Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Its a shame we lost our most productive midfielder

opportunity knocks for Worpel and Minchington to get more opportunity. (i think Minchington might get some opportunities in the midfield possibly?)

wish Tom Mitchell a swift and good recovery and i hope he can make it back sometime later in the year if possible, get well soon Tom.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
I broke my left leg on the footy field when I was 16. Both tibia and fibula broke clean. Just crossed legs with an opposition bloke going for the ball. Apparently they heard the snap on the boundary line 30 metres away. So I feel his pain.
I was back out playing again the following year.

Birchall Scully and now Mitchell all out for long periods before the season starts is a real battle!!!!

Go Hawks.
Mitchell is the only definite out for a long period.

I know everyone thinks Birchall died over Christmas, but it's not so.

Scully may yet surprise with a very early appearance as well. watch this space.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Spare a thought for Clarko tonight. Poor bloke won’t sleep for a week. There’s just no visible solution at this stage.

He will be shattered no doubt but knowing his resilience and character he will be losing sleep plotting to put the players and club in the best position to give it their best effort and hopefully the last ones standing in Sep.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok hawks fans, time to pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off. No point living in the, woe is us head space, it achieves nothing.

We need to keep punching. Just like our great club did in 2014, against what looked like insurmountable odds, we kept punching until the unbeatable were beaten.

Our chances rest not with one man*. As often has been the case in our history we will have to do it the Hard Way.

Just the way we like it.

* ok maybe 2, if Jaeger goes down so will we all.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Birchall Scully and now Mitchell all out for long periods before the season starts is a real battle!!!!

Go Hawks.
Only one of them played for us last year so Scully and Birchall being fit would be a bonus. Lets all just see what JOM can do, another season of recovering and now the number one mid, he was built for this. He will take this midfield by the balls.

Oct 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Atlanta Braves, Falcons, Everton
Absolutely awful for Tom and I wish him the very best in his recovery. As much as it seems trite to say it, the club will have another soldier to bring in to the team.
The season hasn't started yet and every other team is on zero points as well, don't write us off yet.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1547212034828.gif

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hate to be too negative but has anyone come back from a significant leg injury and ever actually fulfilled his promise?
Tom was gonna be a multiple brownlow winner but lets just hope we get something near that when he's back :(

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Garry Lyon had a successful recovery. Just 19 at the time, he was injured at Footscray in the final round of 1987 but was back for round one the following season and played out the next 12 seasons without suffering a related problem.

A couple of the young blokes should be absolutely belting the crap out of each other for the opportunity that has just presented itself to them now(Worpel, Howe and Cousins).

Agreed. I’m really excited to see how things come together. JOM, Wingard, Howe and Worpel will be super fun to watch this year.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Terrible news and really unlucky. No one likes to see any player injure themselves like that. Here’s hoping Tom makes it back soon. Try to look on the bright side Hawks’ fans, some promising kids are going to get a little more exposure than they otherwise would’ve.

5ammy

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hours later & I'm still bloody shattered. I've broken my leg, wrist & done an ACL & the leg break was by far the worst one. Really feel for Tommy. FCK FCK FCK!!!

Go like for like and fill that last list spot with another midfielder rather then a key position player. Andrew Moore or Mitchell Grigg can step in straight away. Even Jesse Lonergan would be ideal if he’s still interested in playing AFL again.

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Hate to be too negative but has anyone come back from a significant leg injury and ever actually fulfilled his promise?
Tom was gonna be a multiple brownlow winner but lets just hope we get something near that when he's back :(

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
There was a period of time this year where Fyfe was back to killing it and looking like the brownlow medalist he is. I have faith in TOM and the medical staff to get it right.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Howe, Worpel, Jones, Cousins & Minchington - plenty of guys to step up and take their opportunity, and each with a fair bit of talent.
Maybe we will find us a Brent Prismall for November, or the next Brad Sewell for years to come.

I suspect that we will see games split between Jones and Cousins for a spot in the team.
Mitchell is a big loss, but now we can try out some handy prospects.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Sure we hate you guys but that is just crap news and only moronic opposition supporters would find joy in this. We all like to joke on here and say he isn’t damaging blah, blah,blah but the bloke is a legitimate gun of the competition and it sucks not seeing him running around out there (even though he embarrassed us twice during the year)

I broke my left leg on the footy field when I was 16. Both tibia and fibula broke clean. Just crossed legs with an opposition bloke going for the ball. Apparently they heard the snap on the boundary line 30 metres away. So I feel his pain.
I was back out playing again the following year.
Same in all respects. Right through to the spectators at the ground hearing the snap from every vantage point. Did mine when I was 22, resumed and played until 31. 45 now and still playing cricket and running marathons.

It's a s**t injury to get but the bones will heal fine and as long as there's no terrible trauma to muscles etc, he should come back just fine.

And let's say my 'rehab' was less than ideal and light years away from what AFL players do.

Back