Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Far out we are proposing VFL plodders to come in for a Brownlow medallist.

It’s difficult to see us being anything other than rooted this year. Mitchell is by so far our best and most irreplaceable player. He carries the midfield.

If Wingard and Scully are fit, we can probably tread water a bit but I think we will struggle to make the 8 unless O’Meara goes to a whole new level too (and actually plays a full year which is extremely doubtful)

We will need to come up with a game plan that concedes the midfield every week. Over to you Clarko or it is going to be a horrible year.

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok, i've had a night and afew bourbons for this to sink in... It's time for some positiveness... Some things to consider;

1) Midfielders are easier to replace than KPP (IMO)
2) WC lost their best midfielder for the last 8 weeks of the season and everyone wrote them off.... How'd that turn out?
3) We have added Wingard (& Scully) to the team and we are not taking into account improvement from JOM, and natural progression for guys like Worpedo, Howe, Harry Jones...etc

As the saying goes.... Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Fast forward to end of 2019 season, we'll be sitting here drooling at the fact of Tommy returning and the addition of Coniglio ;)

Last edited:

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes Mitchell is a big set back for 2019. While there isn’t too many positives from his unfortunate injury, what it does entail is that gives guys like Worpel, cousins, Morrison, Moore ect a chance to step up.

It also makes players like JOM, Langford, Howe and Sheils more accountable in the midfield. Wingard and Scully to a lesser extent as well.

For the past 2 years we have been heavily reliant on Tom. This year we won’t have that luxury, it’s time for his team mates to step up so that in 2020 with the addition of Cogs, we will be 1 premiership down in our quest of 5 consecutive! (It’s time for that fake Collingwood 4 consecutive record be broken!)

It’s unfortunate but ever since Clarko took over in 2005, any adversity has always been seen as a challenge, so I can’t see the need to be defeatist, it’s just a new challenge that I’m sure the club and players will take on, with a big desire to once again exceed expectations and stick it up to those that choose to treat our club with disrespect

Hope for a speedy recovery for Tom, looking forward to the players taking on this unfortunate challenge.

May 24, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The exciting thing is we have Sam Mitchell who has a crazy footy brain and will probably thrive on this challenge, he did it with the Eagles they lost Nic Nat who was a massive part of their midfield, as Mitchell is to ours. He brought players who were average and made them elite, he'll have some ideas no doubt about what we can do to minimise the loss of Mitchell. It'll still hurt but at the same time it's exciting to see what he brings up

lickmerocks

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2007
heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Kings,
Far out we are proposing VFL plodders to come in for a Brownlow medallist.

It’s difficult to see us being anything other than rooted this year. Mitchell is by so far our best and most irreplaceable player. He carries the midfield.

If Wingard and Scully are fit, we can probably tread water a bit but I think we will struggle to make the 8 unless O’Meara goes to a whole new level too (and actually plays a full year which is extremely doubtful)

We will need to come up with a game plan that concedes the midfield every week. Over to you Clarko or it is going to be a horrible year.

I keep reading Omeara will go to a new level!!!!

People need to understand Jaeger has his own issues going on and his workload each and every week is managed for a reason by the club.

If we get another year like last year from Omeara we should be happy.
Jaeger pulling out of a cut throat Final after running out the previous game against the Tigers is a warning for everyone on here to keep expectations to a minimum.

Jul 3, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not really a worse player to lose for the year, but silver linings:
- Cousins, Worpel, Howe and Morrison must be champing at the bit for a spot this year and we will learn whether they'll make it.
- The melts if one of these high draft pick players becomes a consistent A grader.
- The melts if we make the 8 and win some finals will be glorious!
- Beating Geelong, Sydney etc etc made all the sweeter missing our best player

Anyway, what's the rules if we pick up another player to replace Mitchell but he heals quicker than expected, can he come back and play?

