Toast Tom McDonald aka #25 aka goal kicking machine

Remove this Banner Ad

They're probably right, we're being too harsh. He's not always the best kick, but I truly had my doubts about the kicking ability of Nathan Jones back in the day. Also I think nobody gives consideration to the newness of the defensive strategy - we're trying always to get it out fast or switch and I think the newness of the game plan is impacting players as they adjust. We will see improvement from Tommy, he's still very young. He will be an AA ultimately.

I'd have to re-watch all his clangers again (no thanks) but there's a good chance that Tommy's on the right wavelength (gameplan-wise), and the person who he's kicking to runs/leads the wrong way, leading to clangers.

Okay now I'm being truly revisionist. It's amazing what a signature can do.

Last edited:
I'd have to re-watch all his clangers again (no thanks) but there's a good chance that Tommy's on the right wavelength (gameplan-wise), and the person who he's kicking too runs/leads the wrong way, leading to clangers.

Okay now I'm being truly revisionist. It's amazing what a signature can do.
Indeed. I decided he was one of the greats of all time yesterday after a few and I'm not budging on that.

Oscar will be able to hold down CHB next year and Frost looks the good at FB so Tommy can give us the benefits of a mobile third defender without the usual drawbacks you get with the Gibson types. If he can just simplify his kicking game a bit we are golden.

Deserves some credit. Huge game from Tommy Mac today. Probably doesn't get his name up in lights as often as some of his team mates but he did his job well today.

Good call. He covered a lot of ground and set up some great attacks. Goodwin also specifically mentioned his efforts after the first quarter to make sure his teammate/brother wasn't isolated so badly.

That spoil running back that was a certain goal was huge! Saints kick that goal they wrestle back some momentum, Game changing moment it was

Good call. He covered a lot of ground and set up some great attacks. Goodwin also specifically mentioned his efforts after the first quarter to make sure his teammate/brother wasn't isolated so badly.
T. Mac was very good after quarter time. Love to see him taking those intercept on regular basis.

His brother on the other hand, was goddam awful all game. Surely if a coach thinks that a player is vulnerable when isolated, then his position in the team should be questioned. O. Mac may turn out to be a decent footballer, but at the moment, he's a liability. Bring Pedo or Frost in, or play Watts down back.

T. Mac was very good after quarter time. Love to see him taking those intercept on regular basis.

His brother on the other hand, was goddam awful all game. Surely if a coach thinks that a player is vulnerable when isolated, then his position in the team should be questioned. O. Mac may turn out to be a decent footballer, but at the moment, he's a liability. Bring Pedo or Frost in, or play Watts down back.
Defensively OMAC was really good. It is when he has the ball I am concerned, not too dissimilar to his brother at the same age

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O Mac looked lost in the first couple of games last year but settled in to being reasonably dependable throughout the year (at least as a defender, his work with the ball was shaky). I feel like he'll need a couple of games again to settle into the pace of the game and be more comfortable. He was ok defensively but made some silly decisions with the ball that should be ironed out with a little more confidence which I doubt he'll get from being axed after one game. also, who would come in for him? We're light on for tall defenders at the moment.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-10/player-rankings-who-is-moving-up-and-down-at-your-club

TOM McDONALD
2015 pre-season:
Now: 56

Since the start of 2016, McDonald has averaged the second-most disposals and is equal-third for spoils and marks of all key defenders. There's no doubt he frustrates Melbourne's supporters sometimes with his kicking and decision-making but McDonald has become a gun backman.

He gets a massive hard time on here and fairly justifiably so for the most part, but he has good traits. There is a balance problem at present between his strengths, his weaknesses, the role the club wants him playing and the gameplan/defensive structure. No doubt. And this is really magnifying his failings. But I'm confident that he and Goody will work it out and find that balance. Not saying we don't need to stay in the market for a gorilla-keeper, though, but I have quite a bit of faith in Tom.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-10/player-rankings-who-is-moving-up-and-down-at-your-club

He gets a massive hard time on here and fairly justifiably so for the most part, but he has good traits. There is a balance problem at present between his strengths, his weaknesses, the role the club wants him playing and the gameplan/defensive structure. No doubt. And this is really magnifying his failings. But I'm confident that he and Goody will work it out and find that balance. Not saying we don't need to stay in the market for a gorilla-keeper, though, but I have quite a bit of faith in Tom.

They need to keep giving the big jobs to Frost so TMac can peel off. I'm still pretty disappointed at how soft he was against the Hawks.

His kicking action is so bizarre, never looks very natural but sometimes he'll execute a pretty aggressive pass (heart in mouth stuff) but when he butchers it, it looks so sub AFL level. I'd have to look into how the ratings are made, but my gut feel is that that rating flatters him - perhaps the kicking into the man on the mark on the wing last week is too fresh in my mind....

That rating flatters him, and they're tailored to mids and forwards. If keeping your opponent quiet without third man up help was the only criteria, he wouldn't be in the top 20 defenders in the league.

That rating flatters him, and they're tailored to mids and forwards. If keeping your opponent quiet without third man up help was the only criteria, he wouldn't be in the top 20 defenders in the league.

Rubbish mate, he's the one that goes out of his way to help his teammates when they are 1 v 1.

Good player.

Rubbish mate, he's the one that goes out of his way to help his teammates when they are 1 v 1.

Good player.

No doubt he does, but as a 1 on 1 defender, he's not that great, which is what I've said.

I'm loving him being played further up the ground. Would love to see Goody experiment with him as a Blitzavs type tall follower who can push forward and exploit a match up. His marking and contest work forward was critical in the win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back