Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
Horrible Horrible news.

Jul 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did anybody else leave work early today and go to the pub.. I did.. absolutely shattered coz I love the guy and our club.

Could be in for a tough season now, he was just immense for us last year. I guess the only shining light is it creates opportunity for someone else to step up.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did anybody else leave work early today and go to the pub.. I did.. absolutely shattered coz I love the guy and our club.

Could be in for a tough season now, he was just immense for us last year. I guess the only shining light is it creates opportunity for someone else to step up.

I’m not gonna lie. I was flat as.

How many times have we said this over the last 2 years: “if Mitchell goes down we’re screwed”.

Well, now it’s happened. And the boys have time to think about how they are going to cover him. It’s going to take a cartel. There is no one on our list who can do what he does. So the “replace one soldier with another” theory just doesn’t fly.

Make no mistake, this is an enormous test for Clarkson. You’re only as good as the depth of your list.

Reminds me of when we knew Bud was leaving. We became more unpredictable and less reliant on one bloke. Same applies here.

As I said, it’s now about a cartel. A team within a team. Which needs to start forming from Monday.

After first hearing the news this morning I've now come to terms with it, and I think this could even help the team in the long run.

We've been accused of being far too reliant on him the last couple years so this is the perfect opportunity for the list to play a long period of time without him there.

There's now plenty of space and opportunity for the younger players to get in there and show us all what they can do. It's going to be a great thing for the development of guys like Howe, Worpel, Morrison, Cousins and anyone else who wants to put their hand up to play a pivotal role in the midfield.

While Tom's leg break is a serious fracture, it sounds like the clean breaks are the best case scenario for him to make a good recovery. We know what we're getting with him and I don't believe there's any reason for us to think he won't get back there in time.

In the meantime the gap he leaves will enable the rapid development of the up and comers. Then in 2020 Tom can slip back into a side that doesn't rely so much on him.

(And yes, I know it would have been better if this didn't happen - but it did - so let's try and embrace what silver linings we can!)

Sam Mitchell has 10 weeks to get fit😁

Nah, dont bother, he never ran in the past. As long as his mind's as fast as ever, it'll be like he never took the jumper off.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Hate to be too negative but has anyone come back from a significant leg injury and ever actually fulfilled his promise?
Tom was gonna be a multiple brownlow winner but lets just hope we get something near that when he's back :(

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fyfe was back to his very best this season after the leg injury a couple years ago.

I think the fact that Tommy has never had to rely on explosiveness, agility etc will help him return from this. His work ethic, fitness and football smarts have been his bread and butter and none of those will be hurt from this long term. It is going to be a rough 12 months for him and the club but i am confident we will see him bounce back to his best in the future.

gardiner stand

Premiership Player
Dec 3, 2010
fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
You don’t actually know any of that to be true, so with respect, **** off.
Mate I’m as sorry as the next bloke for Mitchell’s injury so whilst I understand your anger please don’t take it out on me.
As for Scully I will take your advice and ...off, but I know more than the average punter when it comes to GWS because I know people in their football department, maybe check my impeccable mail before draft period began. I’m not a troll and I know things about Scully injury that you don’t. So respectfully I’ll nick off b

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It will be very interesting to see what path clarko goes down a few options come to mind quickly.
I actually like the idea of leaving things at it is and it forces us to play wingard and scully as on ballers. We lose the luxury of having them as outside players with tom&jom feeding them.

Last edited:
Point where I said Tom kept information, please go right head and show me where?? I said why it's possible a change of direction can lead to break which I also said is unlikely to be the case.

Yes our doctors have and do lie, that's their prerogative to release information as they see fit, you live in fantasy land if you think every bit of information from the club is 100% factual.
You wrote

Very slim but a stress factracture doesn't mean Tom would of been in considerable pain, might of just an annoyance but that would of meant Tom with holding information from the doctors. I imagine the break would be similar to Wallis in late 2016, happens all the time in soccer.

Which means you'd rather speculate on a hypothetical how did his leg snap involving Tom keeping info from the club and take pot shots at Dr Makdissi than take a statement from the club on face value on how bad the break is.

They've said he fully broke both bones and he will miss the year and you are looking for a cover-up

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hate to be too negative but has anyone come back from a significant leg injury and ever actually fulfilled his promise?
Tom was gonna be a multiple brownlow winner but lets just hope we get something near that when he's back :(

Michael Voss had a shocking break and turned out alright

Mate I’m as sorry as the next bloke for Mitchell’s injury so whilst I understand your anger please don’t take it out on me.
As for Scully I will take your advice and ...off, but I know more than the average punter when it comes to GWS because I know people in their football department, maybe check my impeccable mail before draft period began. I’m not a troll and I know things about Scully injury that you don’t. So respectfully I’ll nick off b
GWS football department knows 5 parts of * all about injuries from what I can tell from the last 3 years of reoccurring injuries, so I’ll take their thoughts on his injury with a grain of salt, especially considering I watched the guy at training with my own eyes today.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

We have heard it all before with b.lake,burgoyne,jager we will back our club.
Lake has got 3flags, burgoyne still going 7seasons later and jaeger played 20 odd games last yr :)

Scully resumed training weeks ahead of his intial predicted time.

Similar knocks as Tim Kelly... how'd that one work out? Seems a pretty logical choice
I’ve watched his highlights around draft time and I would’ve been happy with us taking him.

Hopefully we do now.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Dreadful news about Tom, but we are in a better position to cover him this year than would have been the case last year. My understanding is that Chad Wingard played a lot of time in the midfield last year with great success.
Obviously it will be difficult to replace our best player of the last two years but watch Clarkson improvise. He will relish the challenge.

Dreadful news about Tom, but we are in a better position to cover him this year than would have been the case last year. My understanding is that Chad Wingard played a lot of time in the midfield last year with great success.
Obviously it will be difficult to replace our best player of the last two years but watch Clarkson improvise. He will relish the challenge.
A couple of the young blokes should be absolutely belting the crap out of each other for the opportunity that has just presented itself to them now(Worpel, Howe and Cousins).

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Voss, Chris Newman , fevola , Barlow are a few that come to mind . Hoping for the best

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)

If you remember back to The Footy Show a few years back, the big thing they teased Garry Lyon with was him breaking his leg against Footscray at the Western Oval. This occured back in 1988 so it was before Garry did anything of note in his career.

Saying he was going to be a multiple Brownlow Medalists, that would be hard to do as he would be manned up on more now as a Brownlow Medalists. Winning back to back medals this year would have been tough, with Fyfe, Dangerfield and Martin playing all season coming up.

We should look at this as a positive, the chance to find other onballers to bring the football out for the Hawks this season. If we can find a good ruck rover and rover this season it would be good. Then we can put Tom Mitchell back into the Hawks line up in 2020 with more opinions for bringing the ball out. This could be the opportunity in coaching the Sam Mitchell needs, to bring a player into AFL football who could have just been playing VFL football for Box Hill this year.

Back