Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Deep breath. Our young group need to go to the next level if we are going to have success. We get to see who sinks and who swims without our best player masking deficiencies. One soldier out another comes in - that's always been Clarkson's mantra

If this can’t get the melting under control, nothing will. Robbo agrees, Hawthorn’s season is over.

Obviously, TOM out sucks. But show some backbone in the face of adversity, for goodness sake. The team will, thankfully.

Please hold back the pretzels for a sec, but maybe he was saying Mitchell's season was over, not necessarily Hawthorns.

Lets just hope we get scully on the park asap they might look for a totally different midfield mix we usually ran with tom&jom and either shiels/worpel/ or howe in a shutdown role.
Hypotherically if u put
jom with wingard&scully in the middle that setup has more speed/invasion and kicking ability than any of last yrs setups. They could seriously hurt teams with there 2way running, yes we would lose at the cold face naturally with tom absense.

But Its not all doom and gloom fingers crossed no more injurys. maybe a bloke like cj or glass suddenly gets a outside role there is plenty of options we hope can work.

Mitch has clearly forgotten to engage his brain before hitting submit.

The AFL media are showing their true ANTI-HAWTHORN colours.

For the past two years I have been reading where they question Tom Mitchell's value to the team, and whether his 40 odd possessions are really hurting the opposition. Now, he will not be there, are admitting that they were wrong? No, that would never happen.

Backs to the wall Hawks fight the hardest, so watch out.

The AFL media are showing their true ANTI-HAWTHORN colours.

For the past two years I have been reading where they question Tom Mitchell's value to the team, and whether his 40 odd possessions are really hurting the opposition. Now, he will not be there, are admitting that they were wrong? No, that would never happen.

Backs to the wall Hawks fight the hardest, so watch out.

Controversy sells. Negative stories sell. Been happening for a long time.

Wasn't minchington brought in for midfield depth? We could at the very least play him up forward in the wingard role which would allow chad to spend quality minutes in the middle. Perfect opportunity to see if this guy can cut it if given a free reign to show his qualities.

Hah those ******s!

If he was that good he'd still be playing for someone

Kieran Lovell’s attitude is summed up by him returning to the TSL to play for for the Kingston Tigers. Clearly he isn’t interested in fighting to get back on an AFL list, or he would have played VFL/SANFL etc.

Shocking news about Mitchell, but I doubt Clarko is questioning his decision to let Lovell go!

Barlow provides depth & stops the kids getting smashed up all year.
He can still find the footy but I guess his big question mark would be defensive liability. He can run all day but as is well known he is a plodder; Couldn’t run down a parked car.
Grigg similar & I dare say Gibbons may be in the same boat.

Howe will get the first crack at filling the inside mid role & the rest to take up the slack of what Mitchell provided. Wingard will go a long way to replacing some of those touches in the middle but I recon Clarko will look internally as the main cover.

Whoever gets a jumper if Mitchell is listed as a LTI should be a battering ram player IMO that can hold their own with the big boys... Barlow makes the most sense to me as he would have some value in a coaching role in the future similar to Cam Bruce.
Barlow is far from being Tom Mitchell but he could help S.Mitchell with the midfield group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barlow provides depth & stops the kids getting smashed up all year.
He can still find the footy but I guess his big question mark would be defensive liability. He can run all day but as is well known he is a plodder; Couldn’t run down a parked car.
Grigg similar & I dare say Gibbons may be in the same boat.

Howe will get the first crack at filling the inside mid role & the rest to take up the slack of what Mitchell provided. Wingard will go a long way to replacing some of those touches in the middle but I recon Clarko will look internally as the main cover.

Whoever gets a jumper if Mitchell is listed as a LTI should be a battering ram player IMO that can hold their own with the big boys... Barlow makes the most sense to me as he would have some value in a coaching role in the future similar to Cam Bruce.
Barlow is far from being Tom Mitchell but he could help S.Mitchell with the midfield group

The ideal scenario will be as long as Birchall comes back okay he’ll take over Silk’s HB spot. Silk will then be used at HF and spell Wingard. Once Scully is back hopefully early in the season then the rotation will get even deeper. The HB spot left vacant by Burton I feel will be thrown at Hendo. Birch and Hendo running off of HB linking up with Scully / Smith on the wings will go a long way to cheering us all up.

A couple of weeks ago I couldnt find a spot for in our best 22 but being such a versatile player is great when a big s**t sandwich like we’ve just been served.

The ideal scenario will be as long as Birchall comes back okay he’ll take over Silk’s HB spot. Silk will then be used at HF and spell Wingard. Once Scully is back hopefully early in the season then the rotation will get even deeper. The HB spot left vacant by Burton I feel will be thrown at Hendo. Birch and Hendo running off of HB linking up with Scully / Smith on the wings will go a long way to cheering us all up.

A couple of weeks ago I couldnt find a spot for in our best 22 but being such a versatile player is great when a big s**t sandwich like we’ve just been served.

Scrimshaw another that will put his hand up for the half back role.

Yes - the versatility that Clarko has already built into the squad will go a long way to covering Tom. I'm now nearly even more excited by this year. Can't wait to see what we serve up, the way we adapt, who steps into the breach, etc. It's now like we nearly have a "free hit" at the season with everyone predicting us to fail (e.g. Dal Santo, etc.) now having even more cause.

Can't wait to see the look on their faces when we "are lucky enough" to slide into the eight again.

Crazy idea maybe.. but maybe Mitch out Mitch in. Sammy... Come back for a year of playing Melbourne games only.
To tell you the truth I don’t think it’s silly at all. He never relied on his speed anyways. The issue would be having the right guys around him that can pick up his defensive slack. With the speed of Wingard, Smith, JOM and hopefully Scully and the brute of Shiel, Worpel and Howe there’s plenty still to work with. Silk will be that utility that spells any of them when needed.

To tell you the truth I don’t think it’s silly at all. He never relied on his speed anyways. The issue would be having the right guys around him that can pick up his defensive slack. With the speed of Wingard, Smith, JOM and hopefully Scully and the brute of Shiel, Worpel and Howe there’s plenty still to work with. Silk will be that utility that spells any of them when needed.

It's silly. Sammy Mitchell is now a coach.

Remember when Plugger came back. T'was sad.

So I was having a read of the below article where a girl had a break of the fibula and tibia. It took 6 months for the bones to fully heal. She was on a special diet that help speed up bone healing. For those wondering 6 months from today would be round 17 but if he had any chance of coming back this season he’d have to go a mini preseason of around 4-5 weeks that would be just in time for finals. Even with the bones fully healed next season is the more realistic scenario but we’re taking about Tom Mitchell here who probably goes to sleep with a football under his pillow.

https://www.betterbones.com/fractures-and-healing/how-to-heal-broken-bones-fast/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back