Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys don’t worry it’s going to be fine, remember?
View attachment 563754

Anyway it didn’t work out for whatever reason. We should have kept him if the was possible, but what can you do now.
The unexpected decline of Hannebery (and i’d argue the loss of Mills this year) has made his absence more keenly felt, but it looks like we’re going to go hard in the offseason to improve our list, so fingers crossed.
Thank you for that. Surely the quote will feature in the resignation letter.

Thank you for that. Surely the quote will feature in the resignation letter.

Look 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

I think it’s important to remember that Mitchell did have his deficiencies. From memory, I wanted to keep him (though I’m not confident enough to bet my house on my post history), but it he was repeatedly not doing what he’s asked, I can see why a coach might get dirty on him, even if he is supremely talented.

At the end of the day, Mitchell is on holidays with his big fat medal, while the coach that doesn’t reckon it’s worth tagging him because he’s not damaging enough is busy this Saturday coaching a list that many had declared a lock for the bottom 4.

Listening to Mitchell I'm not sure what people expected Horse to do. Tom had 3 blokes in front of him and they were playing very well. It's not like Hannebery, Kennedy & Parker were all playing like crap and Horse had to make a decision. That decision was to back the players he knew were performing. Mitchell was the youngest and least tried, it sounds like he left more through lack of opportunity and not willing to wait for it to arrive. Should Horse had put Mitchell Infront I wouldn't be shocked we'd have a similar position with Parker leaving due to lack of opportunity.

Bugger the two sides of the argument. It is false equivalence.

The Mule has become a parody. He has form and it is not good on the man management front. Plays furniture (Jack, Hanners, Rohan, Tippett). Plays injured players. Undermines player skills and confidence, and then there is the game plan and refusal to develop his own skills as a coach.
Such a surprise you're not willing to concede there are two sides to the story and instead of even only taking Tom's side, you go for the revisionist history version.
Again I say thank God for the ignore feature and I don't have to read this crap anymore, wish there was an ignore button for the whole damn thread.

Listening to Mitchell I'm not sure what people expected Horse to do. Tom had 3 blokes in front of him and they were playing very well. It's not like Hannebery, Kennedy & Parker were all playing like crap and Horse had to make a decision. That decision was to back the players he knew were performing. Mitchell was the youngest and least tried, it sounds like he left more through lack of opportunity and not willing to wait for it to arrive. Should Horse had put Mitchell Infront I wouldn't be shocked we'd have a similar position with Parker leaving due to lack of opportunity.

What I want to see now is the continued the development of Hayward and Florent and when they become premiership stars things will look a lot rosier in regards to the trade

Such a surprise you're not willing to concede there are two sides to the story and instead of even only taking Tom's side, you go for the revisionist history version.
Again I say thank God for the ignore feature and I don't have to read this crap anymore, wish there was an ignore button for the whole damn thread.

Disappointing. But oh well. Some folk are Horse is mostly right, others take an alternative view.

Horse made him run around in the 2s while being best on

Horse plays , Hanners , Jack etc injured or brings them straight in after an injury

Work it out

Well in your opinion you are absolutely right that he was hard done by as an individual player but that doesn't mean that a coach trying to get a team to gel is wrong in trying to get a fellow to use his assets for the good of the final cause & that is to win a p'ship, not to win a Brownlow.

In terms of Tom being one of the best individual players to play the game, then you are absolutely right in that we made a mistake but as I have said all along, Tom now needs to put that individual brilliance into good use where he can gel with the other 21 players each & every week in order to win a p'ship. I trust he may well do that, but there are no guarantees.

At least Horse provided him with an opportunity to play in a team that challenged for a p'ship twice in his time as a Swan. It fell short but thus far as an individually brilliant Hawk, Tom has been a member of a team that failed to make finals in 2017 & went out in straight sets in 2018, so this reinforces my point that without his team mates & without him playing his role in the team, he will just be one of the many brilliant individual players to have ever played the game.

We take the two clashes we had against the Hawks. We won one game a piece. Both times, George Hewitt played on Tom, both times George beat Tom & both times George scored Brownlow votes & Tom failed to.
So we have the complete opposite in players. Tom is a very exciting player to watch as he collects possessions & clocks up the SuperCoach points & breaks a tonne of individual records. George just does the job asked of him for the good of the team that won't always work out but history has proven can get a team to the ultimate. Refer to ROK in 2012.

I'm happy Tom won the Brownlow Medal & I'm happy we have the money to give to a player like George Hewitt when the time comes for him to get his deserved increased pay for the next contract, which comes with being a consistent high finisher in the club best & fairest.

