Free Agency Tom Lynch [moves to Richmond as a Restricted Free Agent]

Will Lynch stay at the Suns?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lynch wanted to leave and go to a club for success why Richmond. Going by the law of averages he will be 64yo the next time Tigers win it again. At the Hawks he will be 28!
Lynch is about as much chance of landing at Richmond as Martin was of crossing to North.

Lynch is about as much chance of landing at Richmond as Martin was of crossing to North.

Neil Balme is going to fly to the Gold Coast at the last minute and save the day?

Not sure why everyone is saying he is a lock to NOT go to richmond. If he leaves GC he won’t be after money anyway because the AFL will ensure they have the best financial deal on the table.

If Lynch wanted to leave and go to a club for success why Richmond. Going by the law of averages he will be 64yo the next time Tigers win it again. At the Hawks he will be 28!

This is the type of attitude Essendon and Carlton fans had in the 2000s, thought you would have learnt that just because something happens in the past doesn’t mean it’ll happen again.

Slobbo = Bullshyte

Spot on it has got to the stage over the last couple years where he actually thinks he plays an important role in the media and in the AFL. His contacts and mates who are actually in the know are decreasing in numbers dramatically can’t be trusted. Clarko and Bucks can’t stand him, he has burnt to many bridges and if Lynch was up to to his eyeballs talking to the Hawks or Pies Slobbo would be the last one to know.

And how are you going to afford the $1.5M? Lynch is either staying or will be at Pies, simple..Its a done deal.

Or the Hawks who would be cashed up with all the legend triple/quadruple premiership players recently leaving. However we do have to make some room to keep Burton our future Mr fix it!

And how are you going to afford the $1.5M? Lynch is either staying or will be at Pies, simple..Its a done deal.
I've noticed when people summarise an issues as 'simple' they usually ignore a lot of important considerations.

One you may not have considered:
- Lynch may want to go to a club that isn't Collingwood or Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lynch goes anywhere, I reckon he'll be at either Richmond or Collingwood. I just don't see what Hawthorn could possibly offer him to entice him more than the other 2.

If he's still mates with Prestia and Caddy, then he'll probably get to Richmond.

If Lynch goes anywhere, I reckon he'll be at either Richmond or Collingwood. I just don't see what Hawthorn could possibly offer him to entice him more than the other 2.

If he's still mates with Prestia and Caddy, then he'll probably get to Richmond.
I reckon the decision making process is way too convoluted for us to make real sense of it.

I mean - Treloar going to Collingwood didn't make a lot of sense. They were on the way down and didn't look like they were on the way up. It might be salary? Side deals for partner? Facilities? Post career promises?

Same with Prestia going to Richmond. They looked a total basket case - coach was on the absolute ropes, yet they convinced him to come. What was Richmond's sell at the time? (ignoring the fact that the promise of future success was accurate - at the time it would have seemed ridiculous).

There are many examples that don't make a lot of sense on the outside because I think a lot of it has to do with how well the coach staff pitch to the player - how accommodating they seem and how much the player thinks that particular environment will be for them.

Then, when it comes to interview time they reference premiership windows and playing with mates and coming home to family and I'm sure that all comes down to it - but which player is going to come to a club where the coaching staff looks like a pack of arseholes that will make your life hell the whole time your'e there?

I reckon the decision making process is way too convoluted for us to make real sense of it.

I mean - Treloar going to Collingwood didn't make a lot of sense. They were on the way down and didn't look like they were on the way up. It might be salary? Side deals for partner? Facilities? Post career promises?

Same with Prestia going to Richmond. They looked a total basket case - coach was on the absolute ropes, yet they convinced him to come. What was Richmond's sell at the time? (ignoring the fact that the promise of future success was accurate - at the time it would have seemed ridiculous).

There are many examples that don't make a lot of sense on the outside because I think a lot of it has to do with how well the coach staff pitch to the player - how accommodating they seem and how much the player thinks that particular environment will be for them.

Then, when it comes to interview time they reference premiership windows and playing with mates and coming home to family and I'm sure that all comes down to it - but which player is going to come to a club where the coaching staff looks like a pack of arseholes that will make your life hell the whole time your'e there?

Prestia going to Richmond was $$$$ and they were by far the most interested party - Melbourne had been keen in previous years but we ended up being well stocked for inside mids and gave up around 2014.

It's no secret why Treloar wanted to go to Collingwood. Eddie was all over that one.
Prestia also had some incentive to go to Richmond as well. He wanted to come to Melbourne. Richmond offered the best deal.

Hawthorn is going to compete with two clubs that are not only looking to be better placed for a premiership tilt in the near future, but also 2 big clubs that certainly have the appeal of playing in front of big crowds regularly. He'll almost be the marquee player of the competition if he goes there. Collingwood will offer him a mega deal that'll probably make him the highest paid player in the league. Richmond sells itself really, with Dusty and co already there. In terms of trade value, Richmond and Collingwood also have as much to offer as Hawthorn does.

The only way he goes to Hawthorn IMO is if Hawthorn contend this year.

Neil Balme is going to fly to the Gold Coast at the last minute and save the day?
Are you still trying to convince people that Martin was actually going to join the Roos?

4A8E44E6-05E2-47DB-87F9-92196793FC78.jpeg

Who says we have to pay 1.5M? If money is the biggest thing, he will stay at the GC. He will get 1m+ there easily, plus ambassador payments. Stands to earn the most staying at the Suns.

From what I understand, Lynch's main motivation is success and playing in front of big crowds.

If we contend again this year, I would say Richmond are in the box seat to get him. Pies lack of finals over the past half decade means they will have to pay more than we would given we have made finals 4 out of the past 5 years and won a flag.

Who says we have to pay 1.5M? If money is the biggest thing, he will stay at the GC. He will get 1m+ there easily, plus ambassador payments. Stands to earn the most staying at the Suns.

From what I understand, Lynch's main motivation is success and playing in front of big crowds.

If we contend again this year, I would say Richmond are in the box seat to get him. Pies lack of finals over the past half decade means they will have to pay more than we would given we have made finals 4 out of the past 5 years and won a flag.

True, but if Richmond do contend again this year, you'd imagine there will be a few players who have big years outside of Dusty, Cotchin, etc. If those guys start asking for 100k, 200k more on their next contracts, you're suddenly looking at 400-500k less that they can throw at Lynch. Guys will obviously take unders to play in a winning side, but if opposition clubs start offering an extra 200k to what Richmond can, it would be hard to knock back. Then you've got players leaving who helped the club win the flag, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him end up at the Hawks. Pies and Hawks must have some level of confidence to be playing their best KPF prospects in Moore and Sicily down back.

Lynch ain’t leaving the Suns to be the highest paid player in the comp.

He’s leaving the Suns because he’s tired of getting changed in iron sheds, having different fitness and conditioning staff every 12 months, the revolving door for coaches and getting flogged every week.

Back