Sent from my RNE-L02 using Tapatalk

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
After reading some of the defeatist comments in this thread I really know who I’d like to have and not have by my side if a crisis was to occur. It’s important to remember that this season will be defined by more than wins and losses. There’s going to be times this coming season where we get beat but if you go into any battle with a defeatist attitude then you’ve lost before you even begin.

Everyone deals with a crisis in their own way but this could very well end up being one of those times where everyone looks back and says it’s hard to believe how incredible Hawthorn has done without their best player. As devastated as I was/am I will never concede defeat being a Hawthorn man. One for all and all for one!

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Why is anyone bringing up Lovell? If he was any good he would be on a list somewhere. After getting delisted, 17 other clubs passed on him.

No thanks.

Games into Worpel, Cousins, Moore.
It is just Mitch Cleary trotting out some rubbish to make it look like we messed up

'Did the Hawks delist their ideal Mitchell replacement?' LMFAO

"If Lovell – who at 174cm was confined to an inside midfield role at Waverley Park – was still on the list, he'd be next in line to fill Mitchell's role."

He actually has no idea at all... Lovell had already been overtaken by players younger than him and he would not be a walk up replacement for Tom. The fact he was delisted and picked up by no one else says it all really.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
87B66C70-2FEB-4304-9967-55E3F1B38E1C.png

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You'd never wish it, but moments like this are the making of a club.
Watch the players pull closer, see the coaches go to new lengths devising winning systems, and feel the raw emotion as this club rises up to win our first 4 games of the season and leave all around catching their breath.
We don't do things any other way than the right way, the Hard Way.
I'm predicting break out seasons by two youngsters who have yet to make names for themselves and wins that leave you prouder than you've ever felt.
I know that's the feeling that will be spread by word and steely gaze within our footy walls this very minute, reckon supporters on here should climb on immediately for the ride.

If this can’t get the melting under control, nothing will. Robbo agrees, Hawthorn’s season is over.

Obviously, TOM out sucks. But show some backbone in the face of adversity, for goodness sake. The team will, thankfully.

Cardworthy bringing that slobbering halfwits posts into this board. ;)

It is just Mitch Cleary trotting out some rubbish to make it look like we messed up

'Did the Hawks delist their ideal Mitchell replacement?' LMFAO

"If Lovell – who at 174cm was confined to an inside midfield role at Waverley Park – was still on the list, he'd be next in line to fill Mitchell's role."

He actually has no idea at all... Lovell had already been overtaken by players younger than him and he would not be a walk up replacement for Tom. The fact he was delisted and picked up by no one else says it all really.
Mitch has clearly forgotten to engage his brain before hitting submit.

TheWaffles

Debutant
Jan 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those taking about stress fractures and breaks. What Tom has couldn’t be one.

The tibia is load bearing. You can develop a stress fracture in that from running.

A fib is not load bearing. Stress fractures caused in those generally come for muscular pull on the bone.

Basically they are both overuse but have different pathologies.

For both to develop in sync is difficult.

Next a stress fracture - you know you have it. Reactions are noticeable but can be ignored. Fractures are a deep and exquisite pain. He would know if he had 2.

Next - I’ve had a stress fracture in a tib develop further. It’s painful - but you ain’t getting an ambulance and geeen whistle. You hobble off like croad in 08.

Tom has had an impact related break. The impact was bad enough to crack both bones.

Accedents happen. Hope they are clean and away from the muscle attachment points. So not near knee or ankle.

For example mine was on the tib post. That a good spot but I still had a year of issues. Mine also was not clean through like his.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
I discovered another positive to this tragedy - many Hawk haters from other clubs (of which there are legion) have suddenly & unsurprisingly changed their view to admitting just how good a player Tom Mitchell is. :drunk:

Mitch has clearly forgotten to engage his brain before hitting submit.
Less than 24 hours after Mitchell breaks his leg, AFL.com.au decides to rate the AFL midfields and places us 15th, right after publishing a rubbish article on how we de-listed Mitchell's "ideal replacement".

Couldn't be much more obvious they are deliberately rubbing our noses in it. Can you imagine them ever doing this to a Swans player? I can't either.

Back