So we are all right with regards to Tom leaving. It just depends ultimately how the teams finish up.

So tommy isn’t an elite plsuer by the stretch of imagination?

Yes he is elite. Never said he wasn’t. I just think there are much better players in the competition who all had relatively quiet years by their standards opening the door for someone in that rung below like Mitchell or Sidebottom to win a Brownlow.

Kennedy, parker and hanners were ahead of mitchell at the time, but you didnt have to be a genius to realise that the younger player would overtake them very soon. Mitchell easily better than all 3 now

Yes, I always thought of it as karmic inversion of the JPK trade - Josh was a promising player but behind S Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, so it made sense for Hawks to trade him (though I think it was Swans who approached Josh to initiate proceedings).

The one difference was that unlike JPK T-Mitch he was a player with a lot of financial value and we had maxxed out our salary cap. So we had to choose between him, Heeney (a valuable and different skillset), Lloyd (who kept Mitchell out of the team when he first arrived and wouldn't cost nearly as much). So trading Mitchell was the least worst option.

I note almost none of the discussion above refers to the financial decision but that was obviously the biggest single factor. Hopefully we can trade out Hannebery and Rohan and get Tippett paid off and make a play for an early to mid-career backman or midfielder with legspeed.

Been reported a bit and shared here

People chose to dismiss and not believe it

Eg horse having a go at him
Swans offering him massive unders
Going on what's been reported on here, the Swans offered him massive unders and only 100k short of what he wanted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going on what's been reported on here, the Swans offered him massive unders and only 100k short of what he wanted.

Not to drag It back but some reported we offered half of the hawks deal

Kennedy, parker and hanners were ahead of mitchell at the time, but you didnt have to be a genius to realise that the younger player would overtake them very soon. Mitchell easily better than all 3 now

Everything Mitchell has said in the last 24 hours just confirms what many people say about him..me me me me me.

He was playing every game when fit. That wasn't good enough for him, he wanted to be the main man in front of ESTABLISHED stars like JPK and Hanners and to a lesser extent Parker.
If Mitchell wasn't such a selfish twat then he could have worked out that his time will come.

Everything Mitchell has said in the last 24 hours just confirms what many people say about him..me me me me me.

He was playing every game when fit. That wasn't good enough for him, he wanted to be the main man in front of ESTABLISHED stars like JPK and Hanners and to a lesser extent Parker.
If Mitchell wasn't such a selfish twat then he could have worked out that his time will come.
Agree of he waited his time would have come but it is up to the club to convince him to stay when he is being offered more money at other clubs.

Culture is important but you dont win flags with personalities, imo doesnt matter if you are selfish off the field or have a big ego, as long as you can produce the goods on field... thats all that matters.

The fact is we would be a better team with mitchell in it

There was this selfish guy who played in two premierships with a club
They wanted to make him the highest paid player, but he went to another club for a 9 year 10 million deal

They won 2 flags without him, must be because he is selfish

Hey N37, Titch ain't no monster. It is unlike you to be so churlish. Leave that to experts like me!

Hey N37, Titch ain't no monster. It is unlike you to be so churlish. Leave that to experts like me!

In between trying to fool everybody with my lack of "football brain" and being an expert I can't fit in churlish. ;)
But I'll give it a try.

You'll have to excuse me B52...the idea that Horse and the coaching staff just waltzed into training one day and decided to have it in for Tommy I find just a little hard to believe. It might just be my spidey senses playing up.

In between trying to fool everybody with my lack of "football brain" and being an expert I can't fit in churlish. ;)
But I'll give it a try.

You'll have to excuse me B52...the idea that Horse and the coaching staff just waltzed into training one day and decided to have it in for Tommy I find just a little hard to believe. It might just be my spidey senses playing up.

Doubt we will ever agree on this. However I am optimistic you will come to a sensible assessment about Koala jnr.

I will concede on Koala Jnr if you concede that SK Warne is a dirty grubby drug cheat.

It was a case of mothers little helper. SKW was innocent! Free the Great Man!

It was a case of mothers little helper. SKW was innocent! Free the Great Man!

And Joe the camera man sledged his team mate...:think:
If you're over 18 and blame your mum you probably need to have a good hard look at yourself. Or as Fatty would say, give yourself an uppercut.

There was this selfish guy who played in two premierships with a club
They wanted to make him the highest paid player, but he went to another club for a 9 year 10 million deal

They won 2 flags without him, must be because he is selfish
There was a selfish guy who played for the Pies, goes down as one of their best ever players. But while he never won a flag the players he drove away did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back