defence was in dire straits at the time.

they were very well coached in 2008 with clarko and thecluster , zone, flood what ever you like to call it....................they suprised everybody &had above average years from their core players

end of the day ...................they have a flag....bradbury flag........but still a flag.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wondering if Collingwood have a Plan B just in case that highly unlikely event occurs and Lynch re-signs with Gold Coast or another club other than Collingwood?

Lynch would want to be up for the intense scrutiny if he goes to the Pies as the hugely paid great (black &) white hope and after the disaster of the Buckley reign they are hardly a destination club, they even have a President who is on the nose.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wondering if Collingwood have a Plan B just in case that highly unlikely event occurs and Lynch re-signs with Gold Coast or another club other than Collingwood?
Yes....Rory Sloane:'(
He's not a KPF but they need to spend the $ somewhere. Our only hope is that Sando joins the Pies as assistant coach (or was he already there?)

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

Lynch would want to be up for the intense scrutiny if he goes to the Pies as the hugely paid great (black &) white hope and after the disaster of the Buckley reign they are hardly a destination club, they even have a President who is on the nose.
Plan B for me would be trying to get 2 top 10 picks and going tall. While it’s not going to be a quick fix I think it’s the best option if Lynch fails because I don’t think there’s another tall we can go for. Unless they break their contract.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
If he leaves the GC chances are excellent he'll be coming to Collingwood, idolised the club growing up and we have the cap space, i am worried about the AFL throwing a spanner in the works and the GC finishing higher up the ladder, i'm not sure ponying up 2 first rounders is in our best interest ATM.
I keep seeing this, year after year, free agent after free agent.

Players are not making multi-million dollar decisions on the basis of which footy jumper their uncle bought them when they were 8.

If he goes to Collingwood it will because they offer him what he wants, whether that's because he likes Buckley when they meet, or because Collingwood convince him they're on the right track etc.

I mean, can you seriously imagine a top end player being offered a great deal from a successful club, manager saying "yep, the offer is $250k a year more than the others and seriously, this place will help you get the best out of yourself. You will play your best footy here, you'll play finals, you'll be part of success and it'll set you up for life" only for the player to respond with "nah - I want that other club - the one with worse prospects and a much lower salary because I barracked for them before I was drafted".

They might paint the romantic picture publicly for fans - but who they supported as a kid has to be behind about 20 other criteria that are more influential on the final decision.

Weren't there whispers that Jeff Kennett had put Gil on notice that any funny bugger AFL "incentives" won't be acceptable? If so, I can see Eddie doing the same thing.

Like it in theory at least.

I get the need for the AFL to help make GC work, but I also get that teams like the Hawks/Pies want a "fair" crack at someone as good as Lynch. If he stays id hope it's because he wants to be there or because the GC alone gave him what's he wants.

The AFL needs to be held accountable if they "nudge" things here or there.

Yeah, taking on the AFL always ends well.......

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
He will want to give himself a chance at a flag, only fanboys think club supported as a child has any relevance to what a player does down the track, in reality they do what's best for the players career, on the rare occasion they will go to the club they supported as a kid but it's incredibly rare especially in the professional age.
Can you please,please inform aints ' supporters of this??.... theyre convinced its the be all and end all when it comes to which club a player will choose if the opportunity arises

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Plan B for me would be trying to get 2 top 10 picks and going tall. While it’s not going to be a quick fix I think it’s the best option if Lynch fails because I don’t think there’s another tall we can go for. Unless they break their contract.
Give you Jenkins for your 1st pick!

Back